Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Wine Barrel Contamination?

10 posts in this topic

Here's a link to a description of wine barrel making:

http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/barrelsmade.htm

Note the following toward the end:

"The cooper then finishes the assembly of his barrel. The body is set up and the heads fitted into the crozes that have been coated with a paste of wheat flour. Then comes the final hooping, put in place with a large mallet."

Anyone know if this matters? How could it not????

Ads by Google:

I don't know anything about wine making, and never drink any wine (or other alcohol), because I simply hate the taste, and can't tolerate alcohol.

But it seems to me that it should matter that they coat the crozes (whatever those exactly are) with wheat flour, if it comes into direct contact with the wine.

All I can reply with is that of all the celiacs I know who drink wine, none have ever suspected being glutened by it.

richard

I was warned of this by a wine maker. It was either Kendall Jackson or Robert Mondavi, I can't remember which. They explained it to me when I called inquiring whether their wines were gluten free. I, however, have never gotten sick from wine. Well, not gluten sick anyway.

I know that small home-grown wine makers in the US usually use stainless steel. I know the larger type wine makers use the barrels.I think I would be concerned if I was totally sensitive. This would be a good product to have checked out. We make & bottle our own wine so that way we have no issue with it. Winemaking is very simple...

mamaw

More likely wine contamination problems could come from fining agents or sulphites in wines. After I was diagnosed with egg and dairy allergies, I learned the winemakers use gelatin or skim milk (casein) or egg whites or inorganic substances to 'purify' their wines. Those 'fining' agents attract foreign bodies and then sink to the bottom of the barrel before wine is poured off. However those who are sensitive to eggs or dairy can still react to stray proteins in the wines. 'Fining' is an 'industry' standard and few wineries will reveal which agents they consistently use. Even nonalcoholic wine makers use fining agents. The Ariel company uses both egg white and/or casein on a wine by wine basis. Also people who are sensitive to sulphites may react to sulphites in some wines.

However there are sulphite free wines available. Also there are 'vegan' or 'unrefined' wines which do not use organic fining agents like dairy, eggs or gelatin. I found 3 unrefined wines at my local Whole Foods, but those were each $10-15. That's pricey if you drink wine every night. However I had resigned myself to drinking sparkling apple juices and really missed wine before I found vegan wines.

BURDEE

I react to small quantities of gluten, but have never had any problems with wine. I have not heard of any other celiacs having a gluten-related problem with wine. It is not something I worry about; I just consider wine a safe beverage choice.

I am a frequent wine-drinker, and have no problems at all. In fact I worked for a winery for four years...I would think that the wheat-paste would not be a factor at all after the first fermentation....

I am a frequent wine-drinker, and have no problems at all. In fact I worked for a winery for four years...I would think that the wheat-paste would not be a factor at all after the first fermentation....

Can you elaborate a little more on "after the first fermentation?" Thanks!

Can you elaborate a little more on "after the first fermentation?" Thanks!

Wine barrels are reused for years (and by years, I mean decades, if they can get that). IIRC from the wine tours I've been on*, There is a active market for *old* barrels that are still in good condition. Old = good in wine, and wine barrels. :P They do get replaced for age eventually, and for damage more often, but they are used for a long time.

*I'm not a big wine fan - I dislike most wines. But I know a bunch of budding wine connosieurs, and have had two "friend-of-an-aquaintance"s with their own small wineries which have gotten me tours. For someone who doesn't drink wine, doesn't tour wineries, and doesn't go sampling or reading about wine much, I've learned more than I'd ever though I would about the process. :rolleyes: