8 replies to this topic

#1 uhmanduh

uhmanduh

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:26 PM

Do alot of people if they still eat gluten while having the disease stay skinny? If so, how come? or why not? I'm just curious.

I'm still not doing well not eating gluten.... =/

I do have other questions like does it disrupt sleeping and like could it make you depressed?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:50 PM

"Do alot of people if they still eat gluten while having the disease stay skinny?"
I was very thin while eating gluten, skin and bones most of my body but with a hard, round tummy and looking pregnant in my mid section. I've always been very small but don't think that I've actively had Celiac Disease my whole life. My weight and body frame might just be genetic because I have exactly the same body type as my mom. Her celiac disease was activated later in life as far as I can tell. I was starting to gain weight when my celiac disease was at its worst but overall was still very thin compared to most people. I'm sure there's someone here who can explain why.

"If so, how come? or why not? I'm just curious."

"I'm still not doing well not eating gluten.... =/"

"I do have other questions like does it disrupt sleeping and like could it make you depressed?"

It absolutely can make you depressed. Many here have experienced that as well as myself. I still get a little depressed sometimes but it's NOTHING like it used to be and getting better the longer I'm gluten-free.

How long have you been gluten-free? The healing process takes time. Hang in there.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#3 Corkdarrr

Corkdarrr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

A lot of celiacs are underweight due to malabsorption. When your intestines are too damaged to absorb the food, it literally...runs right through you! :lol:

And yes, aside from the obvious gastro symptoms, it can make you feel depressed, fatigued, anxious, disrupt sleep...the list could go on forever.

Courtney
Courtney - 25
Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006
Casein-free since October 16, 2006
Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.
Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006
Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993
Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06
Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

#4 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

yeah i am really skinny i am 5'9" and less than 100 pounds.
they did research at stanford that says that even there are some celiacs who are completely healed still do not absorb completely and do not gain weight.
so yes your answer to both your questions is yes.
Molly

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:13 PM

many celiacs who are eating gluten (either because they are not yet diagnosed or because they opt not to follow the diet) do not absorb the food they eat, and are malnourished, and hence cannot maintain a healthy weight.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

Do alot of people if they still eat gluten while having the disease stay skinny? If so, how come? or why not? I'm just curious.

Nutrients, fats, and vitamins cannot be absored as well when someone with celiac disease is not on a gluten-free diet; therefore, weight loss may occur.

I'm still not doing well not eating gluten....

Sometimes people need several months on the diet to notice improvements.

I do have other questions like does it disrupt sleeping and like could it make you depressed?

Gluten can cause fatigue, insomnia, and depression.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#7 TeenCeliac

TeenCeliac

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:13 AM

i'm still super skinny...it's something we have to deal with. it's depressing enough to not eat like your friends...but when i was in 3rd grade boys made fun of my food. that's NOT nice. and so of course you get depressed every now and then. but you gotta handle yourself...sometimes i think it's either my genetics or somthin but i will be really hyper 1 second. and really depressed the next. and i always have done that my parents think it's genetics but i think it's this stupid food disorder! are you guys all with me that it really sucks to have this disease? i HATE it! i have had it since i was two. i dunno alot of stuff about it yet really i mean i do...but..well i dont wanna like find the cure for it or somthing. they are supposed to be comming out with a pill 4 us(but it's gotta take forever) and i got my handbook thing now so i'm excited!! because it tells me all these foods i can have and stuff. so tell me if you are wondering on anything cuz i can look it up. if you need to know right now! i'm always available on my cell...just say it's a fellow celiac and wanted to know about something i would be glad to elp 2019201

#8 Ashley

Ashley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:45 PM

Once I began the gluten-free diet, gradually my weight loss began to level off. I haven't gained any of it back, I've stayed at the same weight for almost two years now. I was still eating gluten, I would start losing weight again.

It's different for everyone, though. Some folks just don't lose the weight. Some even gain it. If you're losing weight and skinny, it's due to malabsorption. It takes 6 months to a year before your intestines heal and be able to asborb right again. As Molly said, some still can't absorb right.

From what I seen on the board, quite a few people deal with depression and loss of sleep if they're taking in gluten. I know I sure would.

Hope this helps,

-Ash

-Diganosed with Celiac's Disease on April 15, 2005.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"-Picasso

#9 uhmanduh

uhmanduh

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:56 PM

Thank yall! That helped a lot. I dunno I mess up and eat gluten alot and I usually dont sleep well and feel depressed and I was wondering if thats why. It's really hard for me to not give in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: