This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Allergy Shots?

Yenni

Yenni Enthusiast

I am allergic to a lot of fruits, tree nuts, almonds and carrots. I had a skin test done when I was a little girl that showed this and I remember my tongue swelled and itched when I ate any of it.

I have been thinking about maybe getting allergy shots for these things but know nothing about this really. I read some where that they weren't good to get and others seem to say they are fine.

I would like to hear from someone who has tried this. Did it help/work?

Any other input is welcome.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

I had allergy shots in the 8th grade back in 1997 I think. I got maybe six months into the series of shots and severly reacted to them with severe asthma attacks and they didn't give me any more shots. While on them and recieving what I did never seemd to make a difference in my reactions to anything but like I said I never finished the shots.

Yenni Enthusiast
I had allergy shots in the 8th grade back in 1997 I think. I got maybe six months into the series of shots and severly reacted to them with severe asthma attacks and they didn't give me any more shots. While on them and recieving what I did never seemd to make a difference in my reactions to anything but like I said I never finished the shots.

I had a co worker once that got them for bee stings. I guess she was really allergic and it helped I guess. But she never talked about it much and it wasn't for food.

Hmm...

Thanks for the reply!

Juliebove Rising Star

AFAIK, allergy shots are only good for things like inhalants and bee stings. Perhaps they now have them for food, but if so it's something very new. I tried them for inhalants and the shots were not for me. First there were all the trips to the Dr. and having to sit there for an hour after I got the shot to see if I'd get a bad reaction. I never did get a "bad" one, but the shots made my allergies way worse than they'd otherwise have been. And I was told I'd need to continue getting the shots for about 20 years. So after about a year of suffering through them, I stopped.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I don't think there are allergy shots for foods. If there are please let me know! I've heard of allergy shots for insect stings, pollen, and other inhalents.

Yenni Enthusiast

I have read at several places recommendation to get shots for additional allergies. I did read they seem to work better for inhalants than food though. But maybe I missunderstood.

I am allergic to apples, pears, cherries, carrots, peaches, all tree nuts, almonds, plums, birch pollen and strawberries.

I never seemed to have that much problems not being able to eat the fruits and nuts but now, when I can't have gluten, casein and legumes my world is suddenly much "smaller". I think the book Dangerous Grains speaks of getting shots...but I am not 100% sure if it was there I read it.

I am gonna try to search more online and I actually sent off a little e-mail to EnteroLab about their view on this. Not sure they will answer questions like that though. Thought I'd try anyways.

I did read some where that it was supposed to be bad to try to alter allergies with shots like that. That one is supposed to listen to the body kinda. Who knows. Would be interesting if I could get a reply from EnteroLab. They (one of the guest speakers) mention shots at the seminar he holds. (I have it on DVD.)

I guess I should add that I read you can't get them for intolerances.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I have taken allergy shots for years. I have severe inhalant allergies - dust mites, mold spores, dander... and a long list of others. My allergist is very big on immunotherapy and it does help to lessen the severity of the issues. However, he doesn't do immunotherapy for food allergies.

If he did... I would think my children would be first in line. But, no such luck.

Part of the issue is that immunotherapy is typically for things that you simply can't avoid. If you have a food allergy, don't eat the food you are allergic to. It's that simple. You can easily avoid those things. However - dustmites, pollens, molds - those are things you can't avoid. And, that's what allergy shots are geared toward, the unavoidable allergens.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yenni Enthusiast

Okay, maybe I missunderstood the whole thing. Enterolab is gonna think I am a weirdo.

Normally I wouldn't look into this, but my world feels very "small" now when it comes to food. :( I feel like I am eating 10 things over and over..

tarnalberry Community Regular

double ditto jayhawkmom. for food... sorry. :(

Yenni Enthusiast

Bummer. You have all convinced me. It was a nice dream though... :P;)

cchhrriiss Newbie

I have been getting allergy shots for over a year. I'm allergic to dust mites, cats, and dogs. They have been very helpful. My allergist said, avoidance is the only thing you can do for food allergies.

Guest cassidy

I tried allergy shots for my allergies to dust mites, cats and many other pollens. I got very frustrated because I would get these huge welts after the shots so they would have to back the dose down. After a year I never got to where I was going less than once a week because we weren't able to up the dose often enough. The idea is to give you more and more each time and space the shots out to where you are going once a month. I didn't feel any different so I just gave up.

Oddly enough I found that when I went gluten-free I was able to stop taking my allergy medicine (this is years and years after the shots). My cat sleeps in my bed and I'm sure my house is full of dust mites and I don't seem to have allergies anymore. It is really strange.

dlp252 Apprentice
I tried allergy shots for my allergies to dust mites, cats and many other pollens. I got very frustrated because I would get these huge welts after the shots so they would have to back the dose down. After a year I never got to where I was going less than once a week because we weren't able to up the dose often enough. The idea is to give you more and more each time and space the shots out to where you are going once a month. I didn't feel any different so I just gave up.

Oddly enough I found that when I went gluten-free I was able to stop taking my allergy medicine (this is years and years after the shots). My cat sleeps in my bed and I'm sure my house is full of dust mites and I don't seem to have allergies anymore. It is really strange.

This is very similar to my story...I got allergy shots in both arms twice a week for 3 years without much difference in symptoms. Plus took Zyrtek every day. Then around the same time I went gluten/casein free a new allergist took over the practice. Their methods of dosages, etc. was a bit different, and I was able to progress to where I am now...maintenance shots about once per month. However, the last 3 times I got my shots I had an allergic reaction to them...huge red welts and severe itching, so they've had to back the dosage down. I think that going gluten/casein free made the most difference for me in my symptoms, so I am considering stopping the shots.

Yenni Enthusiast

I got an answer from EnteroLab. They do not recommend shots for food allergies when the proteins in the food breaks down so much faster than inhalants and stuff, so giving shots would be a guessing game. As far as I understod it from the reply they do give shots for food but it doesnt seem to work well and can be dangerous.

So I am not gonna think about doing that any more. Sounds too risky and might not help much.

Thanks for all of your replies!!

• 2 weeks later...
Cheri A Contributor

Hi guys ~ I have not posted about the numerous allergies that my dd has (see siggy).

After nearly 7 years of sleepless nights, and several allergists, we went to see Allergy Associates in LaCrosse WI. They use sublingual immunotherapy (drops under the tongue) for inhalent as well as food allergies. While we are still avoiding all the foods, she is receiving drops for them. She is SOO much better than she was. They also use conventional drugs like antihistimines, Pulmicort, Albuterol etc.

But now she only needs the albuterol seasonally for about a week once/day and also the Pulmicort. The antihistimine she is on daily still. Her eczema was also much less last summer/fall than in all the previous years where it just kept getting worse!

Open Original Shared Link

Check out this link

Archived