Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Maltodextrin?

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what maltodextrin and dextrose are made from? Are they gluten-free?

Ads by Google:

From the celiac.com website:

8) Maltodextrin is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of corn starch or potato starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes. (1) Maltodextrin, when listed on food sold in the USA, must be (per FDA regulation) made from corn or potato. This rule does NOT apply to vitamin or mineral supplements and medications. (2) Donald Kasarda Ph.D., a research chemist specializing on grain proteins, of the United States Department of Agriculture, found that all maltodextrins in the USA are made from corn starch, using enzymes that are NOT derived from wheat, rye, barley, or oats. On that basis he believes that celiacs need not be too concerned about maltodextrins, though he cautions that there is no guarantee that a manufacturer won't change their process to use wheat starch or a gluten-based enzyme in the future.

Here's another link, to the safe list of ingredients......dextrose is one of them, I know it's safe....I think it's sugar

Both are gluten-free

For products manufactured outside the US, maltodextrin could be an issue and should be checked with the manufacturer.

Kim.

i always thought that it depended on what the product was, whether maltodextrin was gluten-free or not

just check and make sure for each product, doesnt hurt to call the manufacturer

Food products with maltodextrin are not a problme. Medications could be. At

least that's my understanding.

richard