Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:07 PM

Here's a link to a description of wine barrel making:

http://www.mastergar...barrelsmade.htm

Note the following toward the end:

"The cooper then finishes the assembly of his barrel. The body is set up and the heads fitted into the crozes that have been coated with a paste of wheat flour. Then comes the final hooping, put in place with a large mallet."

Anyone know if this matters? How could it not????

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:32 PM

I don't know anything about wine making, and never drink any wine (or other alcohol), because I simply hate the taste, and can't tolerate alcohol.

But it seems to me that it should matter that they coat the crozes (whatever those exactly are) with wheat flour, if it comes into direct contact with the wine.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:29 AM

All I can reply with is that of all the celiacs I know who drink wine, none have ever suspected being glutened by it.

richard

#4 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:07 AM

I was warned of this by a wine maker. It was either Kendall Jackson or Robert Mondavi, I can't remember which. They explained it to me when I called inquiring whether their wines were gluten free. I, however, have never gotten sick from wine. Well, not gluten sick anyway.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#5 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:55 AM

I know that small home-grown wine makers in the US usually use stainless steel. I know the larger type wine makers use the barrels.I think I would be concerned if I was totally sensitive. This would be a good product to have checked out. We make & bottle our own wine so that way we have no issue with it. Winemaking is very simple...

mamaw

#6 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:09 PM

More likely wine contamination problems could come from fining agents or sulphites in wines. After I was diagnosed with egg and dairy allergies, I learned the winemakers use gelatin or skim milk (casein) or egg whites or inorganic substances to 'purify' their wines. Those 'fining' agents attract foreign bodies and then sink to the bottom of the barrel before wine is poured off. However those who are sensitive to eggs or dairy can still react to stray proteins in the wines. 'Fining' is an 'industry' standard and few wineries will reveal which agents they consistently use. Even nonalcoholic wine makers use fining agents. The Ariel company uses both egg white and/or casein on a wine by wine basis. Also people who are sensitive to sulphites may react to sulphites in some wines.

However there are sulphite free wines available. Also there are 'vegan' or 'unrefined' wines which do not use organic fining agents like dairy, eggs or gelatin. I found 3 unrefined wines at my local Whole Foods, but those were each $10-15. That's pricey if you drink wine every night. However I had resigned myself to drinking sparkling apple juices and really missed wine before I found vegan wines.
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#7 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,989 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:07 PM

I react to small quantities of gluten, but have never had any problems with wine. I have not heard of any other celiacs having a gluten-related problem with wine. It is not something I worry about; I just consider wine a safe beverage choice.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:23 PM

I am a frequent wine-drinker, and have no problems at all. In fact I worked for a winery for four years...I would think that the wheat-paste would not be a factor at all after the first fermentation....
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#9 faegan

faegan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:39 AM

I am a frequent wine-drinker, and have no problems at all. In fact I worked for a winery for four years...I would think that the wheat-paste would not be a factor at all after the first fermentation....

Can you elaborate a little more on "after the first fermentation?" Thanks!

#10 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

Can you elaborate a little more on "after the first fermentation?" Thanks!

Wine barrels are reused for years (and by years, I mean decades, if they can get that). IIRC from the wine tours I've been on*, There is a active market for *old* barrels that are still in good condition. Old = good in wine, and wine barrels. :P They do get replaced for age eventually, and for damage more often, but they are used for a long time.

*I'm not a big wine fan - I dislike most wines. But I know a bunch of budding wine connosieurs, and have had two "friend-of-an-aquaintance"s with their own small wineries which have gotten me tours. For someone who doesn't drink wine, doesn't tour wineries, and doesn't go sampling or reading about wine much, I've learned more than I'd ever though I would about the process. :rolleyes:
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: