Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Enthusiasm, What Do You Do To Keep It Going?

9 posts in this topic

I am not a person to sit around and have pitty parties. I look at problems head on and deal with the new challenges. I've been gluten-free for 10 weeks and although this has been a lifestyle change, I'm adjusting well. I am given a dose of enthusiasm every day with I move and my joints don't hurt, when my mental fog feels lifted and when I see my energy level rise.

I am 47 years old and have been sick for 15 years. I have waxed and wained for about 10 years with periods as long as 6 months at a time that I feel better. Usually something would attack my immune system and it would take me 6 months to get back on my feet.

When I was dx with celiac in June it was a light bulb moment. So many symptoms all came together and once starting the diet I could not believe my improvement. Am I ready to run a marathon? Maybe not right now ...

Although each day may not be as bright and sunny as the one before, or days with a hormone change might bring a little more pain, . BUT I know I am a lot healthier than I was 2 months ago and that gives me strenght.

What brings you enthusiasm?

What keeps you motivated?

I'm really like to know.

Melissa

Ads by Google:
What brings you enthusiasm?

What keeps you motivated?

I'm really like to know.

Motivation

- Generally, doing what's best for my health

- My desire to feel normal again (and know what normal feels like)

- Wanting to put on a 10-20 pounds (way down on the list below not getting sick, but still a goal)

Enthusiasm

- Trying a new and delicious gluten-free food

- Posting -- makes me feel like I have support from others, control over this diet, and increases my knowledge of the disease. Also gives me ideas.

I was just sort of thinking about this and I guess doing what's right for your health isn't all that much about motivation -- a lot of it is just....doing it cause it's that or purposely messing up your body....I mean, my motivation for being as much of a paranoid nutcase about gluten is to feel better, but I think whether or not you have motivation, it's something you have to do anyway.........I am starting to doubt if this makes sense, but I'll post it anyway, in case it does :D

For me, it's all about feeling well so I can go out and live the way I want to, not being limited by my body. Want to try something new? If you're not feeling well, you're not likely to get up the motivation, and then, at the end of it all, you've got a lot of sitting around on the couch and not trying things you like.

I'm enthusiastic about finding new - and fast - things to cook that taste so good you don't care they're gluten-free, and nor do your friends.

I have been gluten-free for 13 years. I have times of struggles, but it is not worth it to ever not be gluten-free!! I just always remember how it feels to be sick and then the pizza, doughnuts, cookies that everyone else is eating are not tempting at all!

It seems like coin-op thinks he has it all figured out. If that is the case than why is he subscribing to this forum? This forum is here to help support each other, not try to prove that one person's diet is better than some one else

Melissa--

What keeps me motivated are caring people such as the members of this message board, family, and friends. Surround yourself with people who care about you because they respect you for who you are. Have patience with others, because there are numerous people who do not understand the impact this disease has. Persevere--don't give up on the positive aspects of your life.

Best Wishes,

What keeps me motivated the most above anything else is knowing that one day I will be symptom free for the rest of my life! Now that would be wonderful! I've been sick for so long I forget what it feels like to be healthy.

coin-op,

I'm glad that you feel healthy and found a diet that works for you! Many people, like myself, would love to feel healthy like you do!

But people like me (and I'm sure there are many others on this board) have been gluten free for a long time now and are still struggling. Food is a daily struggle for me. Even plain blah foods like plain rice and bananas will make me sick. Unfortunately, I now have to rely on medication to lessen my symptoms.

Anyway, I don't want to bore you....... I just want you to understand.