This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chocoholics There Is Hope

Deanne

Deanne Rookie

I was on a hunt for safe chocolate. I contacted Ghirardelli and got this pretty good response:

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for your email regarding Ghirardelli Chocolate. In response

to your inquiry, a majority of our products are manufactured in a gluten

free facility. If there is any chance of cross contamination we would

print a warning on our packaging. Please reference the allergen page on

our website.

In response to your inquiry, a majority of our products do contain

either whole milk powder or a milk fat. Only a few products do not have

a dairy ingredient in them, this would include our Unsweetened Baking

Bar, Unsweetened Cocoa, Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa, hot chocolates

and our Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips. If there is any chance of cross

contamination we would print a warning on our packaging.

Our Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips do not contain any dairy

ingredients. However, they do share the line with other chips which do

contain either a whole milk powder or a milk fat. That is why you see

the diary warning on the package. The lines are cleaned and flushed

between the changing of flavors and the first two batches are disposed

of.

No eggs in our plant.

Open Original Shared Link

Kind regards,

Shawna Ortez

Senior Consumer Affairs Coordinator

Ghirardelli Chocolate Company

1111 - 139th Avenue

San Leandro, CA 94578

When I contacted Hershey's it was a nightmare. Starting out with their website first. I use Firefox and I am on dialup and for some reason I couldn't even get the online contact form to work. I have been on tons of manufacturers websites regarding gluten and this site was the worst to try to find anything or get it to load and I was on the low bandwidth too. They are in a class all to themselves.

When I searched for recipes it would pull up tons and was not able to discern specifics. It was not helpful at all.

So I finally just called them and got the royal run around. I first talked to a Catora who would tell me their cocoa was gluten free but wouldn't provide that info to me in writing. Hmmmm Then I talked with her supervisor Samantha who also couldn't put it in writing. Hmmmm Then I talked to David another one up the food chain at Hersheys who also couldn't put it in writting. Hmmmm.

I think what they are doing their is wrong but also dangerous. You can argue with them until your are blue about this and they dodge and weave about disclosure on gluten. They tell you is safe and gluten free but won't send me a list of gluten free items since they say they are revising it and in another breath they say they don't want to send one out and then they change the ingredients and then people complain that they went by the old list. They won't send an email on just one product that says it is gluten free. They will tell you it is made of 100% cocoa but when pushed about their manufacturing practices and cross contamination that is where they get all wishy washy.

I think they think it is legally safe to say stuff over the phone but they don't want to get caught putting anything in writting right now. Maybe that is why the online contact form didn't work.

But as you can see Ghirardelli is light years ahead of Hershey's when it comes to providing safe disclosure of their ingredients to consumers. Also their website was manageable. I now need to give my Hershey products away and I advise others do as well.

David at Hersheys said Celiacs are not a big enough group to make changes for. The folks at Hersheys are arrogant and want to remain stupid on this issue. So be it. We have other choices GHIRARDELLI and vote with your pocket book. But I do think they should be held accountable for telling newbie or trusting celiacs it is safe when it may not be and they end up getting sick from it.

Trying is not an outcome you either do it or you don't.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sillyyakdidi Apprentice
I was on a hunt for safe chocolate. I contacted Ghirardelli and got this pretty good response:

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for your email regarding Ghirardelli Chocolate. In response

to your inquiry, a majority of our products are manufactured in a gluten

free facility. If there is any chance of cross contamination we would

print a warning on our packaging. Please reference the allergen page on

our website.

In response to your inquiry, a majority of our products do contain

either whole milk powder or a milk fat. Only a few products do not have

a dairy ingredient in them, this would include our Unsweetened Baking

Bar, Unsweetened Cocoa, Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa, hot chocolates

and our Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips. If there is any chance of cross

contamination we would print a warning on our packaging.

Our Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips do not contain any dairy

ingredients. However, they do share the line with other chips which do

contain either a whole milk powder or a milk fat. That is why you see

the diary warning on the package. The lines are cleaned and flushed

between the changing of flavors and the first two batches are disposed

of.

No eggs in our plant.

Open Original Shared Link

Kind regards,

Shawna Ortez

Senior Consumer Affairs Coordinator

Ghirardelli Chocolate Company

1111 - 139th Avenue

San Leandro, CA 94578

When I contacted Hershey's it was a nightmare. Starting out with their website first. I use Firefox and I am on dialup and for some reason I couldn't even get the online contact form to work. I have been on tons of manufacturers websites regarding gluten and this site was the worst to try to find anything or get it to load and I was on the low bandwidth too. They are in a class all to themselves.

When I searched for recipes it would pull up tons and was not able to discern specifics. It was not helpful at all.

So I finally just called them and got the royal run around. I first talked to a Catora who would tell me their cocoa was gluten free but wouldn't provide that info to me in writing. Hmmmm Then I talked with her supervisor Samantha who also couldn't put it in writing. Hmmmm Then I talked to David another one up the food chain at Hersheys who also couldn't put it in writting. Hmmmm.

I think what they are doing their is wrong but also dangerous. You can argue with them until your are blue about this and they dodge and weave about disclosure on gluten. They tell you is safe and gluten free but won't send me a list of gluten free items since they say they are revising it and in another breath they say they don't want to send one out and then they change the ingredients and then people complain that they went by the old list. They won't send an email on just one product that says it is gluten free. They will tell you it is made of 100% cocoa but when pushed about their manufacturing practices and cross contamination that is where they get all wishy washy.

I think they think it is legally safe to say stuff over the phone but they don't want to get caught putting anything in writting right now. Maybe that is why the online contact form didn't work.

But as you can see Ghirardelli is light years ahead of Hershey's when it comes to providing safe disclosure of their ingredients to consumers. Also their website was manageable. I now need to give my Hershey products away and I advise others do as well.

David at Hersheys said Celiacs are not a big enough group to make changes for. The folks at Hersheys are arrogant and want to remain stupid on this issue. So be it. We have other choices GHIRARDELLI and vote with your pocket book. But I do think they should be held accountable for telling newbie or trusting celiacs it is safe when it may not be and they end up getting sick from it.

Trying is not an outcome you either do it or you don't.

just out of curiosity, in your opinion, what could they possibly do to hersheys kisses to put gluten in them? if its 100 percent chocolate? hide little bread crumbs in the center? they just don't want to be liable. its the same way alot of yogurt is technically gluten-free but they dont want to say it and be liable. its a personal choice, and we have to chose wether we are going to live in a bubble or not on some things.

Kassie Apprentice

i eat hersheys all the time and no problem. but thanks for the info

ginghamkim Apprentice

Hi!

Saw your post and wanted to help. I have a letter from Hershey dated February 2004 to my grandmother who has celiac. The Consumer Relations Department, 1800-468-1714, sent this letter.

"Some Hershey products that do not contain sources of gluten

This list is based on informaiton and assurances that we have received from the companies who supply the ingredients we use in our products. The following products are a few we produce that do not contian any gluten. This is not a complete list.

This list is current as of the date reference above. Please note: from time to time product formulations may be adjusted. Thus, we recommend that comsumers continue to carefully read the ingredient statements on our lables for the most recent ingredient information.

Grocery products

Hershey's cocoa

Hershey's unsweetened and semi-sweet baking chocolate

Hershey's semi-swee chocolate chips

Hershey's chocolate syrup

Chocolate confectionery products

Hershey's Kisses chocolates

Hershey's milk chocolate bar

Hershey's milk chocolate bar with almonds

Non-chocolate confectionery products

Jolly Rancher hard candy and lollipops"

This is an old letter granted, but it is something to reference.

I also have a letter from Nestle that was sent February 2006. They list quite a bit of gluten-free products (too many to type tonight). However, for baking purposes, I do want to mention that Nestle Tollhouse Morsels were not listed.

Hope this helps! Sorry you were given the run around.

Kim

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Thanks, Deanne

I've printed this and filed in my notebook

Viola 1 Rookie

Actually, I have never heard of Ghirardelli ... is it stricly a US product? What would be the most common candy bars that they make?

tarnalberry Community Regular

Endangered Species, Dagoba, and Green and Blacks are good as well.

Hershey's has a "list it on the label" policy, I thought?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

I love Cadbury. They have a list of their gluten-free stuff and most of their Easter candy is on there.

I love those little eggs with the candy shells that come out around Easter and I think the bigger eggs with the gooey center are ok. Please check into it before you try it because it has been a while since I looked up their Easter candy, but I have never had a problem with their chocolate and I eat the dairy milk and dark bars a lot.

hathor Contributor
Endangered Species, Dagoba, and Green and Blacks are good as well.

Hershey's has a "list it on the label" policy, I thought?

The first listed brands are also definitely child slavery free, if that is important to you. Hershey's is not, the last I researched this a few months ago. The voluntary accord whereby the chocolate industry said it was going to deal with the problem hasn't worked. It was just a way to get those incensed about the subject to leave them alone IMO.

I know this isn't a political board, so I won't say anymore. Anyone interested can google on "child slavery chocolate." I only mention it because some people are unaware of the issue altogether.

Besides, I prefer dark chocolate, something unadulterated with dairy. My son bought be a Hershey's dark bar, not knowing about the child slavery issue. I ate it and, frankly, it wasn't that good. I've been spoiled by the good stuff.

gf4life Enthusiast

I do not buy any form of Ghirardelli chocolates, which is sad because my kids always want to go to Ghirardelli Square whenever we are near San Francisco (home of Ghirardelli chocolates). They remember getting free samples there before we knew there was gluten in some of their chocolate products...I have found quite a few that list wheat gluten on the allergen label and since then I don't get any of them. I appreciate their writing that on the label, but my kids do better when I just say no to an entire product line, then their is no confusion if I'm not with them and they have to figure it out on their own.

Like with mini candy bars. They don't eat mini's of any brand, since most of them aren't safe and I don't want them eating the wrong ones. Case in point, my son Ben eats tortilla chips at home all the time. I buy them and I know the brands I buy are safe. So he then things ALL tortilla chips are safe and when he was out with the church youth group recently they all stopped at Taco Bell. He figured the chips were safe and ate a whole pack. Of course he got sick from them. But he thought they would be okay since he eats chips at home. I again had to explain why we NEVER go to Taco Bell and that there isn't anything we can eat there that everything either contains gluten or is contaminated with gluten.

So my point is, if I let them eat some Ghirardelli products, then they will think all are safe and I am just not willing to risk it. As my kids get older and are off with other people more they need to be able to eat safe. They understand about the Hershey's policy of "read the label" and are good with Kisses and full sized bars, but with Ghirardelli a lot of their chocolates don't have a full label on them...

Oh and I love Dagoba dark chocloate bars. My current favorite is the Lime and Macadamia Nut! Chocolove Dark Chocolate Cherries with Almonds is awesome too.

quantumsugar Apprentice

Not quite as exciting as Ghiradelli, but Enjoy Life Foods makes chocolate chips that are gluten, dairy, and soy-free. Dedicated gluten-free facility, and free of the other top 8, too (including eggs). They're the only chocolate I can eat nowadays, but they're pretty good.

rbh Apprentice

Hershey's no longer has a "disclose all gluten" policy. They say that they do not know what is in the natural flavors because they come from a flavor house, and that these flavors could include gluten. For example, the natural flavors could include a barley derivative, and not be listed as a separate ingredient. (A lot can be hidden in natural flavors. For example, I just saw a product that included the following language -- "Natural flavors (egg)" -- the company now had to disclose the egg because it is one of the 8 major allergens -- it wouldn't have to disclose barley). There are a few products, including Kisses and Chocolate syrup, which they say they have verified are gluten free, but they definitely no longer say "read the label" for most products. (They did tell me last week that as of now, the artificial flavors they use do not contain gluten.)

Re Nestle's semi-sweet morsels -- It is my understanding that Nestles continues to disclose all gluten, and if there are natural flavors in the product, the words wheat, rye, barley or oats will appear on the ingredient list. I just rechecked my package of Nestle's semi-sweet morsels, and there is no wrbo listed there. Nestle's has a number of divisions, including beverages, baking products, confections, and not all of the gluten-free products appear on every list. They say to check the ingredient label.

Re Ghiradelli -- their web site says that only the classic white chips may contain wheat gluten. Maybe their ingredients have changed over the past several years? In fact, I received this e-mail from them in January 2007: "Thank you for your email regarding Ghirardelli Chocolate. In response to your inquiry, a majority of our products are manufactured in a gluten free facility. If there is any chance of cross contamination we would print a warning on our packaging. Please reference the allergen page on

our website. Open Original Shared Link

Rochelle

gf4life Enthusiast

It has been a few years since I checked on the Ghirardelli products, since they weren't safe for us. It was their chocolate chips that had listed gluten on the label a few years ago. Maybe they changed their processing since then. I guess I will have to check into it again.

Now if only See's would get gluten out of their chocolate and peanut butter suckers then I would be in heaven!

tarnalberry Community Regular

ghiradelli, while having a lovely factory tour if your in san francisco, PUTS MILK IN THEIR DARK CHOCOLATE. hence, they are evil. :P:lol::P

hathor Contributor
ghiradelli, while having a lovely factory tour if your in san francisco, PUTS MILK IN THEIR DARK CHOCOLATE. hence, they are evil. :P:lol::P

Hear, hear! To my mind, that makes it candy, not CHOCOLATE :rolleyes: Oh dear, this discussion is making me hungry.

prinsessa Contributor
Actually, I have never heard of Ghirardelli ... is it stricly a US product? What would be the most common candy bars that they make?

