This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hysterosalpingography, Not Exactly A celiac disease Issue But Has Anyone Had One?

klaya

klaya Rookie

Hi, I know that this isn't really a celiac disease or gluten-free issue but since you all have been such a great source of support I was wondering if anyone out there has had the hysterosalpingography 'Dye test', if you could share your experience and if it ended up helping you get pregnant. Perhaps this question doesn't belong here but I thought I'd try anyway.

I have been gluten-free for many years and there are certain other things that my body just doesn't like, I have no idea how I will react to the iodine contrast dye. Does any one have any stories to share?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DebS Newbie

Hi,

I had the "dye" test several years ago after having had two ectopic pregnancies (both in the same fallopian tube). The doc wanted to check to see if the other fallopian tube was clear. Anyway, I wasn't given any pain meds during the procedure, was just told to take a couple of extra strength OTC pain meds a couple of hours before I went in.

The test was VERY painful for me (I was told this was caused by the dye being pushed through the tiny fallopian tube)....but thankfully the pain only lasted 30 seconds to a minute. I hope that you will be given some valium or something before they start the procedure. I don't want to scare you, just give you a warning that it can be painful and if your dr. says,"oh, the pain is similar to period cramping", don't believe them! Ask for some pain meds before they start!

The test didn't help me get pregnant, although I have heard that this happens sometimes...if you have a blockage in the tube the dye being pushed through it can clear the blockage out. But no worries, we subsequently have gone on to adopt four beautiful children from Korea so everything turned out as it should be. Good luck with the test and I hope you find the answers that you need.

klaya Rookie

Thank you Deb for sharing your experience. I'll do what I can to manage the pain and hopefully the test will benefit me in some way.

Thanks again,

Klay

Guest AutumnE

I havent had one but my sister did. Her's unfortunately was painful too. Im not sure if deb had blockage but my sister was told that it does hurt more if you do. They try to "blow out the cobwebs". She had it very blocked and had to have surgery to clear them out. She also had pcos so it took ivf to have her children since she wasnt ovulating at all on her own.

I do know two other people from infertility message boards who had an hsg and were able to get pg. One was with clomid and one was just the hsg. I had infertility with my daughter also and after 2 years of trying with fertility drugs we were blessed. I hope you get blessed soon too either with treatments or through the miracle of adoption.

jukie Rookie

I also had an HSG several years ago after having multiple miscarriages. The only medication I took was either Tylenol or Advil (can't remember which) before the procedure, but I've heard from others who were offered valium as well. Though I experienced discomfort, cramping, and lots of "pressure" (more than a period, but tolerable), I was lucky in that it wasn't terribly painful for me. The test itself didn't take long and my doctor was able to give me the results immediately.

I did have a lot of bleeding (like a long period) following the test so didn't try to conceive for the next cycle or two, but on our very first try after the HSG I did get pregnant and the rest is history...my DS is now 5 years old :wub:

Do you have an HSG scheduled? If so, good luck...let us know how it goes!

klaya Rookie

Yes, I'm scheduled for the HSG tomorrow morning.

Thanks you so much for sharing your story

klaya Rookie
I havent had one but my sister did. Her's unfortunately was painful too. Im not sure if deb had blockage but my sister was told that it does hurt more if you do. They try to "blow out the cobwebs". She had it very blocked and had to have surgery to clear them out. She also had pcos so it took ivf to have her children since she wasnt ovulating at all on her own.

I do know two other people from infertility message boards who had an hsg and were able to get pg. One was with clomid and one was just the hsg. I had infertility with my daughter also and after 2 years of trying with fertility drugs we were blessed. I hope you get blessed soon too either with treatments or through the miracle of adoption.

I have heard that is has 'blow out' quality too. Thank you for telling your story. I hope that we will be blessed with a child soon but really we're already blessed and child would just make it all that much better.

Take care,

Klay

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest AutumnE

With you doing this late in your cycle, did you try this month? Be careful if you did, I would have a quantitive beta run if there is a chance before the test. My sister's was done on cd2 I believe. Thats great you have infertility coverage. We had none, all out of pocket. She is our million dollar investment!

jukie Rookie
Yes, I'm scheduled for the HSG tomorrow morning.

Thanks you so much for sharing your story

klaya Rookie
I'll be sending good thoughts your way for tomorrow...and waiting to hear how it went!

I had the HSG this morning and was quite nervous. The x-ray staff and my Doc were all really great.

The numbing shots he gave me made me feel so light-headed they had to invert me on the table and the dye caused some really painful cramping but it was tolerable and thankfully, over very quickly. The test results were 'normal'.

The dye spilled out through both the tubes, my husband says that one flowed through much fast than the other, the Doc seemed to think that everything was normal. He said that 15% of women get pregnant in 2-3 cycles after the test so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Thanks again for caring and sharing your experiences.

Klay

DebS Newbie

Thanks for updating us Klay....glad it wasn't too terribly uncomfortable for you. Hopefully it will help you conceive and then you can be updating us about your pregnancy!

jukie Rookie

Thanks for the update...I'm so glad to hear that it went well today and you got some good news! The hard part is over...now the fun part can begin ;)

Guest AutumnE

I'm glad you werent in much pain :)

And thats wonderful your tubes are clear! Hopefully everything will go smoothly for you from here.

klaya Rookie
I'm glad you werent in much pain :)

And thats wonderful your tubes are clear! Hopefully everything will go smoothly for you from here.

Thank you, thank you, thank all three of you for being a source of support. I will make sure to post an update when there's something to update. I really believe that having people out there thinking good thoughts for perfect strangers is a powerful force and I really feel that you have made a difference for me in this sometimes very difficult journey. So thank you!

Klay

• 1 month later...
klaya Rookie

Hi, I just wanted give you all an update. I had the Dye Test last month and then about a week ago my doc put me on Amoxicillin because I was having a lot of back pain and cramping (he thought I might have an infection form the test). Now I am 8 days late. I took an EPT 2 days before my period was due and it was negative. I am a little hesitant to take another test until I am few more days late. Has anyone had any experience with antibiotics and gluten? I asked the pharmacist if the drug was gluten free but she didn't know. Anyway, I'm feeling very bloated but I don't have my usual PMS symptoms so I'm not sure if I'm pregnant or have some sort of reaction to the antibiotics that has delayed my period. I also cut way back on dairy this month??? Who knows maybe that had some kind of effect.

Any one out there have any insight?

TheresaM Newbie

Have you spoken to your doc about having a beta run? If you are 8 days late a hpt (home pregnancy test) should pick it up by now. What brand are you using? Some pick up smaller amounts of HCG than others. Give your OB a call and see what they have to say, it could be the HSG knocked your cycle off a bit, but that's pretty unusual. Talk to your doc about and see what they say, they may want to give you provera to start cycle if you aren't pg and it goes too long before you get your period. *(Though i don't know if Provera is gluten-free) Good luck!

Guest AutumnE

Amoxicillin is gluten free. Have they done an u/s for you this month? I would have a quantitive beta run and if your not pregnant. See if they will run an u/s. Its not uncommon for someone with normal cycles to skip an ovulation once in a while and make a cyst that month. Do you chart? Are you aware of when you ovulated? Could you have ovulated later this month? If your not pregnant your body played a cruel joke on you by being late this month :(

klaya Rookie
Amoxicillin is gluten free. Have they done an u/s for you this month? I would have a quantitive beta run and if your not pregnant. See if they will run an u/s. Its not uncommon for someone with normal cycles to skip an ovulation once in a while and make a cyst that month. Do you chart? Are you aware of when you ovulated? Could you have ovulated later this month? If your not pregnant your body played a cruel joke on you by being late this month :(

Cruel joke is a good description for it. I got my period 10 days late. I do chart and this month seemed right on time but I also occasionally, about every 4 months, have a longer cycle. So I guess we'll just assume everything is still normal and see what happens this month. This has definitely been an on going lesson in patience. If I ever do have a baby I think I'll have learned how to be patient :)

Thanks for the advice, as usual you are all so helpful and caring.

Archived