This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Elizabeth Haselbeck Said She Has Celiac!

TBOX

bluejeangirl Contributor
I'm sure it's not coincidental that she was promoting the new AB beer but if that is what it took for her to 'come out' so to speak I'm thrilled that AB approached her. Maybe she had them donate money to Celiac research or something. AB is a huge ABC sponsor and having anyone on The View drink Redbridge on air is priceless advertising. Either way it works and at least she mentioned infertility in addition to IBS. Hopefully they will do a proper health segment on Celiac next week. We should all send Elisabeth TY e-mails today and ask they do so.

Why would you need to advertise gluten free beer. It'll spread like wild fire among celiacs the minute its mentioned that their even thinking about brewing it. I think Elisabeth mentioned to Rosie during make-up she can finally drink beer since Rosie is a big beer fan. Rosie probably pushed her to say something about the disease since Elisabeth wouldn't come out with it. I could never understand why she wouldn't either. Anyway I'm glad she did and it was very light and funny.

Gail

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GFinVA Newbie

I didn't get to watch the episode but I taped it so I'm looking forward to checking it out tonight.

Random side note about the guy on the show who was decorating cakes - I happened to meet him at an event at the Baltimore Zoo last summer. I explained that I couldn't try his cake b/c I'm gluten-free. Not only did he know a TON about being gluten-free, he has a friend who is a baker who has a gluten-free bakery in Baltimore. The website for the bakery is www.glutenfreedesserts.com. The baker is named Renee and she is gluten-free so you know she's not cooking with any funny stuff if she's one of us :P The items are a little on the pricey side, but I would certainly splurge for a special occasion. He mentioned that she is known for making great wedding cakes and sells her products at a number of retailers in the MD/DE area. I think I have a price list/order form saved on my computer - if anyone is interested let me know!

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
Geoff :D

It was on within the first 10? 15? minutes or so. They usually sit around a table and "talk" to start the show, and it was while they were still in that segment, rather than when they have guests, etc.

thanks. It was short, but good. I thought it was a shame she never really said what any of the normal symptoms are. I know they aren't pretty, but she could have at least mentioned "intestinal distress"

Geoff

rez Apprentice

Not trying to be negative but.........My mom emailed me and was so disappointed. It's funny, she shares my passion for awareness. Was that the SEGMENT? Or is there more to come next week? That was a blip!!! I hope they do a real segment next week. It's great to get publicity, but she should get some SERIOUS air time for this. I like the one poster's idea. Thank her for getting the word out, but ask for a "Health Segment" and maybe an interview with a Celiac Expert. My mom said Barbara Walters didn't even know how to pronounce the disease. That's pretty pathetic. Again, I'm happy for the publicity, but I think they definitely need to do a "SEGMENT" on it.

Jestgar Rising Star

email her. Tell her how fabulous it is that she's started to make the public more aware of Celiac and you can't wait for more.

burdee Enthusiast
Not trying to be negative but.........My mom emailed me and was so disappointed. It's funny, she shares my passion for awareness. Was that the SEGMENT? Or is there more to come next week? That was a blip!!! I hope they do a real segment next week. It's great to get publicity, but she should get some SERIOUS air time for this. I like the one poster's idea. Thank her for getting the word out, but ask for a "Health Segment" and maybe an interview with a Celiac Expert. My mom said Barbara Walters didn't even know how to pronounce the disease. That's pretty pathetic. Again, I'm happy for the publicity, but I think they definitely need to do a "SEGMENT" on it.

I was also disappointed that the celiac disease discussion was so short. I timed it at 5 minutes total. HOWEVER Elizabeth did a great job pointing out how many people suffer from celiac disease, that's it's often misdiagnosed and that abstaining from gluten helps celiacs heal. 5 minutes doesn't seem like much, but 5 minutes about celiac disease on a national, popular tv show seems like a LOT! I also suspect Elizabeth did NOT want to talk about symptoms. She seemed a little embarrassed about that aspect. So I'm uncertain how much more she would want to discuss on 'the View'. Nevertheless I emailed her a thank you before the show.

BURDEE

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I heard from my mom that next week will be an actual segment on the show. Today was just a mentioning. I dont know where she got the info from or if its accurate. dont throw anything at me if i am wrong!! :ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I missed it.. Sounds like she did a really good job of explaining.

Rusla Enthusiast

I am sad that I never got to see it but as I work Fridays they pciked the wrong day.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I can't imagine - with all the symptoms, all the manifestations, all the methods of testing, and all the approaches of dealing with it that are really out there - that there is *any* way to do this in the media and make everyone happy. As for the beer - any advertising is good advertising... spreading like widefire amongst 1% of the population probably won't be enough for AB, and I'm sure they'll want more publicity than that. Anyway, I'm glad it was something. Maybe they'll do more.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

I wrote a very brief note (before the show aired) to Ms. Hasselbeck expressing my gratefulness for her willingness to discuss the disease, with a very polite suggestion that she mention the major and systemic symptoms of Celiac that aren't usually covered....particularly the mental/neurological issues... which nearly ruined my life. I don't think there was enough time to cover this - hopefully in another show :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

hi ALL

Jess in carmel told me how to link ot listserv and found a link today from a guy's blog that gave a indept report with pictures up on his site.

here is a link.

Open Original Shared Link

judy

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I'm sorry, I was disappointed in the segment. Kev and I watched it together and I feel the same as him--it was just an advertisement for beer and a undiagnosed celiac or family member would not have gotten enough from the tiny little segment to even realize what was bring talked about or that the beer was different. They spent more time slopping beer all over than really talking.

To be honest, I used to love Rosie O'Donnell, but I think she has had too much bad publicity as of late and I do not appreciate the nasty language from her, I had almost decided to shut the show off just before the segment came on. It went from Rosie's loud ranting to quiet little Elisabeth and immediately into Rosie and Elisabeth drinking. I kind of felt insulted and almost like celiac is a joke. I do hope they do give it a decent segment, without the beer.

jerseyangel Proficient
hi ALL

Jess in carmel told me how to link ot listserv and found a link today from a guy's blog that gave a indept report with pictures up on his site.

here is a link.

Open Original Shared Link

judy

Thanks for posting that, Judy. For anyone who missed the show, it's a great recap :D

Ann1231 Enthusiast
I'm sorry, I was disappointed in the segment. Kev and I watched it together and I feel the same as him--it was just an advertisement for beer and a undiagnosed celiac or family member would not have gotten enough from the tiny little segment to even realize what was bring talked about or that the beer was different. They spent more time slopping beer all over than really talking.

To be honest, I used to love Rosie O'Donnell, but I think she has had too much bad publicity as of late and I do not appreciate the nasty language from her, I had almost decided to shut the show off just before the segment came on. It went from Rosie's loud ranting to quiet little Elisabeth and immediately into Rosie and Elisabeth drinking. I kind of felt insulted and almost like celiac is a joke. I do hope they do give it a decent segment, without the beer.

I'm so glad you wrote this. I felt the same. I can't stand Rosie so it was hard to sit thru the show before the segment came on. I was disappointed that Elizabeth didn't describe symptoms or how you should be tested or anything else. It was nice to have it mentioned but I felt it was done in a glossed over way, not enough to stress the importance of it or how it truly can affect your lifestyle and long term health. I was kind of disgusted by the beer antics. I think that gave a very shallow look at celiacs and what is important to us.

Sorry for the rant but I was very disappointed by the way it was handled.

Ann

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Exactly Ann and we are not alone--I am reading the same opinions in other forums too.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I really think you need to cut her some slack. <_<

It seems we beg and beg for exposure, but every single time something brings celiac into mainstream media, there are a flood of complaints that it wasn't good enough. I for one think that considering she had to deal with time constraints by a producer that said "Okay, you can have X number of minutes to do you stuff", that she did a fantastic job, in my opinion. How about us showing her our support, instead of critisizing that it wasn't good enough, or informative enough, or long enough, or detailed enough. Considering there are over 200 symptoms of celiac, it certainly doesn't surprise me that SOMETHING has to be left out! <_<

I for one am incredibly thankful to her for "coming out", and pushing the producers to get permission to use up "The View"'s valuable air time to discuss it and bring it to America's attention, no matter how brief it may be......

Besides, perhaps that first show was just a teaser, and there's more to come..... ;)

larry mac Enthusiast

It was a little haphazardly done. But that seems to be the nature of the show; they're all talking at the same time and nobody will shup up for 5 seconds (especially rosie). Topics seem to last about one minute and they're off to something else. I tivo'd it and replayed it numerous times to ensure the accuracy of the following.

A few mismanaged moments (or dumb attacks):

~ elizabeth states that "gluten is a protein found in barley, some oats, wheat and definately rye".

~ rosie asks how do you know you've got it and elizabeth says "because it's not pretty (down there)", not mentioning blood tests and biopsies.

~ she talks about being on survivor and feeling good for the first time in a long time because she wasn't eating anything, only fish & rice, "thought maybe I was either allergic to the united states or...

~ appropos of nothing, poor joey then declares "that's why the japenese are so skinny, fish & rice"! (what?)

~ rosie then says " because she wan't getting the toxic poisoning from barley".

(~ barbs then asks about the family thing and elizabeth mentions the genetic testing for her daughter.)

~ we then have the big beer spill and it's over.

Never once was BREAD and everything related to it ever mentioned! Not donuts, pizza, hamburgers or the million other things that are so all-encompassing to this disease. All the emphasis was placed on barley & rye. So to me, I think many viewers may be thinking "well I don't eat barley or rye (who does?)".

There was some good info, but not much, and basically, I feel it was a wasted opportunity!

Joanie & Meg Newbie

:rolleyes:

[/quote

My husband watched the show and thought soooo much more should have been said. This is a first post and I am not sure what I'm doing, but thanks for the help I've gotten by reading this board.

Joanie

larry mac Enthusiast

Dear CK,

I wasn't replying to your post. Its seems we both posted at exactly the same time and yours went on first. Sorry about that, I guess I didn't give them much "slack", did I? Bad timing on my part.

best regards, lm

marciab Enthusiast

I don't watch the show much anymore, but when I did I remember most of Elisabeth's segments being something that is pertinent in her life. Usually light topics ... like how to shop on the cheap, baby items, didn't she do a segment on maternity clothes ? , new mom info, etc.

Elisabeth is like any other NEWBIE to celiac. Just happy to be able to drink beer and looking for foods like so many of us ... Some way to be "normal" again ...

I say we cut her and the show some slack. Hopefully, they will read our emails and follow it up with some in depth information. It is probably a good idea to email Barbara since she is the only Journalist in the group .... Journalist like to get to the bottom of things ...

IMHO .... Marcia

Canadian Karen Community Regular
It was a little haphazardly done. But that seems to be the nature of the show; they're all talking at the same time and nobody will shup up for 5 seconds (especially rosie). Topics seem to last about one minute and they're off to something else. I tivo'd it and replayed it numerous times to ensure the accuracy of the following.

A few mismanaged moments (or dumb attacks):

~ elizabeth states that "gluten is a protein found in barley, some oats, wheat and definately rye".

~ rosie asks how do you know you've got it and elizabeth says "because it's not pretty (down there)", not mentioning blood tests and biopsies.

~ she talks about being on survivor and feeling good for the first time in a long time because she wasn't eating anything, only fish & rice, "thought maybe I was either allergic to the united states or...

~ appropos of nothing, poor joey then declares "that's why the japenese are so skinny, fish & rice"! (what?)

~ rosie then says " because she wan't getting the toxic poisoning from barley".

(~ barbs then asks about the family thing and elizabeth mentions the genetic testing for her daughter.)

~ we then have the big beer spill and it's over.

Never once was BREAD and everything related to it ever mentioned! Not donuts, pizza, hamburgers or the million other things that are so all-encompassing to this disease. All the emphasis was placed on barley & rye. So to me, I think many viewers may be thinking "well I don't eat barley or rye (who does?)".

There was some good info, but not much, and basically, I feel it was a wasted opportunity!

No problem, larry mac, I wasn't thinking it was at me.... ;)

Rusla Enthusiast

I think why we don't get a lot of air time on anything and this included when it was Celiac awareness week here is because we are not "big name" yet. Meaning if it was cancer, heart attacks or three-headed whatevers then we would get a great deal of exposure. I think that would render us more notice is making the fact that it can unfortunately cause other very serious illnesses. A little exposure is better than none.

rez Apprentice

I think we all need to remember that we are on the same side. Everyone is saying, the publicity is great, BUT we all want to help others. I liked how the one poster made mention that someone out with symptoms probably wouldn't be running to their doctor's office. We all have such a passion and many have suffered sooooooooo much that all we WANT to do is help others not have to go through what we did. It's just that you get your hopes up, and then are kind of let down. Again, it's AWESOME that they mentioned it, but I think it could have been done it a more serious, heart felt manner. Many stories, including my own, are stories of struggles and months if not years of frustration. Again, please, don't think I'm putting them totally down, but I think the Celiac community deserves at least a segment. Portray a sweet family and show what they've gone through, and then have the healthy little child run out. Oprah is what we need! Kudos to Elisabeth for mentioning it. A thank you email would be great, and ask for a more in-depth follow up.

4getgluten Rookie

I didn

Archived