This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Have To Vent!

ptkds

GFBetsy Rookie

Off topic a little, there's a really good cinnamon roll recipe on www.eatingglutenfree.com. They are a lenghty process, but really really yummy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pinktulip Apprentice
I honestly have to say that I don't know if the teacher was being insesnsitive or just doesn't get it. A lot of people REALLY just don't get it.

I LOVE the idea of a watermelon party. We liked the walk, play a game thing.

And honestly, the students have no incentive to do well on these tests because A. they're too young to be tested the way they're being tested now B. the scores mean nothing to them- they have more of a bearing on the school than anything else. It's not like a math test where you WANT to get a good grade for the sake of doing well.

Sorry, I'm biased about all this testing :( It already makes kids feel inferior and then to have the teacher hand out snacks that will single your daughter out even more is not OK.

We loved the watermelon party too. But our testing was later in the year (between Mid-March through Mid-April). But we'd have sees spitting contest, like tic tac toe and such. It was great becuase it was healthy and we were outside!

ptkds Community Regular

Thank you all for your replies! It feels good to have so much support!

I decided to "challenge" my dd w/ gluten since her tests were negative anyway. We were gonna wait until Feburary, but I decided to do it now so that maybe she can eat w/ her classmates. But I am still upset that her teacher would exclude her like that. I just don't think she realized she was doing it, though. But I have a feeling that I will have to deal w/ this alot w/ my other dd's. For some reason, this school doesn't really follow the "healthy" food thing. But the kids do get alot of recess and PE time, so they are pretty active.

Well, I have to go. My baby just woke up! Again, thanks for all your support. I really needed it!

ptkds

tarnalberry Community Regular

I definitely like the 'walk' idea, as that is great for getting the energy up and going! Also helpful after sitting down at a test for hours.

Juliebove Rising Star
So my 9 yr old dd has been on the diet since the beginning of December. I have talked to her teacher and given her all the lists and instructions about how my dd can't even come in contact w/ gluten and all of this. So I got this letter today that was sent out to all the parents from her teacher. They are preparing for the TAKS test, and the teacher wants to encourage the kids everyday with little "treats." She is planning on serving the kids things like cinnamon rolls, goldfish, animal crackers, chips, and cheerios. My dd is already so sensitive about this diet, and she really hates not being able to eat the same foods as the other kids. There is no way I can send foods similar to all of these things! I havne't even attempted to make real cinnamon rolls yet. I am just so upset that her teacher is gonna "torture" my dd w/ all these foods that she can't even have! And then my dd always feels embarrased if she isn't doing the same as the other kids.

I just had to vent. I am just so upset right now that I am in tears! I feel so bad for my dd.

ptkds

I can sympathize. My daughter is allergic to 7 different foods and another girl in her class is allergic to most of the same foods plus a few more. Each month the teacher gives them a pizza party. Well, when you're allergic to gluten and cheese among other things that kind of lets out real pizza! Parents are expected to send in $2 for the pizza. I did this the first time thinking that perhaps she could drink the drink I presumed they would provide. Turns out it was Gatordade which is something she normally isn't allowed to have because I consider it junk, so she declined it. But then when I told her this was a special occasion and she could have it because she was not allergic, she was looking forward to drinking it at the next party. There they had no drinks whatever. Luckily I had sent in a bottle of water wither her special pizza but the teacher still kept my $2!

I get annoyed because I don't really want to have to make a little pizza for her once a month. I usually use the Namaste brand pizza dough. It's easy enough to make but it makes more than she can eat at one time. And we're not home on the weekends most of the time so the extras get thrown in the trash. I've never tried to freeze this stuff but I doubt it would work. I have to also mix up some special "Chreese" powder as a topping and go buy some ham, pepperoni or other meat so she has some protein because the "Chreese" doesn't contain very much.

Then there is the upcoming visit to Chinatown where they will eat a Chinese food. Another problem because Angela loves Chinese food but it isn't safe for her to eat it unless I prepare it at home and it's only a reasonable fascimile since I can't use the tradtional peanut oil or any kind of soy sauce due to her allergies. The teacher said this was no big deal since some kids will not eat Chinese food and will bring their same old peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Aargh! She just didn't get it. My daughter would LOVE to be able to eat real Chinese food with chopsticks. When she was a toddler her best friend's mom was from Thailand, so she grew up eating with chopsticks and liking this kind of food. She would also love to be able to eat a peanut butter sandwich.

So I can relate. I buy my daughter cinnamon rolls from Ener-G on occasion. My only beef with them is once you open the package they need to be eaten within a few days or they get hard. And they are best if sprinkled with a few drops of water and put in the microwave for a few seconds. I also make a bit of icing to drizzle on using powdered sugar and a few drops of water. They're actually very good, but expensive. I sometimes have to order them online, although I live near where they are made. You'd think more places here would carry them.

I can get some "O" shaped cereal at the local health food store that is gluten free.

Animal crackers and goldfish would present a problem. I don't really know of any substitutes for those. I have bought some Glutino brand "biscuits" called Wizards that are small cute shapes. Not sure if they are good or not since my daughter doesn't seem to find them appealing for some reason and has refused to so much as try them.

What I would do if I were you would be to send in some sort of treat for your daughter that she can eat on those days, even if it doesn't match what the others are eating. Of course this is bound to cause problems with some of the other kids because they might want what she has rather than what the teacher is offering.

Then if possible you could provide similar food at home. Like the cinnamon roll for breakfast on that morning if you can. I've made some cinnamon rolls for my daughter using a gluten free biscuit mix. I make them the same way I used to make quick ones using a biscuit dough. Rolled out, spread with butter (or in my case coconut oil), cinnamon and sugar then rolled into a long roll, cut in slices and placed cut side down in a greased round cake pan. I drizzle with icing after baking. They're okay but gluten free biscuit mix leaves a lot to be desired IMO. Cinnamon toast is another option made with gluten free bread. Or Cinnamon crackers, again from Ener-G. They seem to keep pretty well once opened provided you put them in a sealed bag.

I don't understand why food is used to much as a reward in school. Perhaps because it is cheap? Stickers are good rewards for younger kids but once they reach about 3rd grade they're not so much into them any more. Cool pencils are another option but they can be more expensive. My daughter's class has a treat box. I offered to buy the treats for the box. There is some candy that I know is safe for her and the other girl with allergies, but mostly it's small toys. But then of course some other parent donated a ton of packs of Oreo cookies to put in there. Great! It's always something.

debmidge Rising Star
I'll say. When I was in elementary, when we finished tests we got to either read a book quietly or twiddle our thumbs. Oh the horror of the '70's!

I'm sure not getting candy after a test was a violation of my Charter rights! (If we had a Charter then. In hindsight, perhaps I should have studied more. :ph34r: )

...I went to private religious school when I was a kid, and they tested us like this back then (1960's) and we were lucky that they allowed us to eat lunch, lest we have to give it up as penance for not making "A" on the test. Extra food in classroom was unheard of...a reward was a gold star sticker perhaps.

Today's teachers have to be aware of so much regarding food intolerances and religious dietary restrictions....that being said the school district should have a written policy of what snacks are allowable in the classroom. Have you checked with the District's Board of Education to see if they have a policy on this at least? Then decide what you want to say to your child's educator and see what compromise you can get worked out.

zachsmom Enthusiast

I can understand what your feeling... I have a child taking FCAT practice... While he is not Celaic... ( his baby brother is... ) I would kindly tell the teacher how nice of her to do this.... That it is so sad for your daughter .. she is so sad and alienated ... by this... that it hurts her... But I would re examine the regular foods... I am not advocating candy or junk foods... by any means .. But there are regular stuff that she can have that is gluten free. BUt that is normal for the teachers to give out snacks during the testing... sadly so much rides on this "testing " money for the schools. that they will dance naked and worship the sun god if they thought it would help the school get a good score. But that is why the snacks are being passed out.... Its all about money... from the high test scores. higher the scores the more cash.

But I would find snacks that she can have... I think some regular candies have no gluten in them ... l dont want to say and then some one yell at me ... so check again... and see .. ranch doritos I know are safe... tostois are okay... just check .... you can end up bringing better treats for her and making the other kids wish they had her snacks.... good luck chris

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FeedIndy Contributor

Mi-Del makes a good gluten-free animal cookie. I can't seem to keep DH out of them, and he's the only one who doesn't need the gluten free diet!

LyndaCanada Rookie

Wow! What totally insensitive teacher, she must just not be thinking. There are soooo many gluten-free snacks she could provide instead. What about fresh fruit and veggies instead of JUNK food.

I think you should type up a letter to all of the parents of your child's class and do a sign up sheet for the parents to each bring some fruit and vegetables in instead?

Lynda

gf4life Enthusiast
I can sympathize. My daughter is allergic to 7 different foods and another girl in her class is allergic to most of the same foods plus a few more. Each month the teacher gives them a pizza party. Well, when you're allergic to gluten and cheese among other things that kind of lets out real pizza! Parents are expected to send in $2 for the pizza. I did this the first time thinking that perhaps she could drink the drink I presumed they would provide. Turns out it was Gatordade which is something she normally isn't allowed to have because I consider it junk, so she declined it. But then when I told her this was a special occasion and she could have it because she was not allergic, she was looking forward to drinking it at the next party. There they had no drinks whatever. Luckily I had sent in a bottle of water wither her special pizza but the teacher still kept my $2!

I get annoyed because I don't really want to have to make a little pizza for her once a month. I usually use the Namaste brand pizza dough. It's easy enough to make but it makes more than she can eat at one time. And we're not home on the weekends most of the time so the extras get thrown in the trash. I've never tried to freeze this stuff but I doubt it would work. I have to also mix up some special "Chreese" powder as a topping and go buy some ham, pepperoni or other meat so she has some protein because the "Chreese" doesn't contain very much.

Then there is the upcoming visit to Chinatown where they will eat a Chinese food. Another problem because Angela loves Chinese food but it isn't safe for her to eat it unless I prepare it at home and it's only a reasonable fascimile since I can't use the tradtional peanut oil or any kind of soy sauce due to her allergies. The teacher said this was no big deal since some kids will not eat Chinese food and will bring their same old peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Aargh! She just didn't get it. My daughter would LOVE to be able to eat real Chinese food with chopsticks. When she was a toddler her best friend's mom was from Thailand, so she grew up eating with chopsticks and liking this kind of food. She would also love to be able to eat a peanut butter sandwich.

I've dealt with all of these situations myself over the years with my kids and I have a few suggestions if you are open to them.

Whenever they are charging money for a pizza party I usually opt out of paying. I am providing food for my child and they do not have to buy her food, so they usually don't require it. I have never had any teacher get mad at me for this or deny my child participation in the event. If it is a fundraiser then I usually do pay, since it is more for helping the cause than for the food. I would check with the teacher and find out why you have to pay if you are providing both her food and drink!

As for the pizza crust, I don't know what all of the allergies are that your daughter has, but have you tried Kinnikinnick pizza crusts? I love them. They are gluten, dairy, soy and nut free (I believe) and they list all of this on their website. It is about $7 for 4 individual pizza crusts. It is easy to pop one crust out of the freezer when you need one and microwave it for 1 minute, put the toppings on and bake for about 10 minutes for a perfect pizza. You can also put the toppings on the frozen crust and put it back in the freezer to save time. I've never done it that way as I find it just as easy to put the toppings on before baking and I like the texture better after the microwaved thawing. Anyhow, if it fits into your daughter's allergy diet you might want to check into it.

Also with the chinease food. Could you possibly make her some homemade "chinese" food the night before and heat up the leftovers for her lunch. If you send it in a thermos it should still be warm at lunch time. Then she could still have her safe chinese food and eat it with chopsticks at a real chinese restaurant! She might not feel so left out. Yes other kids might be eating sandwiches, but that is their choice. It isn't like she really gets much of a choice in the matter. I've done similar things for my kids when they are going on field trips, church trips or to summer camp, etc.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I would give money if towards a fundraiser but if it was just to cover food expenses, I would not bother. I cannot believe they would deny her participation, that's horrible and what does it teach the kids. Kids pick up on things.

I like the chinese food idea. Sounds good!

Nic Collaborator

As a teacher, when I first started reading this, I thought maybe the teacher is trying to make sure everyone eats on the morning of the test (you would be surprised how many parents are not feeding their children in the morning). For example, when I taught 5th grade I always brought in cereal bars on testing days and handed them out during homeroom. But if this was the case, why the chips?

I agree with the above posters, Mi Del does make excellent animal crackers, my son loves them. And we have also had the cinnamon buns from Kinnickinick (sp?). They are so good you would never know they are gluten-free, and they are small too, like mini buns. There are also plenty of gluten-free chips (although I don't know why she is offering those). It is the gold fish crackers and the cheerios that will be a problem. I know my son would be crushed if he saw everyone eating Cheerios. He as been gluten-free for almost 2 years but he still says he misses Cheerios. Talk to the teacher and explain how hard this will be for your child. Maybe she can take these choices away and add in cereal bars (there are some gluten-free ones out there, Envirokids makes one that is like rice crispy treats) or maybe even popcorn or fruit. If she is unresponsive go to the principal. It will be hard for her to stay focused if she is feeling badly about being different and left out.

Nicole

Archived