* * * * * 1 votes

My Gluten Free Weight Loss Story- 80 Lbs Down

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AutumnE_*

Guest_AutumnE_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:26 PM

I started this diet a few weeks before I became a member here. I first went just gluten free and weight loss was slow. As intolerances developed I went on a diet of just meat, fruits, and veggies except potatoes, corn , and grains. I also avoided dairy. Also I only drank water which I think was a huge part of it.

I have lost 80 lbs and feel so much better, Im not at my goal yet but Im getting there :) I havent felt hungry either and never counted calories. It amazed me it worked this well. If I can do it, anyone can. My weight gain started coming in 1998. Before then I was underweight. I tried so many different diets (all with gluten of course) and nothing worked.

For anyone struggling with weight problems, Try avoiding processed foods. Its been my saving grace. It wasnt easy at first but after the cravings went away, especially my caffiene addiction, it was easy.

Autumn

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:02 PM

Autumn
I'm so happy you shared your story.
i for one find it so encouraging.
I lost 50 #'s when i first started and then the added intollerances crept in..
gave up dairy FINALLY LAST Wednesday so pray it helps.
I've fought the dairy. just hated to give up cheese and ice cream.
they were my main treats. gluten-free of course.

then started baking some cookies banana breads etc and haven't been on the scales in a month so don't know what my weight is but clothes are still big on me and taking them in.

I think your plan is basic and should really work.
thanks judy in philly

Judy in Southern CA

#3 mn farm gal

mn farm gal

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:07 PM

Congrats to you! That is awsome to lose like that. I have gained some weight since starting the diet but I am not a big fruit and veggie fan and have turned to the wrong foods and now I am trying to eat mostly fruits, veggies and meats to lose the weight I have gained. I hope it works for me too.

#4 Guest_AutumnE_*

Guest_AutumnE_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:17 PM

Judy- I had the same problem! As soon as other intolerances started my weight stalled and for a couple of weeks it started to go up, it made me nervous. But after I eliminated them it has been easy. I struggled so bad with giving up soda. I was having migraines and couldnt sleep for weeks due to it. I switched to a very occasional virgil's root beer which gives me a pop when at functions everyone else is enjoying one and yet no caffiene or funky ingredients to make me sick. Good luck with your weight loss also and congrats on the weight you have lost.

mnfarmgal- I bet it will work for you too as long as intolerances dont start up. I found I dont even want to snack. Food does get boring sometimes. I try to use olive oil and mccormick seasonings to give it a little flavor. It does make you eat only for hunger since its hard to crave foods that are so healthy.

#5 jukie

jukie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:47 AM

Hi, Autumn! Thanks for sharing your story...it's so inspiring to hear from others who've struggled with weight and found success after going gluten free.

Weight has been a lifelong struggle for me...usually trying to keep it off, though occasionally underweight as well. But it wasn't until my DS was born five years ago that the weight gain became uncontrollable...and NOTHING helped. I wasn't even eating that much....SERIOUSLY! And exercise made no difference even though I loved going to the gym.

Anyway, after eliminating gluten/casein/egg/soy almost 5 months ago, my constant hunger and lifelong cravings have completely disappeared. And though I still have a long way to go, I've already lost 60 pounds without even trying...WOOHOO!!! Weight loss was not my primary goal when going gluten free, but it's definitely a welcome bonus.

Thanks again Autumn and Judy for sharing your stories. It's important to let others know that being overweight and gluten intolerant are not mutually exclusive...despite what the doctors may tell you <_<

#6 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:08 AM

Great news on the successful weight loss Autumn and the others that have posted! :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#7 jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:22 AM

Congrats!!! =)

I'm also one who was having weight issues prior to going gluten-free.

Since going 100% gluten-free and sticking with it (Nov 15th) - I've lost 40 lbs!!!

I gained 70 lbs with my last pregnancy, the one that did me in. And, I'm finally getting rid of the baby weight, and he's 16 months old now! LOL!! I have another 30 to go..... but in the words of the late, great, James Brown... I feel good!!!
Jayhawkmom -
Mom of three....
Jay - 11
Bean - 8
Ian - 3

#8 Guest_AutumnE_*

Guest_AutumnE_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:55 PM

Thanks so much and congratulations to all the other losers out there :) I finally feel like Im me again and on my road to health. I felt like I was close to 80 and Im only 34.

Im so happy that others have found the same joy with the gluten-free diet I have.

#9 rtilil

rtilil

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:43 AM

hi, everyone,

thanks so much for sharing your stories. i was just diagnosed, i'm 58, and i realize that i've probably had celiac since 6th grade... anyway, i am really trying to lose weight, about 30 pounds, and have begun to count calories. i'm on the overeater's anonymous gray sheet diet which is high protein, low carb. and i'm feeling much better, although the weight is not moving all that fast. i did , however, lose inches, probably because i'm not bloated any more. also, sometimes i wake up with a swollen face, (that used to be an everyday occurrence), and i can't seem to trace it to anything that i've eaten. any advice.... and there's one more thing. i'm a little worried about the fact that i eat the same foods all the time and i'm afraid of developing an intolerance to them. i'm allergic to all dairy including goat's, peanuts, sugar, wheat (of course), and all food additives. i'll be grateful for any advice.

thanks,

reva.

#10 sandys

sandys

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:21 AM

:rolleyes:

hi, everyone,

thanks so much for sharing your stories. i was just diagnosed, i'm 58, and i realize that i've probably had celiac since 6th grade... anyway, i am really trying to lose weight, about 30 pounds, and have begun to count calories. i'm on the overeater's anonymous gray sheet diet which is high protein, low carb. and i'm feeling much better, although the weight is not moving all that fast. i did , however, lose inches, probably because i'm not bloated any more. also, sometimes i wake up with a swollen face, (that used to be an everyday occurrence), and i can't seem to trace it to anything that i've eaten. any advice.... and there's one more thing. i'm a little worried about the fact that i eat the same foods all the time and i'm afraid of developing an intolerance to them. i'm allergic to all dairy including goat's, peanuts, sugar, wheat (of course), and all food additives. i'll be grateful for any advice.

thanks,

reva.

#11 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:02 AM

Well, I had originally lost 40 lbs but because of extreme stress in the last six months I have gained it all back. I have been eating tons of chocolate and coke, which I really need to stop doing.

Contrats AutumnE.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#12 Guest_pugsysmom_*

Guest_pugsysmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:17 PM

I, too have lost a lot of weight. Seventy-three pounds so far. I drink water and eat no starches. Prior to Celiac dx, I weighed 188 and now down to 115 at 5'6".

#13 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:52 PM

I, too have lost a lot of weight. Seventy-three pounds so far. I drink water and eat no starches. Prior to Celiac dx, I weighed 188 and now down to 115 at 5'6".

I wish I could say this was my story with weight loss. But no, I am the one who has more or less stayed the same.

I don't eat much in the way of processed food, and I still eat a bit of bread, cakes and potatoes, but much less than I did before. I have already cut out breakfast cereal. I know that if I start eating the way suggested in this thread, the weight will drop off, but I am just a bit reluctant as it completely goes against all the food education that I have had.

Maybe I should just take the bull by the horns and take the plunge and do it, so that I can post in this thread that I have lost the 20kilos (42 pounds?) I need to loose. But I am dreading not eating potatoes with my evening meal. But maybe I have just been inspired to do this. I think I have a couple of hurdles to jump before I can come to terms with this and all its implications.

Cathy

#14 Creative_Soul

Creative_Soul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:08 AM

Congratulations, AutumnE (and everyone else)!

I myself haven't lost as much weight as you have, but I am petite and 10 extra pounds looks like 20! I've lost 20lbs so far, and I am almost completely off of all processed foods. I am allergic to sugar, and the surprising thing that I found was that when I stopped eating sugar and began cutting out processed food, that I no longer craved sweet stuff AND I no longer craved salty foods or things like potato chips by the bag (which I found out that I'm allergic to as well)! I also have cut way down on eating grains.
Gluten-free since 10/05 - Positive dietary response with Doctor's validation! - Debilitating migraines, constant dizziness and lightheadedness gone; anxiety & panic attacks, depression, agoraphobia and extreme exhaustion considerably lessoned

Dairy/Casein Intolerant
Soy, Cabbage, Sugar, Peanut, Shellfish, Caffeine, Egg, Potato and Tomato allergies / intolerances

Sporadic reactions to: Poultry

Avoiding all preservatives and additives

Also Multiple Chemical/Environmental Sensitivities

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Pulmonary Embolism - 1999

Dance, when you're broken open.
Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.
Dance in the middle of fighting.
Dance in your blood.
Dance, when you are perfectly free.

RUMI

#15 Guest_AutumnE_*

Guest_AutumnE_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:51 PM

Reva- Im not sure what it might be, Have you tried an elimination diet?

Rusla- i know all too well the power of chocolate and caffiene :) I hope life eases up on you so you can get focused again on yourself.

Pugsysmom- Congrats, thats a wonderful weight loss!

Cathy- weight loss is very hard for me when I eat potatoes but Im intolerant to nightshades and have allergies with them.

Creative soul- Congrats also, I was the same way its amazing how the processed stuff packs on the pounds regardless of the calories you eat sometimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: