arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

CD Sufferers And Eating Disorders

• Please log in to reply

Poll: As a celiac have you ever had; (41 member(s) have cast votes)

As a celiac have you ever had;

1. Anorexia (7 votes [17.07%])

Percentage of vote: 17.07%

2. Bulemia (2 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

3. Anorexia and Bulemia (6 votes [14.63%])

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

4. Compulsive eating (8 votes [19.51%])

Percentage of vote: 19.51%

5. Pica (eating non-edible substances) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. None, normal eating (gi distress not a consideration here) (18 votes [43.90%])

Percentage of vote: 43.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

18 replies to this topic

#16 hafadai43

hafadai43

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:06 PM

I have been gluten-free for almost two years and a year before being diagnosed, I had to go to an eating disorder clinic for bulemia. Even before that I was anorexic....but didn't get any help for that. During this summer I've been making myself throw up a LOT again...more than I did before....I've slowed down recently...and have gained weight. I'm so depressed and wish my weight would just stay what it was before I was diagnosed: 105. I'm 5'1" and now weigh 115. 10 lbs is a lot on the petite frame I have...and although no one else agrees with me...I think I'm really fat. I get so depressed and hate myself when I do eat so I throw up. I don't feel much better than I did before going gluten-free...I don't have as many stomachaches...but am still tired and bloated all the time. Does anyone else feel like staying on the gluten-free diet is not worth it? I weighed 10 lbs less before I tried to get myself off gluten...but now I've gained weight and it's ruining the self esteem I gained from therapy. My depression affects everything in my life...and I don't know what to do anymore. I watch what I eat and recently bought Slim Fast (is that gluten-free???) so I could try to lose weight the "healthy" way. But so far I've had no luck. I feel like if I was thinner I would be so much happier...and I know I would be. I felt so much better about myself when I was only 105 lbs. Now all my clothes are tight to the point I don't want to wear them because they're so uncomfortable...some I can't even get over my big booty. On the edge of a serious meltdown again...and don't know what to do. Any help? Just wish I could lose the weight........

Rachel

Rachel Lyn

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:56 PM

I'm 5'2", so I know what you mean about 10 pounds being a lot on a small frame. But based on what you said in your post, it sounds like you're dysmporphic (I am to a degree, but not enough to cause an eating disorder, just enough to play with my thinking), and you may find the most help from a psychologist who can help you reorient your thinking towards being healthy. That's not to say you _can't_ lose any more weight (though 105 is getting down there...), but seeing someone who specializes in body image may help you reorient your thinking to a more biologically and psychologically heathy path.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#18 DrLeonard

DrLeonard

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 10:01 PM

This is one of the most interesting topics I've read here so far---it's such an important question but it's surprising how little research has been done about it. I'd like to add some things (I was going to say "weigh in" but...)

I've had celiac disease for at least ten years but was only diagnosed about four years ago. I'm a psychologist but I have absolutely no training in eating disorders. When I was symptomatic and in school, physicians and professors convinced me that it was all psychosomatic. Anyway, when I finally got diagnosed I got really interested in the psych research about celiac disease. On a more personal note, I definitely picked up disordered eating after being diagnosed. My girlfriend at the time happend to specialize in eating disorders and she tore her hair out, watching me avoid eating. I never had eating problems before celiac disease.

I now work with a lot of people with celiac disease in psychotherapy and I've collected data about eating habits and other issues. I can't get the studies published in journals mainly because I have a small sample, but also because journal editors don't seem interested in celiac disease. So I'm guessing that there actually is research about eating disorders and celiac disease, but it hasn't been published. I once did a literature review on every study ever published on celiac disease and couldn't find a single one that mentioned eating disorders. (If I missed something, please let me know).

This is just my opinion, but I don't think disordered eating that is caused by celiac disease is the same kind of thing as anorexia, bulemia, binge-eating, etc. If the world was more friendly to celiacs, I think you'd see fewer eating problems among us and just as many people with eating disorders. So in a way, I think disordered eating among celiacs comes from the fact that we have fewer choices, more restrictions, and less understanding from people who are not celiac disease.

Just my opinion, though.

#19 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:23 AM

I've got to agree with that sentiment. Sometimes it is easier to avoid eating than get contaminated when you can't be certain about what you're having. But figureing out where it crosses the line from being "safe" to being "obsessive" is a tough one when it's something that can make you so ill! (Just sympathizing here.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: