This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Type Diet Could Improve Health

Candy

Candy Contributor

Even though this is not about celiac,it is about general health .You might feel better over all if you follow or are aware of that fact that some foods don't mesh well with you blood type,and the ones that do are better for you.It's a concept ,an idea,and a researched subject. Try and get the blood type diet book at your library,or buy on amazon .com and of course look up "Blood Type Diet" in a search engine and see what you get.There is a lot of information on line,even without renting or buying the book,which you may want to do later.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Michi8 Contributor

I have friends who swear by the blood type diet too. I did look into a book about the Blood Type diet and food allergies (written by Dr. d'Adamo.) But I had a really hard time believing it would actually be helpful. The lists of problem foods seemed quite random to me, and then to further divide it into secretor vs non-secretor (which you could test for by buying a kit from Dr. d'Adamo!) just made it seem even more unlikely. I returned the book to the library the next day. ;) Guess I'm just too much a skeptic.

I'd be interested in hearing form others whether they've had success with this type of diet or not!

Michelle

gf4life Enthusiast

I followed it for a while. I even went ahead and got the secretor test done. I was supprised to find I was a secretor since I had so many health problems that were more associated with non-sectretors. I am a type A-secretor. I wouldn't recommend the Blood Type Diet to others, but the funny thing is that I might still be eating gluten and feeling horrible if I had never done the diet! Type A is supposed to avoid certain kinds of wheat, and dairy. So I cut both out completely and coincidentally cut out gluten. I wasn't eating anything with gluten or dairy and felt great. It was when I finally made it out of town and bought some spelt flour (acceptable for type A) to make bread and got terribly sick on two slices of bread that I started doing more research on "wheat free baking" and found out about Celiac Disease. It was like a lightbulb going off over my head. I knew what had been wrong with me all my life!

I did find some health benefits while on the Blood Type Diet, but I wasn't sure if that was from eating gluten and dairy free or following the BTD. I chose not to follow it while I went back on gluten for testing, and then opted not to go back on it since I already had to exclude gluten, dairy and soy from my diet and I did not want the list of acceptable foods to get smaller. Soy, that was another issue. Type A is supposed to be a semi-vegetarian diet, with the main protein coming from soy. I am severely allergic to soy and I can't possibly go without protein each day.

I also had issues when I got the BTD Encyclopedia last and there seemed to be some things that I felt were conflicted with the info in the other books (I have them all). I just didn't see that it could make that much of a difference in my health if I ate a banana, a tomato, some coconut, tangerines, oranges, potatos or cabbage (some of my avoid foods!). I don't feel bad after I eat them, so what is the issue? Then there are things like I could eat peanuts, but not peanut oil?! How do I get the oil out of the peanut? Or is it the way the oil is processed? I do feel better if I avoid pork and beef, but they only wanted me eating 0-3 servings of chicken a week, lean meats (but not beef or pork) 0-1 serving a week, and fish 1-3 servings a week. What the heck was I supposed to eat for the other meals! Soy I guess, but I couldn't do that. There are at least 7 other meals a week to find a protein for if you don't count breakfast! I just found it a little unrealistic.

I find my health is much improved by eating gluten free and dairy free, and by avoiding soy. I also find that cutting a lot of refined sugars, unhealthy fats, and caffeine out of my diet further improved my health and allowed me to finally start loosing weight.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I too tried the Eat Right for Your Blood Type Diet and only ended up getting ill. I too, am a type A and had already given up gluten when I tried the diet. It says that type A's should not have dairy, so I gave up my dairy and drank 8th Continent Soy Milk and soon became very ill. This is when I found out I was intolerant of soy. I too, do not eat pork or beef.

I think good judgment with your lifestyle is the best way to go.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Personally, I think the blood type diet is total nonsense. I checked what I should be eating according to the blood type diet, and it is almost entirely opposite to what I should eat. All the foods I am intolerant to (other than the nightshades) are supposed to be 'most beneficial', and the foods I can actually tolerate are supposed to be bad for me.

On the other hand, finding out what my metabolic type is (there are the protein type, the carb type and the mixed type, and of course anything in between, and I am an extreme protein type) has helped me a whole lot. And curiously, I am supposed to cut out all grains on that, and I am very intolerant to them all.

