#1 mastevano

mastevano

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:02 PM

Hello Everyone!

I am newbie here! This is a wonderful forum w/tons of good info.

Anyway, about 2 years ago, I started feeling a lot of tightness in my lungs/chest area - almost a suffocating feeling. It felt like an elephant was always standing on my chest, or like someone stuffed my lungs with cotton balls. It took my a while to figure out what was wrong w/me. Eventually I found out it was a gluten intolerance.....but I'm still trying to figure it out.

I just came back from a 10 day trip to Argentina where I at bread with every meal....and had no issues! The day I got back I ate a bagel and felt HORRIBLE! That feeling in my chest came back and it didn't go away for a few days.

Does anyone know why I could eat bread in Argentina and not here in the US?? I'm starting to think that maybe it isn't a Gluten Intolerance but some sort of other intolerance (preservatives, or something like that). If anyone has any feedback it would be great!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lorka150

lorka150

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:19 PM

Could it be a different type of grain?
Have you been tested? You might get more luck in the Coping With category! Good luck.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#3 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:50 PM

I was thinking the same thing as Lorka. Wondering if it was a different type of grain; a no- or low-gluten grain maybe? I know a lot of people here have enjoyed Chebe bread, which is a tapioca (manioc) bread common in Brazil. www.chebe.com

Or maybe you're having an issue with more super-processed US baked goods rather than unprocessed homemade baked goods.

My experience when we visited several years ago in Germany (where my husband's mom is from) was that I was sick as a dog. They had fresh, local, homemade bread 4-5 times a day- every day. It was so delicious, but to this day they think I'm 'not quite right'. I was emotional, exhausted and brain-foggy the entire time I was there. It was one of those times for me before I went gluten-free where I was SOOOOOO sick.

I would definitely ask some questions of the people you stayed with. Maybe they use different flours or mixes?

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#4 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:44 AM

I'm just speculating here, but I believe it's possible that wheat has a much lower gluten content in some foreign countries. Add on the fact that the gluten content of a bagel is particularly high, and your reactions might make sense. I don't have research or links to back this weird theory up, but maybe some people who have read "Dangerous Grains" or other similiar works can pop in and either further explain this or tell me I'm totally off. :)
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#5 Morris

Morris

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:00 AM

Given the high level of awareness about Celiac here in Argentina, I can tell with great certainty that the bread does, in fact, contain as much gluten as anywhere else.

#6 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:09 AM

Is it just bagels? Awhile ago a study came out that said that eating a bagel for breakfast could cause IBS symptoms. Something about bagels......
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#7 land_turtle

land_turtle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:24 AM

Interesting, these are the kinds of stories that I search for, because they are my same experience. When I lived in Venezuela I always felt good, coming home to stay during the summer I would gain weight and was so lazy, I thought it was the junk food my grandmother would feed me. I moved back to the states and my weight continued to balloon and my health deteriorated, all the while I blamed myself and my lifestyle, after I got arthritis I had a "gauge" to tell me which foods would make me sick but I thought it was preservatives and soy. On a trip to Cancun, I got better, and had more energy, but the trip was only a week. I thought that maybe they had better vitamins in their fruit. I ate bread the whole time. Then I progressively got worse until a doctor finally diagnosed me with celiac disease. On a trip to Guatemala, a maid accidently put wheat flour in the chicken and rice but I didn't even get sick even though I ate a lot. I came home from there and took 2 bites of some steak at the church until I realized OMG it had gluten in it. I was sick all night and had to go for more antibiotics for my arthritis, it's almost 7 months later and I am just finally getting better. I'm telling you folks, there's something here, but how are we going to prove this. My heart hurts for the Americans that their health is in jeopardy. Does anyone know of a reason the wheat is different here? Is it the Genetically modified wheat that is the problem? But don't they grow that also in Central and South America?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: