7 replies to this topic

#1 Granny Garbonzo

Granny Garbonzo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:51 PM

Since my grown daughter and others I know with celiac disease get rashes in different places on their bodies, I'm guessing mine has decided to show up on my bottom. I have been checked for everything else I can come up with. Does anyone know if a rash on the bottom can be from skin irritations associated with celiac disease?
nearly 50yrs young and celiac disease nearly 20yrs<br />2 grown daughters, 1CD, other probably in denial, and 2 little grandaughters celiac disease<br />My elderly mother celiac disease in LaGrande Oregon<br /><br />I am healthy and active and love life too much to stray from celiac disease diet. <br />

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 newg

newg

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

I don't ahve an answer to your question but I have a rash on my bottom too!! I've tried everything but it won't go away!

Since my grown daughter and others I know with celiac disease get rashes in different places on their bodies, I'm guessing mine has decided to show up on my bottom. I have been checked for everything else I can come up with. Does anyone know if a rash on the bottom can be from skin irritations associated with celiac disease?

#3 Viola 1

Viola 1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:57 PM

I get a rash on my bottom every time I get contaminated. And it takes about 2 to 3 weeks to go away, depending on how much gluten contamination that I ended up with.

As it tends to show up the day after a contamination, you may not realize that's what is happening. It takes a very tiny amount of gluten to bring out the rash.
Shirley

[Save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

#4 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:15 AM

the behind is one of the places that dermatitis herpetiformis is likely to show up.
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#5 Granny Garbonzo

Granny Garbonzo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:43 PM

the behind is one of the places that dermatitis herpetiformis is likely to show up.

Thank you....it's comforting somehow to know I'm not having some freak rash I should get paranoid about.
I've always been a very easy-going person who doesn't make a big deal out of things, and this has been my approach to avoiding gluten also, but as I age (turning 50 in April) and have been away from gluten longer (since I was about 32) it seems like I have to be increasingly careful to avoid every bit of the stuff or I regret it somehow. My kids and a couple of young friends I know who have celiac disease can seem to get away with a little cheating now and then, but I can't anymore...it gets me gassy and bloated and now this rash, and often I have a full blown response complete with the trots from eating a questionable sauce or something trivial like that.....bummer....but I'm alive. One of my elderly friends died recently from starvation and dehydration when her doctor refused to say she had celiac disease, he called it irritable bowel syndrome and the home she was in would not provide her with a gluten-free diet because it was not prescribed by the doctor. Horrible to watch someone waste away and not be able to do something about it.
The medical profession doesn't like celiac disease because no drugs or surgery are prescribed...it's all about the money.
nearly 50yrs young and celiac disease nearly 20yrs<br />2 grown daughters, 1CD, other probably in denial, and 2 little grandaughters celiac disease<br />My elderly mother celiac disease in LaGrande Oregon<br /><br />I am healthy and active and love life too much to stray from celiac disease diet. <br />

#6 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:41 AM

I too get a reoccurring rash on my bottom. I don't know if it is DH or not. It comes and goes and leaves scars. It started about 2 years ago. When I have pointed it out to doctors they want me to have it biopsied by a dermatologist, but like I said it comes and goes, so it is hard to get it biopsied when it is there. They have wondered if it is DH and so have I. It is really itchy. THis is the only place I get anything like this though.
Monica

#7 mandyann

mandyann

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:59 PM

I also have two patches on my rear,(one on each side) that were red and inflammed and itchy when I was eating gluten. I went off of it for about 6 weeks last spring and the redness got better. I went back on gluten for testing for about 3 months and the rash worsened. My tests came back positive for Celiac's and I've been off gluten for 3 months now. The redness is gone but the skin is kind of dry and scaley and still a little bit itchy. I showed it to my doctor and she agreed that if it is better when I am not eating gluten then it's most likely related. I also don't get rashes anywhere else on my body. From what I have read, DH usually is a rash with blisters. I may end up seeing a dermatologist just to satisfy my curiousity as to what it really is.
Gluten Free Since 10/06

#8 MGoers37

MGoers37

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:07 PM

yes i have it on this place too...i know kinda weird, haha. but i guess this is common for dh.

does anyone get the rash in really strange places? i've gotten it on my ears (liken the edge of the cartiledge], eyebrows, scalp, sometimes the tops of my toes, and my nose. it's all dh but i think it's weird it shows up in these places...
Gluten free diet since January 2007

Blah, I'm bored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: