This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Amy's Kitchen

Rebecca47

Rebecca47 Contributor

Well I thought I would try Amy's kitchen Cheese enchilada's and once again I feel bloated sick and down right yukky!!!

I love the enchilada's, but to feel like this about ever third time I eat them. I have had it. :angry:

I will no longer eat them. :ph34r:

I live in the same county where these products are made, I think I am going over there tomorrow to complain in person. I will be very nice, but let them know how sick I feel after I eat them. :o

I will also ask how come the don't use a dedicated line, that the would probably sell a lot more if they did.

Any suggestions ? :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I live in the same county where these products are made, I think I am going over there tomorrow to complain in person. I will be very nice, but let them know how sick I feel after I eat them.

I will also ask how come the don't use a dedicated line, that the would probably sell a lot more if they did.

I think that is a good idea! It seems like a lot of people have problems with their stuff. I don't ever remember reacting to their frozen dinners, but I'm pretty sure I've reacted to their canned soups and chili. (Although back then everything seemed to make me sick, but my reaction was, well let's say "more urgent than normal" after eating their canned stuff). I won't eat that stuff again.
Corkdarrr Enthusiast

I agree - they clearly are trying to cater to the gluten-free market...but they'd do a WHOLE lot better if they used dedicated lines. I can recall a LOT of posts from people on this board who won't touch their foods anymore due to CC, even though they state Gluten Free on the box.

I think it's awesome that you're going TO the company HQ, too!

Edit: I never got sick from their pizza, but I did get sick when I tried their enchiladas. After that experience AND all the bad word of mouth from other posters on there, I'm not really ever willing to chance it again.

Courtney

Rebecca47 Contributor

I have never tried there pizza.

I will go there tomorrow and talk to some one. I will call and make sure when I go that I can talk to the owner or someone high up on the chain.

Any imput or things i should say or you want me to say is welcome

Viola 1 Rookie

I've tried their product only once, and never will again.

It would be really good for you to go over there and let them know that we think they should use dedicated lines.

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

I thought I read on here at one time or another that the pizza was made in a dedicated facility, but that many of their frozen entrees were not.

The pizza is quite good, so long as you add some more cheese and your own toppings.

I also used to eat the rice mac and cheese without any blatantly noticable problems.

But the enchiladas and mexican bowl did NOt go over well.

Nantzie Collaborator

I have loved their Black Bean and Veggie Enchiladas for about 15 years. I've been gluten-free for about a year. I was SOOOO happy that they were gluten free. But then, around the time everyone else started having problems, I got glutened by them. I was hoping it was just an adjustment period and bought one again about three months later. Zapped again. That time was actually the worst glutening I have ever had. Never again.

If they ever decide to do dedicated lines, then I'd definitely start eating them again. They were SOOO good.

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Anonymousgurl Contributor

Oh wow, I should be more careful I guess when trying out Amy's products...

I've tried the Shepard's pie and the mexican tamale pie. The shepard's pie went okay, but I remember having some burning in my throat after the mexican tamale pie. I also use their salsa, and experience the same thing. I always thought that perhaps it was just because they are mildly spicy, but perhaps that is a reaction to gluten? Hmmm...CC is a sneaky thing...

Rebecca47 Contributor

NOW THIS IS GETTING INTERESTING.

I WILL FOR SURE GO AND TELL THEM ( OR SHOW THEM) ABOUT ALL THE POST TOO :rolleyes:

ABOUT ALL THE UNHAPPY PEOPLE ALL OVER WHO HAVE HAD IT WITH THERE PRODUCTS :angry:

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I've never had problems with their stuff. but then again, I don't have obvious reactions to gluten, so I'm not a good one to comment. I suggest, though, that since so many people here have had bad reactions, you do a search on this board for all the "Glutened by Amy's" threads (I can remember more than one), and bring them to your meeting.

Good luck!

Rebecca47 Contributor
I've never had problems with their stuff. but then again, I don't have obvious reactions to gluten, so I'm not a good one to comment. I suggest, though, that since so many people here have had bad reactions, you do a search on this board for all the "Glutened by Amy's" threads (I can remember more than one), and bring them to your meeting.

Good luck!

THANK YOU !!!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I've stopped eating Amy's altogether and I won't eat any more of their products until they are produced on dedicated lines. I can't risk the cross contamination, especially now since I suspect that I have a severe allergy to wheat. I think they should know that more people would eat their products if they had dedicated lines.

