This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free Honeymoon Suggestions

blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a Honeymoon for the fall, October to be exact. For awhile we really wanted to do a cruise and I really had my heart set on Royal Caribbean. With the recent mass-sickness on cruise ships I changed my mind.

So has anyone had a good time and could share it with me. We were looking at Beaches/Sandals, Atlantis. The all-inclusive seems a good route in a way. I was also looking at private bungalows somewhere in the islands.

Any help would be great.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

while I wasn't gluten-free at the time of my honeymoon, we did bed-and-breakfasts that had kitchens. worked great, and we could cook our own food.

Lisa Mentor

I just googled "gluten free vacations" and there was quite a selection as well as dining places.

Give it a try :)

Sweetfudge Community Regular

I'd still say the cruise is a good idea (they are supposed to be great for gluten-free accomodations).

Disney vacation (we did that, before DX though, and it was a great honeymoon!)

Do a gluten-free resort place. I know there's lots of places out there...I remember reading about a couple of resorts. One in mexico, one in az I think, that were completely gluten-free. Lots of places will accomodate if you give them enough notice. Good luck!

sspitzer5 Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

We are planning a Honeymoon for the fall, October to be exact. For awhile we really wanted to do a cruise and I really had my heart set on Royal Caribbean. With the recent mass-sickness on cruise ships I changed my mind.

So has anyone had a good time and could share it with me. We were looking at Beaches/Sandals, Atlantis. The all-inclusive seems a good route in a way. I was also looking at private bungalows somewhere in the islands.

Any help would be great.

My boyfriend and I have been to Hawaii (Kona, Maui, Kauai) several times and rented condos with a kitchen. It's great because you save a lot of money on breakfast and lunch (because you don't have to go to a restaurant) and you can cook a few dinners. There are many good restaurants on the islands that can accomodate gluten-free meals (however, the best ones are a little expensive).

S

Mtndog Collaborator

I wasn't gluten free on my honeymoon but we went to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca in Costa Rica (Carribean side) and the Costan Rrican diet is definitely lacking in gluten- lots of meat, rice, beans. Yummy stuff! Also right near where we stayed were some resorts. An Argentinian steakhouse, a Thai place. Tthere was one Amercan pizza place and the night we ate there, I slep like 18 hours the next day (hadn't put two and two together yet!).

Here's the link to where we stayed......Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Open Original Shared Link

Guhlia Rising Star

We went to Disney for our honeymoon. We weren't gluten free back then, but we've been to Disney many times since. There are tons of beaches within driving distance of Kissimmee. There are also a lot of fun, walk-around-holding-hands type things to do there. I highly recommend doing the Cirque du Soleil. It's amazing. Disney is one of the easiest places to eat gluten free. If you stay at one of the nicer resorts they will do gluten free room service also. You don't need to do Disney if you don't want to. Downtown Disney is really fun at night. They have a bunch of nightclubs. Their rum and cokes are safe. It's a pretty neat environment.

When are you guys getting married? Congratulations!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jazminecat Newbie
Hi Everyone,

Don't let the media scare you off a cruise. I went on two and had a fabulous time on both of them. The stomach virus that the news likes to talk about on cruise ships is prevalent *anywhere* there are large numbers of people confined to a finite space. Institutions, hospitals, jails, and the like. When I was on the ships I was amazed at how many people would leave the bathroom without washing their hands. Seriously. Who does that?? We carried hand sanitizer in our pockets, didn't touch railings, and didn't do the buffets. After all, those same people with their dirty hands are handling all the utensils. Simple hygienic cautions will make sure you have a great time on a cruise. The best part is that you will have the same waiter and servers for your entire trip, for every meal. You won't need to tell someone every single night that you need to eat gluten free. I'd say if you want to cruise, do it. If you have kids, there are great programs that will keep them busy all day, and they will have a wonderful time. They are safe, and you can relax knowing they are having a great vacation too.

When are you guys getting married? Congratulations!

We are getting married in October of this year. I am happy, scared, and how horrible does this sound not all that excited about planning it. I got my dress though!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. This is a big help!!!!

Guhlia Rising Star

That's soooooooooooooooo exciting! Congratulations! You know what, I didn't want to plan my wedding either... I actually had my sister in law plan most of it for me. I just couldn't handle anything back then (I wasn't gluten free). Planning just didn't sound like fun to me. So, you're not alone in that boat.

Definitely at least consider Florida. It's beautiful that time of year down there. The weather is so nice and there's SO much to do (relaxing stuff too). Plus, it's a relatively cheap vacation.

Mtndog Collaborator

Congratulations! I didn't want to plan my wedding either (didn't want to be psycho-bride) but it ended up being relatively easy (well, easier than I thought it was) and I was sick at the time (had celiac but wasn't gluten-free yet). I was the incredible shrinking bride but it was because of celiac, not a diet!

Costa Rica is in rainy season until the end of October. We went at end of Oct/beg. of Nov.

I have my little flower girl picked out, she is a child who when she was 2months old was placed in my home as a foster child (my parents took foster children) she stayed with us until she was almost 3, then got adopted to a very nice couple who live about 15 minutes from my parents. The woman is in a wheelchair, she was hit by a drunk driver when she was 16, she is paralyzed from the waist down. They allow us to see her whenever we want, she is 8 now, she can read and write so she writes me letters all the time. It is a great relationship and I am glad to still be involved in her life. I am trying to find a cute dress for her.

Here is her picture, it is from 2 years ago but she still looks the same. Her name is Leah.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived