This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Skinny?

uhmanduh

uhmanduh Newbie

Do alot of people if they still eat gluten while having the disease stay skinny? If so, how come? or why not? I'm just curious.

I'm still not doing well not eating gluten.... =/

I do have other questions like does it disrupt sleeping and like could it make you depressed?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

"Do alot of people if they still eat gluten while having the disease stay skinny?"

I was very thin while eating gluten, skin and bones most of my body but with a hard, round tummy and looking pregnant in my mid section. I've always been very small but don't think that I've actively had Celiac Disease my whole life. My weight and body frame might just be genetic because I have exactly the same body type as my mom. Her celiac disease was activated later in life as far as I can tell. I was starting to gain weight when my celiac disease was at its worst but overall was still very thin compared to most people. I'm sure there's someone here who can explain why.

"If so, how come? or why not? I'm just curious."

"I'm still not doing well not eating gluten.... =/"

"I do have other questions like does it disrupt sleeping and like could it make you depressed?"

It absolutely can make you depressed. Many here have experienced that as well as myself. I still get a little depressed sometimes but it's NOTHING like it used to be and getting better the longer I'm gluten-free.

How long have you been gluten-free? The healing process takes time. Hang in there.

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

A lot of celiacs are underweight due to malabsorption. When your intestines are too damaged to absorb the food, it literally...runs right through you! :lol:

And yes, aside from the obvious gastro symptoms, it can make you feel depressed, fatigued, anxious, disrupt sleep...the list could go on forever.

Courtney

flagbabyds Collaborator

yeah i am really skinny i am 5'9" and less than 100 pounds.

they did research at stanford that says that even there are some celiacs who are completely healed still do not absorb completely and do not gain weight.

so yes your answer to both your questions is yes.

tarnalberry Community Regular

many celiacs who are eating gluten (either because they are not yet diagnosed or because they opt not to follow the diet) do not absorb the food they eat, and are malnourished, and hence cannot maintain a healthy weight.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Do alot of people if they still eat gluten while having the disease stay skinny? If so, how come? or why not? I'm just curious.
Nutrients, fats, and vitamins cannot be absored as well when someone with celiac disease is not on a gluten-free diet; therefore, weight loss may occur.

I'm still not doing well not eating gluten....
Sometimes people need several months on the diet to notice improvements.

I do have other questions like does it disrupt sleeping and like could it make you depressed?

Gluten can cause fatigue, insomnia, and depression.

TeenCeliac Rookie

i'm still super skinny...it's something we have to deal with. it's depressing enough to not eat like your friends...but when i was in 3rd grade boys made fun of my food. that's NOT nice. and so of course you get depressed every now and then. but you gotta handle yourself...sometimes i think it's either my genetics or somthin but i will be really hyper 1 second. and really depressed the next. and i always have done that my parents think it's genetics but i think it's this stupid food disorder! are you guys all with me that it really sucks to have this disease? i HATE it! i have had it since i was two. i dunno alot of stuff about it yet really i mean i do...but..well i dont wanna like find the cure for it or somthing. they are supposed to be comming out with a pill 4 us(but it's gotta take forever) and i got my handbook thing now so i'm excited!! because it tells me all these foods i can have and stuff. so tell me if you are wondering on anything cuz i can look it up. if you need to know right now! i'm always available on my cell...just say it's a fellow celiac and wanted to know about something i would be glad to elp 2019201

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ashley Enthusiast

Once I began the gluten-free diet, gradually my weight loss began to level off. I haven't gained any of it back, I've stayed at the same weight for almost two years now. I was still eating gluten, I would start losing weight again.

It's different for everyone, though. Some folks just don't lose the weight. Some even gain it. If you're losing weight and skinny, it's due to malabsorption. It takes 6 months to a year before your intestines heal and be able to asborb right again. As Molly said, some still can't absorb right.

From what I seen on the board, quite a few people deal with depression and loss of sleep if they're taking in gluten. I know I sure would.

Hope this helps,

-Ash

uhmanduh Newbie

Thank yall! That helped a lot. I dunno I mess up and eat gluten alot and I usually dont sleep well and feel depressed and I was wondering if thats why. It's really hard for me to not give in.

Archived