And if I don't eat protein (and no, I cannot eat soy) for every meal and snack, I lose all my energy and feel even worse. Meat is the only thing I can eat for protein, because I am intolerant to legumes and eggs as well as gluten and dairy (and a million other things). But I am a type A, and I am supposed to be a vegetarian according to the blood type diet!

Guest cassidy

I had heard about this and looked it up. My husband and I both have the same blood type. He loves meat and actually hates cheese and only likes the typical male veggies. I hate meat and couldn't live without dairy because that is where I get most of my protein. I'm not sure two people could have more different eating habits. I never pursued it but thought it was funny that we were supposed to be on the same diet when we like such different foods.

lovegrov Collaborator

First, this is NOT a criticism of the original poster. I am NOT saying this shouldn't have been posted.

I agree with another poster that the blood type diet is bunk. If you do a google search you can find many articles debunking it. It's not based at all on any provable science.

You will also find testimonials from happy people who feel much better following the advice, but stop and think about it. If tens of millions of people have read this book and let's say millions have tried the advice, it's going to work for some small percentage. However, any one of us could come up with a similar eating plan out of thin air and that plan would also work for a certain percentage of people.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Richard, I am glad you said that about it NOT being criticism of Candy. I also want to say it. Candy, this is definitely not criticism of you. A lot of people believe in the blood type diet, even doctors. And of course, it will work for some, and they are the ones who's testimonies they'll post.

And that is just it. There are too many people who believe everybody should eat exactly the same to be healthy, that one diet will work for all people. Nothing could be further from the truth. The saying, "One person's food is another's poison" is definitely true. We as people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance of course are aware of that to some degree already.

And if I would want to follow the blood type diet, I surely wouldn't live long.

Gentleheart Enthusiast

It's a funny thing about the eat right for your bloodtype diet. While most notable dietary gurus and scientists do not think it has any merit for the same reasons many of you have stated, some people do seem to achieve better health while on it. I wonder if it isn't the complete elimination of grain and natural increase in protein consumption in those O types who are actually getting most of the results, but for a different reason.....celiac. Much of the great results from the Atkins diet could be for the same reason, undiagnosed celiac, much more than for low carbs. In my opinion it's good to not leave any rocks unturned. I don't personally agree with the diet because I believe it to have a faulty foundation, but I'm glad I studied it just in case. I want to always keep learning.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I also don't think there's anything particularly useful in the specifics of the blood type diet. I think that there is value in that it provides a framework for suggestions of methodologies for people to try in order to experiment and determine what works best for their body. Basically, it's useful as additional thought and discussion material, but - imho - not as strict guidance.

rtilil Rookie

hi, everyone, i would like to add that for me the blood type diet was a real lifesaver. i was constantly feeling miserable, etc. and doctors were absolutely no help. i follow the diet very strictly and now added the gluten free aspect and i feel that that was the last piece of the puzzle for me in terms of understanding what makes me feel good and what doesn't.

reva.

Tim-n-VA Contributor

With a lot of diets, there are coincidental benefits that have nothing to do with the marketed product. My sister-in-law is now doing the blood-type diet but a few years ago she was on a diet that selected food based on color. I don't know the details of that but hypotheically most of us on this board would benefit from not eating anything that is "brown". I wouldn't mean that the color was significant it just would coincide with the color of wheat. We also would eliminate things we could eat without problem.

Michi8 Contributor

I believe that no one diet has the answer for everyone, and that most of these fad diets have significant flaws. To eliminate a food just because someone says you shouldn't eat it because of your blood type, heritage, eye colour, etc. could potentially eliminate an important source of nutrition. When we're talking about intolerances, allergies, known-health issues, it's a different story. One has to listen to their own body about what foods affect their healthy positively or negatively...even when it flies the in face of what medical practitioners tell us.

Michelle

gf4life Enthusiast
I don't know the details of that but hypotheically most of us on this board would benefit from not eating anything that is "brown".

Okay, now that is a diet that I could not follow because it would eliminate chocolate! No way! I can live without gluten, but not without chocolate! ;):lol: But seriously, you should see me when I find a gluten free, dairy free, soy (protein) free chocolate bar. I buy at least 6 of them!

Mango04 Enthusiast
But seriously, you should see me when I find a gluten free, dairy free, soy (protein) free chocolate bar. I buy at least 6 of them!

ditto! There should really be more gluten, dairy and soy-free chocolate in this world!

On the other hand, finding out what my metabolic type is (there are the protein type, the carb type and the mixed type, and of course anything in between, and I am an extreme protein type) has helped me a whole lot. And curiously, I am supposed to cut out all grains on that, and I am very intolerant to them all.

ditto again! Except I'm a mixed type. I think the book "The Metabolic Typing Diet" is well worth a read. I actually wish it had a different title, because it kind of sounds like a fad diet or something, which it really absolutely is not.

Candy Contributor
Okay, now that is a diet that I could not follow because it would eliminate chocolate! No way! I can live without gluten, but not without chocolate! ;):lol: But seriously, you should see me when I find a gluten free, dairy free, soy (protein) free chocolate bar. I buy at least 6 of them!
Chocolate does not contain Gluten(or so I thought) and is Safe and Neutral for all bloodtypes O,A,B,and AB, so I always keep some in.It's like the only thing I can eat-Phew! Milk Choc does have Casein though I don't know if I'm allergic to that.My mother has my genes and Bloodtype and she can eat everything and I can't boo hoo.
Candy Contributor
Personally, I think the blood type diet is total nonsense. I checked what I should be eating according to the blood type diet, and it is almost entirely opposite to what I should eat. All the foods I am intolerant to (other than the nightshades) are supposed to be 'most beneficial', and the foods I can actually tolerate are supposed to be bad for me.

And if I don't eat protein (and no, I cannot eat soy) for every meal and snack, I lose all my energy and feel even worse. Meat is the only thing I can eat for protein, because I am intolerant to legumes and eggs as well as gluten and dairy (and a million other things). But I am a type A, and I am supposed to be a vegetarian according to the blood type diet!

How could celiac testing hurt you? I got tested at a lab online.You send in a saliva or stool sample,it costs $160-$350.They'll tell you if you have it.www.enterolab.com I'm trying the Bloodtype diet now I've been doing for about 3 weeks,my gut has primarily stopped hurting,and I feel more peaceful overall.I feel less stress,really,the stress just departed,but I didn't feel a major physical change,except no gut pain.I'm Blood Type B,and Caucasian(DNA test says soGerman/Austrian-Iceman Type K),chicken and tomatoes are suppossedly full of bad Lectins for B blooders.Turkey,Lamb,Deer,most fish,cottage cheese,bananas,purple plums,pineapple,green tea are highly beneficial for type B's.I want to break my blood diet and have some wheat pizza,with tomato sauce. Type B's are meat and milk eaters,I'm ;) gonna have a steak ...for breakfast,and some yougurt. When I don't feel well I eat all veggies like A blooders ,and I eat them raw ,raw carrots,and zucchini ,and cabbage.
Candy Contributor
It's a funny thing about the eat right for your bloodtype diet. While most notable dietary gurus and scientists do not think it has any merit for the same reasons many of you have stated, some people do seem to achieve better health while on it. I wonder if it isn't the complete elimination of grain and natural increase in protein consumption in those O types who are actually getting most of the results, but for a different reason.....celiac. Much of the great results from the Atkins diet could be for the same reason, undiagnosed celiac, much more than for low carbs. In my opinion it's good to not leave any rocks unturned. I don't personally agree with the diet because I believe it to have a faulty foundation, but I'm glad I studied it just in case. I want to always keep learning.
That's how I feel about everything-I'm looking into to it. Many people on the internet said they tried it and didn't feel any different,my mom eats everything and seems in good health,but because I have several ills and am interested,I'm trying it out.I don't reject any food ,what one blood type can't eat another blood type can-tomatos and chicken won't be going out of business any time soon,and I hope they never do.Even if I ain't suppossed to eat them. But A blooders can and O and A are the largest blood groups anyway.
Candy Contributor
With a lot of diets, there are coincidental benefits that have nothing to do with the marketed product. My sister-in-law is now doing the blood-type diet but a few years ago she was on a diet that selected food based on color. I don't know the details of that but hypotheically most of us on this board would benefit from not eating anything that is "brown". I wouldn't mean that the color was significant it just would coincide with the color of wheat. We also would eliminate things we could eat without problem.
Science hasn't said that a food's color is not meant for you. Where as their blood type diet research claims each food has a bloodtype too,in it's proteins, and the ones that don't agree with you bloodtype don't fully digest in your intestine and can do some minor negative things to you and make you age faster.I'd try it for 1or 2 months to see if I see and feel a difference.
Candy Contributor
I believe that no one diet has the answer for everyone, and that most of these fad diets have significant flaws. To eliminate a food just because someone says you shouldn't eat it because of your blood type, heritage, eye colour, etc. could potentially eliminate an important source of nutrition. When we're talking about intolerances, allergies, known-health issues, it's a different story. One has to listen to their own body about what foods affect their healthy positively or negatively...even when it flies the in face of what medical practitioners tell us.

Michelle

It's not really a diet but a food regimem.You make it sound like a mean bias,but it's really customized medicine.No one should make you eat it,but it's a concept that a person might want to consider.It's not an eyecolor diet. The blood type diet asks your race because the race groups have different needs,Caucasians don't need as many beans as Asians. Many African type B's can't drink milk,since many Africans are lactose intolerant,but Caucasian B's can drink milk and eat yougurt,and therefore should.Most people know that already,because they feel it and they don't buy foods that sicken them when they are at the supermarket. The BloodType Books says Banana's are good for my type-I never eat bananas,but since I've learned they're good for me I buy and eat them more than I used to,sort of robotically since I still ain't fond of them or desire them. I want to see if there is any truth it.(problem is my mother keeps eating them all up ,before they get ripe)
Michi8 Contributor
It's not really a diet but a food regimem.You make it sound like a mean bias,but it's really customized medicine.No one should make you eat it,but it's a concept that a person might want to consider.It's not an eyecolor diet. The blood type diet asks your race because the race groups have different needs,Caucasians don't need as many beans as Asians. Many African type B's can't drink milk,since many Africans are lactose intolerant,but Caucasian B's can drink milk and eat yougurt,and therefore should.Most people know that already,because they feel it and they don't buy foods that sicken them when they are at the supermarket. The BloodType Books says Banana's are good for my type-I never eat bananas,but since I've learned they're good for me I buy and eat them more than I used to,sort of robotically since I still ain't fond of them or desire them. I want to see if there is any truth it.(problem is my mother keeps eating them all up ,before they get ripe)

LOL! Candy, I was being facetious when I listed eye colour. I know that the blood type diet doesn't take eye colour into account..I was just explaining that, to me, basing a diet on blood type sounds about as logical as basing in on any number of random human traits.The lists of acceptable and unacceptable foods in the blood type diet look quite random, and it really makes me wonder how the drs who came up with it were able to actually determine which foods were okay, and which were no-nos.

BTW, if you don't like bananas, then don't eat them! :rolleyes: There could be a good reason you don't like them (allergy or intolerance perhaps)...the best person to determine what foods are good for you is you...not an impersonal list from some diet.

Michelle

PS: I'm a B and caucasian... and am lactose intolerant. So much for being able to drink milk! I'm ceratainly not going to just because Dr d'Adamo says I should!

gf4life Enthusiast
Chocolate does not contain Gluten(or so I thought) and is Safe and Neutral for all bloodtypes O,A,B,and AB, so I always keep some in.It's like the only thing I can eat-Phew! Milk Choc does have Casein though I don't know if I'm allergic to that.My mother has my genes and Bloodtype and she can eat everything and I can't boo hoo.

Candy,

Pure chocolate does not contain gluten, but not all chocolate bars, or candies are gluten free. Many contain gluten ingredients (especially ones with rice crisps in them) and others come in contact with gluten in the processing, so please be careful with whatever chocolates you are eating.

I was also commenting on how someone said there is a diet out there that has you eliminate foods based on color and since most grains are in the "brown group" then that would eliminate chocolate as well. I can give up gluten grains, but not chocolate. I do have additional food allergies/intolerances so my choices for chocolate are much smaller than the average gluten free persons...

Archived