This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Thumbs Up For Disney World!

pajamama2

pajamama2 Apprentice

We went down to Disney last week and were just thrilled with how accomadating they were!! Our favorite resturant was in Magic Kingdom, Liberty Tree Tavern. My celiac husband was very spoiled there. We even took a picture of him with all of his gluten free food. The head chef came out and spoke to him and brought him all of his gluten-free food. His rolls were awesome. I asked the chef for her recipe and she told me they were premade and gave me the empty bag so I could find them somewhere. (They were EnerG.) He also had roast, turkey, and ham with gravy, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, green beans and for dessert a delicious brownie with ice cream. Dh was treated like a king there!

At MGM, Pizza Planet made him a gluten-free pizza that was very good. And for supper we ate at Hollywood and Vine. The chef came out and took my dh down the buffet and told him what he could have. The chef also made fish for dh. He also got dessert there but I forgot what it was.

We were so impressed with Disney! We'd definately go back.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I love reading such positive things about WDW. I'm taking my kiddos in December! I've heard great things about Liberty Tavern!! =)

sleepingbean Newbie

I'm glad to hear you had such a great time ! We just went also, and I took pictures too ! I loved that meal at Liberty Tree!!!

:)

here is that post -

Open Original Shared Link

Tigger7022 Newbie

I am going to Disney in two weeks! I have already made my dinner reservations, so I am pretty excited. I do have one question though. Does any one have good suggests for places to eat that are Counter Service in Epcot?

Thanks!

dlp252 Apprentice
I am going to Disney in two weeks! I have already made my dinner reservations, so I am pretty excited. I do have one question though. Does any one have good suggests for places to eat that are Counter Service in Epcot?

Thanks!

Hum, I think at Epcot I had the turkey legs and some fruit from the stands...don't think I tried anything else while in Epcot.

mamaw Community Regular

We are going to disney at the end of April. Staying at the Ft Wilderness campground for a week. I wanted to say "thanks" to all who posted. Every piece of info is so helpful. Did anyone use the Dining Points ? I have heard that it saves money plus it is NOT extra for gluten-free meals . Then I have heard on another site that the gluten-free ones were charged extra points for the gluten-free meal. I ask when I booked & the operator said that it DoesNOt cost any more. So I'm hoping someone who was just there can clarify the mystery....

I know for sure we are going to eat at the Liberty Tree. Also we all loved Rainforset Cafe before going gluten-free so I'm hoping we can eat there being gluten-free.... They have the best coconut bread pudding but of course that's off my food chain now..

Oh, is there a buffet that any can recommend???I know buffets are scary but I guess we are crazy enough to try it once.....

We will be traveling from Disney down the east coast, crossing over to the gulf side via I75, heading to Port Charlotte, then onto Palmetto... I can't wait to try Pizza Fusion...

I do have one favor to ask!!!! Please pray that we don't get a major snowstorm in Pa. at the third week of April.....Trying to drive a truck & a 36ft.fifthwheel in a snowstorm doesn't thrill me.....thanks

mamaw

dlp252 Apprentice
We are going to disney at the end of April. Staying at the Ft Wilderness campground for a week. I wanted to say "thanks" to all who posted. Every piece of info is so helpful. Did anyone use the Dining Points ? I have heard that it saves money plus it is NOT extra for gluten-free meals . Then I have heard on another site that the gluten-free ones were charged extra points for the gluten-free meal. I ask when I booked & the operator said that it DoesNOt cost any more. So I'm hoping someone who was just there can clarify the mystery....

I know for sure we are going to eat at the Liberty Tree. Also we all loved Rainforset Cafe before going gluten-free so I'm hoping we can eat there being gluten-free.... They have the best coconut bread pudding but of course that's off my food chain now..

Oh, is there a buffet that any can recommend???I know buffets are scary but I guess we are crazy enough to try it once.....

We will be traveling from Disney down the east coast, crossing over to the gulf side via I75, heading to Port Charlotte, then onto Palmetto... I can't wait to try Pizza Fusion...

I do have one favor to ask!!!! Please pray that we don't get a major snowstorm in Pa. at the third week of April.....Trying to drive a truck & a 36ft.fifthwheel in a snowstorm doesn't thrill me.....thanks

mamaw

I was just there in December. I hope the "points" thing you are talking about is the same thing that I did. It was part of the package we purchased from Disney. You get a card, sort of like an atm card or a gift card. It is loaded with how ever many meals/snacks you purchased.

We never did eat at a restaruant while there, but was able to use our sit down service at the counters...we just had to tell them that's what we wanted to use. I was never charged any extra for the gluten free meals...I was charged for 1 counter service, or 1 snack, or 1 sit down service, just the same as my friend was who is not gluten-free.

I didn't eat at a buffet, but our hotel (the Port Orleans) had a food court with only fast service places. I ate there every day. They had a chef who came to talk to me each time I wanted to order. I didn't have anything exotic, but I'll tell you those gluten-free pancakes were the best tasting pancakes I've had, lol. They had real maple syrup too. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Thanks Donna!

Yes. the points thing is or must be the same thing. We were told or was told this was called"points" by our operator. I wasn't sure she new what to call it as she kept putting us on hold to go ask a supervisor how to to something.... Her confidence level was low & in turn I became abit scared if we actually got what we wanted...I think it is $35.99 for an adult (lunch(counter service), supper (includes appettizer,meal & desert) & 1 snack (drink or popcorn, ice cream something like that)

We got so scared we called back just to make sure we got what we wanted. Boy are we glad we did. She had a address wrong , length of stay wrong & to boot gave us a wrong confirmation number! By then I forgot to ask about the pre-paid dining. This person I spoke to was excellent & I'm sure he will speak to this other operator....

Thanks so much

mamaw

dlp252 Apprentice
Thanks Donna!

Yes. the points thing is or must be the same thing. We were told or was told this was called"points" by our operator. I wasn't sure she new what to call it as she kept putting us on hold to go ask a supervisor how to to something.... Her confidence level was low & in turn I became abit scared if we actually got what we wanted...I think it is $35.99 for an adult (lunch(counter service), supper (includes appettizer,meal & desert) & 1 snack (drink or popcorn, ice cream something like that)

We got so scared we called back just to make sure we got what we wanted. Boy are we glad we did. She had a address wrong , length of stay wrong & to boot gave us a wrong confirmation number! By then I forgot to ask about the pre-paid dining. This person I spoke to was excellent & I'm sure he will speak to this other operator....

Thanks so much

mamaw

You're welcome. Wow, I'd be nervous too, lol. Yes, the card is preloaded with all the meals. We stayed 4 days, so had 4 days worth of meals & snacks. You can use them all in one day if you need to, lol. I think my friend and I decided it was a good deal and would probably purchased the meal plan again, and it certainly was convenient to NOT deal with money, lol.

Fruit also counts as a snack. And, if at the end of your stay, you still have a sit down service left, you can use that for a counter service, but I don't think you can go the opposite way...you couldn't use a counter service at a sit down restaurant.

One note...it did take a lot longer to prepare my meals (at the food court--counter service). They cooked everything in the back to make sure that there was no chance of cross contamination...it generally took about 10 minutes more for my counter service meal, so if you're eating with your family, you might want to order your meal first. Restaurant service shouldn't be a problem.

runnerjen Apprentice

I just went to WDW in January. The best place I went to was The Brown Derby at MGM. I told the waitress I had a food allergy and she notified the chef. He cam over and discussed the menu options with me. Basiclly, I was able to creat my own dish, which was WONDERFUL!! I had chicken breast, creamy polenta and grilled asparagus. Also, he brought out hot tapioca rolls, which were amazing as well. I did have some difficulty at Port Orleans, where I stayed. One manager gave me such an attitude! But throughout my stay I had gluten-free-waffles, pizza and pasta. You shouldn't have an issue. If you make any reservations, just mention it ahead of time so they are prepared for you.

Have fun!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
nothungry Contributor

Disney has always been excellent for me. At Epcot, Gluten free pizza is available at the counter service restaurant in USA (Amy's). The counter service place in France has an excellent cheese and fruit platter. Akershus and Garden Grill were great for table service. The rissotto at Garden Grill is out of this world. At Animal Kingdom, the breakfast buffet at Restaurantasaurus was amazing. The chef makes awesome gluten free pancakes and homefries....YUM. Liberty Tree Tavern,Tony's Town Square and the Plaza Diner are great at the Magic Kingdom...the chefs come and talk to you and they are very accomodating with dinners,rolls and desserts. My favorite place to eat it probably the Sci Fi Dine In at MGM...great gluten-free pasta dish, appetizers and hot fudge sundaes. If you call Disney Dining Reservations, they will give you a number for somebody to talk to at each park. That person can send you information on allergy free dining, plus, they will send you a list of counter service availability of gluten free options. Advanced reservations will get you the best meals!

Can you tell that I love Disney World?

Enjoy your trip!

