This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has Anyone Made gluten-free Hamentashen?

steveindenver

steveindenver Contributor

I'm starting to crave them, and Purim is in early March. I thought about using my regular recipe and using Bette Hageman's Featherlight Flour mix for flour. I still struggle with the xantham gum - when to add it/when not to/how much if I substitue the flour mix for regular gluten flour. I'd love a good hamentashen recipe if anyone has one. Cherry hamentashen or apricot....yum!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
I'm starting to crave them, and Purim is in early March. I thought about using my regular recipe and using Bette Hageman's Featherlight Flour mix for flour. I still struggle with the xantham gum - when to add it/when not to/how much if I substitue the flour mix for regular gluten flour. I'd love a good hamentashen recipe if anyone has one. Cherry hamentashen or apricot....yum!

I don't have a recipe for you--but I wanted to say OMG hamentashen!!!! I do miss that. There is a bakery here in South Jersey that makes the absolute best--blueberry was always my favorite :rolleyes:

Guest AutumnE

I havent had it before but here's an old thread on here with that recipe and many other kosher foods.

Open Original Shared Link

jesscarmel Enthusiast
I don't have a recipe for you--but I wanted to say OMG hamentashen!!!! I do miss that. There is a bakery here in South Jersey that makes the absolute best--blueberry was always my favorite :rolleyes:

mmmmm hamentashem. sounds good. i love the prune ones even though i dont really like prunes

Amethyst* Newbie

Oh if someone could only post that I would love them forever and ever! :D I miss those things!

debmidge Rising Star

1 stick butter or margerine

1 cup sugar

1 egg

2 T orange juice (or lemon juice)

1 t vanilla

2 t baking powder

3/4 t xanthan gum

3/4 cup corn starch *

1/2 cup white rice flour *

1/2 cup brown rice flour *

1/2 cup potato starch *

1/4 cup tapioca flour * * or use 2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour of your choice

Filling: Apricot, prune, or strawberry preserves or jam

mini chocolate chips, M&Ms, etc

Directions:

1. In mixer, cream butter and sugar

2. Add egg

3. Add orange juice and vanilla

4. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and xanthan

5. Add flour slowly to mixture

6. Refrigerate dough for several hours ( I do overnight)

7. Roll out dough onto lightly gluten-free floured surface. Roll to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness

8.Cut into circles with 2 1/2 inch wide glass

9. Fill each circle with about 1/2 teaspoonful of filling of your choice

10. Fold up 3 sides of circle and pinch edges firmly to form triangle with opening at center to let filling peek thru

11. Bake at 375 degrees on parchment covered cookie sheet for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool before transfering to plate.

Makes about 26 hamantaschen cookies. Recipe can be doubled

jerseyangel Proficient

Deb

I love you! Thanks :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

new to LI Newbie

i have seen them at my local store. i believe the company is joesph's bakery.

mamaw Community Regular

I don't have time right now to post the recipes but on St.John's listserve , they have about five different recipes & even tips.... they all sounded yummy - I think one was more involved than the other ones...

mamaw

Deb

I love you! Thanks :D

DITTO! I am definitely going to make these next weekend when I have time. I'll keep everyone posted.

hineini Enthusiast

That recipe looks great - I'm going to have to try it. I still have a can of lekvar (prune filling) in my cupboard from two years ago, think it's still good?

Would it be okay if I share this recipe on the AllergicJews Yahoo group? (Open Original Shared Link) I would give you credit obviously... Let me know .... I'm sure all the gluten-free Jewish folks there would be real happy to know they can eat hamentaschen this year :)

• 4 weeks later...

OMG! I made them and they turned out great. I used Bette Hagman's Featherlight Flour Mix for the flour and it worked. I used cherry pie filling. I need to find out about Solo Brand Apricot Cake & Pastry Filling (contains "Natural Flavor"). It's so good to have something from my childhood again. My partner loves these and calls them "yummy-tashen!".

jerseyangel Proficient
OMG! I made them and they turned out great. I used Bette Hagman's Featherlight Flour Mix for the flour and it worked. I used cherry pie filling. I need to find out about Solo Brand Apricot Cake & Pastry Filling (contains "Natural Flavor"). It's so good to have something from my childhood again. My partner loves these and calls them "yummy-tashen!".

So good to hear that you made them and they turned out well! I copied the recipe, but haven't tried it yet--but now I definately have to get going on it.