Rebecca47 Contributor

I AM ON IT TOMORROW WITH OUT A DOUBT !!!! :rolleyes:

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Me too! I have really bad problems after eating Amy's stuff. :(

I kind of figured I was reacting to something else since I'm sensitive to alot of things....but with Amy's its real bad. It seems like more and more people are reacting to their products so now I have to wonder... <_<

Was I actually getting glutened?? :o

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've had issues with it too, but very inconsistently. I do hope the rectify the problem. I know they're trying, but ... yeah... other companies have solved the problem, so I wonder what the issue is at this point.

Viola 1 Rookie

Come back on this thread and let us know what happens with your meeting, we'll all be really interested to hear! :huh:

Guest cassidy

I love their stuff but my mom and I got sick too many times from it. I had a bunch in the freezer when I decided I wasn't going to eat it anymore. They were very nice and refunded my money for everything in the freezer and sent the money in cash with a hand-written note which I thought was a bit odd.

The woman I talked to who seemed to be a pretty high up manager did act like I was one of the only people who had a problem with their products. I tried to tell them that many people here had a problem and there were plenty of threads but she didn't seem to believe me and even asked how long I was gluten-free and if I was sure that it was their products like maybe I didn't know how to eat safely on the diet.

They since changed their labeling to "no gluten ingredients" and I have contacted them wondering if their new facility was safer and they said no. Maybe it is because they are small but they didn't seem concerned about making their food safer. It is really frustrating because I'm on the road most days and having a frozen meal that I could get in most normal grocery stores was so helpful. Now I have to pack my lunch in a cooler everyday and that is a pain.

I was wondering if we could do some sort of online petition and show them how many people won't eat their food because we have gotten sick by it. If we got a lot of signatures, maybe their would listen.

lovegrov Collaborator

While it's true that Amy's is obviously looking to sell some things to the gluten-free market, the company makes the vast majority of its money from "regular" folks who can eat gluten. I would guess that at this point it's not worth the expense to them to build a dedicated facility. Just a guess.

richard

Rebecca47 Contributor

Hi everyone

I am getting ready to go to AMY'S KITCHEN as I type. <_<:angry:

Any way as soon as I am back home I will come on line and update everyone.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I only purchase the gluten free mac n cheese and I have never gotten sick from it.

Rebecca47 Contributor

Hi everyone'

I went to Amy's kitchen and they were very peceptive of the problem.

I spoke to CAROL TAMAGNI, IN CONSUMER RELATIONS AND LINDA DOYAL the HACCP MAMAGER.

We went to the conference room and spent 45 minutes talking about things.

They were very concerned and we spoke about there lines and CC and many other things.

What they wanted me to do was to come home and get the box and give them the codes off of it so they can do testing on that lot of enchilads.

They said that there could be CC and that she will look into that but they do wash the lines and have classes there at the company etc.

I told them about starting a thread last night and they were more than welcome to go to the sit and read what we're all are concerned about.

They are also in the process of working with the University of Nebraska to have a research place I believe was called FARRP.

They also spoke of the FDA coming out about what is actually gluten free at the level of the ppm.

Carol said that she is the one who reads the emails daily and the comments on line. She said anything people send she will read. You can go to AMY'SKITCHEN.COM and go to the contact us.

I would even mention this board or even mention that I went down there am and spoke with them.

I told them that people and the united states and canada were upset about there products.

and how they were not going to eat them anymore because they keep getting sick.

So they gave me some coupons for free amy's food so I went and bought a Sheppards pie GLUTEN AND DAIRY FREE and I will have that tonight.

Carol said that a lot of people who have celiacs also have intolerence to milk and that our doctors don't know and they don't tell us we should also go off dairy when first diagnosed, and work it back in to our diet at a later time.

So as of today I am also going dairy free to see if that helps me. Since the only other allergen in the enchiladas was milk ? Who knows maybe I am allergic to dairy.

All and all they said they would be sending me a letter in the mail about what they will be and what they are doing about this.

As soon as I get the letter I will scan it in and post it here for all to see.

I just called Linda and asked her if they used dedicated lines and she said that the Black Beans enchilada's and the Cheese enchilada's are made in another location in the building where nothing else but those to items are processed. She said how do you define a dedicated line, I said nothing but gluten free items on that line. So I can't wait to see the letter and share it with all of you.

So start writting and complaining to the company and together we can get something done.

My son just came in the room and said that they also have and office closer to us so I will go there next. <_<

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Thank you so much for spending the time and effort on this, and for keeping us all informed!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks for posting that information. I really appreciate it. I am glad that they took so much time to help and listen to you. I am anxious to see the letter! I do enjoy some of their frozen dinners and I would love to be able to eat them without worry.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Rebecca,

Thanks for all of the info.

Hope all goes well with your Shepards Pie. :)

Viola 1 Rookie

Thanks for that Rebecca, it's really appreciated!

Archived