Guhlia Rising Star

Be very wary of counter service at the places that look "fast-foodie". We had a VERY bad experience at one of the burger joints in Magic Kingdom. I can't remember the name of the place, but I got glutened. They gave us the wrong food TWICE and told us it was gluten free. Thank God they had other things in the order messed up or I would've eaten the gluten-filled bun without thinking twice. On the contrary, the pizza places were really good about gluten free meals. They didn't even cook them in the same ovens as the gluten pizza. At Toy Story they actually took it across the street to another location to cook it to avoid contamination. I believe all the pizza places are like this throughout Disney World.

For all of you folks planning on going to Liberty Tree in MK, make sure you make your reservations EARLY. We tried to make reservations for dinner at 10am and they were already booked. This was during major slow season and it was a Tuesday. I don't know if you can call days ahead of time, but if you can, please do. I really wanted to take my daughter there, but no dice.

The Prime Time 50's cafe in MGM is a really fun place to eat. The chef, Nelson, comes out to talk to you. He's very friendly and super educated on allergies. They have a seperate area of the kitchen where they prepare these "special" orders and it's thoroughly cleaned between orders. I love it there! We went to MGM just to eat there the one day. Oh, and if you can stomach fried foods, ORDER THE FRIED CHICKEN!!! It's fabulous. You'll take one bite and have to ask your waiter whether or not it's gluten free. That's how good it is!

Also, you can bring snacks into the park if you have food allergies. Just tell the security people before they search your bag that you have "allergies" and that you have some snacks packed. Then they won't give you a hard time. Actually, I had the one security guy just wave me through without even checking my bag after I told him that. That was kind of nice.

One last thing... If you get to see Mickey, give him a big hug for me. In all of my years going to Disney I have never gotten to see Mickey Mouse except for in the parades!

FreeTime Apprentice

Thanks!

The American fast food place at Epcot in World Showcase is great. It is in the American Adventure building, but I can't recall the name. They had hot dogs with buns and Pamelas cc cookies for dessert.

The Electric Umbrella in Future World also has a menu. At any of the fast food places they have a special diet folder in each line behind the register. Feel free to walk up and grab it and get back in line. This way you have plenty of time to decide. Even at the counter service places they are most helpful.

johnsoniu Apprentice
One last thing... If you get to see Mickey, give him a big hug for me. In all of my years going to Disney I have never gotten to see Mickey Mouse except for in the parades!

I'll give Mickey a big hug for you. I've been to Disney ten times and have seen Mickey every time( sorry, don't mean to rub it in) ;)

We're going the first of April and will be my first venture out and about since being dx'd with celiac disease five days ago, and I was kind of stressing about how things would work out. From the replies here, looks like another great Disney vacation is still on the way. Thanks to you all for the great info.

John

Guhlia Rising Star
I'll give Mickey a big hug for you. I've been to Disney ten times and have seen Mickey every time( sorry, don't mean to rub it in) ;)

We're going the first of April and will be my first venture out and about since being dx'd with celiac disease five days ago, and I was kind of stressing about how things would work out. From the replies here, looks like another great Disney vacation is still on the way. Thanks to you all for the great info.

John

John, you will have a wonderful vacation. Disney World is amazing for Celiacs. If you're not planning on hitting the parks every day while you're there and you're not staying at a Disney resort I HIGHLY recommend going to Downtown Disney for dinner. They have free parking and no admission fee. Portabello Yacht Club was our absolute favorite place to eat there. They had Tinkyada pasta for us every single time we went. They even made us special dishes that weren't on the menu (like buttered noodles for my toddler and spaghetti for me). Their food is amazing and the service is wonderful! We frequented there for lunch on days that we didn't go to one of the Disney parks. Also, Rainforest Cafe (very limited choices), Planet Hollywood (very limited choices), and a few other restaurants can do gluten free items. All in all, Downtown Disney is great for Celiacs.

moving on Apprentice

Mamaw, if you are staying at Ft Wilderness, you might want to try the Hoop Dee Do review. The show was good but the gluten-free food was wonderful. The chef said they are trying to adjust as many recipes as possible to be naturally gluten-free. I ordered several weeks in advance and had much more food than I could eat. The best part - it was very good: salad, ribs, grilled chicken, baked potato, grilled vegetables, tapioca rolls and a large bowl of berries and melon.

mamaw Community Regular

Moving on

Thanks for the info. I heard some enjoyed the food at HoopDee Do & some didn't. But we have made reservations so its nice to know the food was good for you. We did buy the dining plan plus we have all dinners booked & notified. We were there eight years ago before my gluten-free days.... We actually won a $7000.00 trip for a full week.Now I guess I'm paying Disney back... I love that place.....

thanks

mamaw

Archived