Ghirardelli is a U.S. made product. They are better than hersheys, but I think Lindt is much better.

Viola 1 Rookie
Ghirardelli is a U.S. made product. They are better than hersheys, but I think Lindt is much better.

Thank you, I'm pretty sure we can get Lindt here in Canada, will check on them ... not that I need it ... but I LOVE chocolate :lol:

georgie Enthusiast

Lindt 70% is gluten-free here in Australia. The mint, caramel, milk , are not. The mint was my favourite :(

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Ghirardelli and Lindt both do have factories in the US, but they do not originate in the US. I think one is originally from Switzerland and the other one is from Austria. I'm not sure from which country exactly, but they are not American chocolates. Me for my part, I do not like Hersheys. If you are used to German chocolate, which is really creamy in taste, then Hersheys is bland to you. I love the german "milka" brand chocolate. Then the "Kinder Schokolade" which also makes the Kinder surprise eggs (I saw them in Canada, in a supermarket between the border and the Niagara Falls). And then there is the "Ritter Sport" brand, which you can get at Wegman's supermarket in the northeast of the US. All of them are glutenfree (not the ones with the buiscuit in them of course) and real authentic German chocolates. They are so creamy, they melt on your tongue. Haven't tasted anything like it over here. Hershey isn't that good by far. Even my American friends that I gave some German chocolate to try say that. My m-i-l always wants me to bring her at least 10 bars of German chocolate to stock up in her freezer, when I visit Germany.

Hugs, Stef

hathor Contributor

Ghirardelli and Lindt both do have factories in the US, but they do not originate in the US. I think one is originally from Switzerland and the other one is from Austria. I'm not sure from which country exactly, but they are not American chocolates.

Ghiradelli is a company founded in America by an Italian immigrant. Open Original Shared Link

I just happened to see a program a short while ago about San Francisco, which is how I happened to know.

Lindt is Swiss. Open Original Shared Link

I'm not quite sure which Austrian company you are thinking of. If you go down a bit on this link, you will see a list of chocolate manufacturers and their country. Open Original Shared Link

Yes, I'm hanging out on this board rather than doing something constructive. :lol:

So now I know, why I don't like Ghirardelli that much. But I was right with Lindt being from Switzerland.

Sorry, your burgers are a real dream, but your chocolate isn't good. That's just my opinion. Please, don't take that the wrong way.

Hugs, Stef

Viola 1 Rookie
So now I know, why I don't like Ghirardelli that much. But I was right with Lindt being from Switzerland.

Sorry, your burgers are a real dream, but your chocolate isn't good. That's just my opinion. Please, don't take that the wrong way.

Hugs, Stef

:lol: Stef, too bad we can't eat the burgers anymore. :lol: I can remember yummy mushroom burgers that were to die for :(

Oh, but glutenfree burgers are still pretty good, too. I mean with a glutenfree bread or bun. Hehe, no "bun" intended :P !

Deanne Rookie

Hey Stef thanks for your insights and recommendations on real german chocolate.

We have to stay away from milk, egg and now we are weening out corn along with the gluten.

So do you know if these german chocolates have milk in them?

I live on the other side of the U.S. and not sure where to find these. Are they expensive?

I like to just melt the semi sweet choc chips and put them on vanila soy ice cream or just eat them plain or melt them and mix them with nuts.

I need to go eat dinner since all this chocolate talk is making me a little crazy.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

:lol::lol: I can tolerate dairy, so will eat any of it, dark, light, milk, and even crap chocolate (Hershey's) :ph34r: I must be very plebeian...... :lol: However I have never like the taste of Ghirardelli that much.

Lindt 70% is gluten-free here in Australia. The mint, caramel, milk , are not. The mint was my favourite :(

OMG - - I used to eat heaps of Lindt Lindor - - seems to me I read that it's NOT gluten-free.... :(

:lol: No offense taken. Hershsey's chocolate is really not good quality chocolate, but somehow, it is a flavor of childhood (for me, anyway) and I still like it. ACtually I melt the bars in the microwave and eat them with a spoon.............YUM!!!!!!! and then lick the plate. ;)

BTW I just discovered some Truffles at Trader Joe's, I will get the name (French Truffles? in a little carton) and I love them. I am not sure of all ingredients - they may have dairy.....

OMG - - all this chocolate talk - - and all I have in the house is M&M's. :lol::angry:

Archived