:D yummy-tashen.

zacharysmom Newbie

Finding this recipe almost made me cry. My 14 year old son was just diagnosed this December, so getting through all these holidays gluten free is new to us both. I can't wait to make him the hamentaschen, thanks so very much for posting it.

Next .. Passover. Any ideas or recipes? How do you sub for all that matzah meal in the recipes????

hockeymom Newbie
:rolleyes: Thanks for the recipe! Absolutely Yummy!!! They disappeared a day after I made them.
debmidge Rising Star
That recipe looks great - I'm going to have to try it. I still have a can of lekvar (prune filling) in my cupboard from two years ago, think it's still good?

Would it be okay if I share this recipe on the AllergicJews Yahoo group? (Open Original Shared Link) I would give you credit obviously... Let me know .... I'm sure all the gluten-free Jewish folks there would be real happy to know they can eat hamentaschen this year :)

It's not my receipe, it's from a board member who doesn't post anylonger (GFDOCTOR). I can't imagine the receipe is copyrighted or anything as gluten-free DOCTOR posted it on our board a couple of years ago.

• 1 year later...
ruthla Contributor

This year (5768/2008) it's Thursday night March 20th and Friday March 21st so it's time to bake hamentashen again!

I knew I could count on this website to get a recipe for hamentashen that doesn't rely on doctoring an overpriced gluten-free cookie mix. :)

HAK1031 Enthusiast

Oh wow, I completely forgot about Purim! I used to love baking hamentashen :) This recipe looks great

Takala Enthusiast
Finding this recipe almost made me cry. My 14 year old son was just diagnosed this December, so getting through all these holidays gluten free is new to us both. I can't wait to make him the hamentaschen, thanks so very much for posting it.

Next .. Passover. Any ideas or recipes? How do you sub for all that matzah meal in the recipes????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gluten Free Matzo Balls (Kneidlach) by Gluten Free Bay (she is vegetarian, gluten free, and Jewish)

Recipe uses almond meal and potato starch, optional flax seed, salt, mixed with egg. You can make almond meal by grinding nuts in a blender MUCH cheaper than buying it.

Same site, her Passover recipe links

Gluten Free Matzo Crackers

GLUTEN-FREE MATZAH CRACKERS

Makes approximately 16 2 to 2-1/2 inch (5-6 cm) round crackers.

4 oz. (125 g) potato flour [starch]

2 oz. (50 g) ground almonds

2 Tablespoons olive oil

4 Tablespoons water (keep 2 teaspoons water in reserve)

pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to gas no. 8 (450 F, 230 C).

Mix together the potato flour, ground almonds and salt.

Mix the olive oil and water (less the 2 teaspoons reserved water) in a bowl,

sprinkle on the dry ingredients, and use a fork to mix to a dough (if

dry-looking, add the reserved water).

Knead and form into a ball (if at all sticky, dust the board with a little

potato flour) and roll out slightly thicker than matzah.

Cut into 2-21/2 (5-6 cm) rounds. Prick all over with a fork and bake at gas no.

8 (450 F, 230 C) for 10 minutes or until light brown in colour.

ruthla Contributor

I realize you posted this a year ago, but I'm planning to skip any recipe that calls for matzah meal. There are plenty of potato starch based recipes out there. There are Jews, with no allergies or food sensitivities, are extra strict about Passover observance and cook without matzah meal. This means that they don't get matzah wet or use matzah meal or crumbled matzah in anything, and the foods are either made "without fillers" or are potato starch based, or use nut flour, etc. There are varying traditions about putting cream cheese or butter on matzah for those who follow that stringency.

Any kosher for passover foods that are labeled "no gebroks" are free of matzah or matzah meal. There are quite a few prepared foods (gefilte fish, sponge cakes, etc) that are "no gebroks" and therefore gluten free, plus plenty of Passover recipes that don't use matzah meal at all.

foxy Newbie

Did not make the hamenstashens, but purchased them at Grodzinskie's- made by "goodbye gluten" (a brand that is sold at a number of places including chapman's - on York Mills and Bayview) They are kosher. - Foxy.

ruthla Contributor

I made the hamentashen from the recipe posted at the beginning of the thread, but with a few changes in the flours. They came out great! The dough was a bit crumbly to work with- but my daughters did the labor intensive part, not me. ;) They came out absolutely delicious, and my oldest told me that they taste BETTER than the wheat-based ones we received from other people!

Archived