This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Cd And The South Beach Diet

FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA Contributor

I actually found out I was gluten intolerant after starting this diet. For those of you who don't know about it, you go for two weeks without any grains or potatoes, basically (as someone once said on the SBD forum I go to, it's a Low Crap, No White diet.) After these initial 2 weeks, you add in whole grains a little at a time. Funny, while on this first phase, I felt better than I could remember ever feeling. Half an hour (or less) after eating something with wheat in it, I thought I would die. Anyway, that's how I found out why I had so many problems (and it's been a bear dealing with doctors since :rolleyes: )

I'm just wondering if anyone else here is doing this diet? I've been on it since March, 2004 and have lost almost all of the weight I wanted to lose. It's been (relatively) easy, too. Anyway, since I just found this board, I'm hoping to find others with celiac disease, who are following the SB way of eating to chat with and be mutually encouraging toward.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I haven't done the SBD, but just wanted to remind you that gluten is in a lot of things that aren't grain related as well - soy sauce, anything with modified food startch, etc - in case you hadn't checked out the safe/unsafe list yet. I'm glad it's been helping you!

FreyaUSA Contributor

Oh, I'm a compulsive label reader and a member of the frequent customer service caller club! Lol!

SB is really a "way of eating" more so than a diet. It stresses using whole, unrefined, unprocessed foods (if you've ever heard of the glycemic index, that's what it's based on, eating foods that take longer to digest and turn into sugars, etc.) rather than buying any kind of product.

tarnalberry Community Regular

yeah... I don't really use the word "diet" in that common way either. "Diet" simply means the way you eat, period. Not some special "program" for some goal. (Like a biology class discussing the diet of the blue-footed booby (my favorite animal from biology class).) I eat much that way anyway (the whole, unprocessed foods thing...), but don't stick to any guidelines about avoiding high GI foods, but do keep GL (glycemic load... similar concept but a bit different...) - for example, as I recall, watermelon has a high GI, but because it's so much water, it turns out to have only a moderate impact on blood sugar when eaten normally, so it's GL isn't as high as it's GI (and you probably know all this, but I thought I'd throw it in for someone else reading who doesn't)) in mind when necessary. But I just think it's all about listening to your body anyway. Besides, whole foods taste better than over processed packaged stuff! ;-)

I just put in the comment because I can never tell who here is relatively new to starting out and who is a veteran! :-)

FreyaUSA Contributor

I like that, it sure makes you think: "The diet of the blue-footed booby was obviously not working. After gaining..." :D

Personally, I really appreciate all the help offered. I feel like, in the last 6 months, I must have reinvented the wheel several times. I only just discovered there is a support group in my area and one for parents of celiac disease children not too far, too. Btw, is there a list on this board of mainstream products out there that have been checked and confirmed to be gluten-free?

And about the gylcemic lists, I too go more for the GL than the index. Makes more sense to me. Though sometimes... :unsure:

• 4 years later...
Maryruth1035 Newbie
I actually found out I was gluten intolerant after starting this diet. For those of you who don't know about it, you go for two weeks without any grains or potatoes, basically (as someone once said on the SBD forum I go to, it's a Low Crap, No White diet.) After these initial 2 weeks, you add in whole grains a little at a time. Funny, while on this first phase, I felt better than I could remember ever feeling. Half an hour (or less) after eating something with wheat in it, I thought I would die. Anyway, that's how I found out why I had so many problems (and it's been a bear dealing with doctors since :rolleyes: )

I'm just wondering if anyone else here is doing this diet? I've been on it since March, 2004 and have lost almost all of the weight I wanted to lose. It's been (relatively) easy, too. Anyway, since I just found this board, I'm hoping to find others with celiac disease, who are following the SB way of eating to chat with and be mutually encouraging toward.

Wow--that's how I found out I was wheat/gluten intolerant too! (Also in 2004) I wonder how many other SB'ers did likewise? Of course, I understand that you can be wheat/gluten intolerant without having celiac--but I'm not really sure what the difference would be in terms of GI symptoms. Before SB I always thought it was lactose intolerance since wheat tears up my stomache so that I couldn't have milk if I was eating wheat--of course now I can't eat wheat, but can have milk products any time I want! Of course I'm glad I got used to soymilk before that since it is an excellent source of low carb protein!

So--anyway, there's another diet--called the Protein Power Life Plan that you might want to check out. Everything on the SB diet would be allowed on PPLP, but the PPLP is a lot easier to monitor--all you do is to count carbs--so making multiple recipies is easier (at least for me) Anyway, you can check it out online. Two MD's--husband and wife, wrote the book. It seems to me that it is South Beach without many recipes and with more flexibility.

Say, I don't know if you live in a small or large community--but if I had a Doctor who didn't take my word for it that I had a wheat/gluten intolerance (I've never been formally tested and wouldn't go back on wheat for any reason, especially not for them to tell me that I don't need to avoid wheat, when I already know I do!)--I'd fire him/her and get another Doctor. My doctor was thrilled when I told her I figured out what was making me sick and it was wheat/gluten--she's the one who then told me I should read PPLP!

SO---yeah, there are others here on the SB. There's also a lot of info on the web for diabetics on SB/ and low carb + sb.

• 2 weeks later...
mamaesq Rookie
Wow--that's how I found out I was wheat/gluten intolerant too! (Also in 2004) I wonder how many other SB'ers did likewise? Of course, I understand that you can be wheat/gluten intolerant without having celiac--but I'm not really sure what the difference would be in terms of GI symptoms. Before SB I always thought it was lactose intolerance since wheat tears up my stomache so that I couldn't have milk if I was eating wheat--of course now I can't eat wheat, but can have milk products any time I want! Of course I'm glad I got used to soymilk before that since it is an excellent source of low carb protein!

So--anyway, there's another diet--called the Protein Power Life Plan that you might want to check out. Everything on the SB diet would be allowed on PPLP, but the PPLP is a lot easier to monitor--all you do is to count carbs--so making multiple recipies is easier (at least for me) Anyway, you can check it out online. Two MD's--husband and wife, wrote the book. It seems to me that it is South Beach without many recipes and with more flexibility.

Say, I don't know if you live in a small or large community--but if I had a Doctor who didn't take my word for it that I had a wheat/gluten intolerance (I've never been formally tested and wouldn't go back on wheat for any reason, especially not for them to tell me that I don't need to avoid wheat, when I already know I do!)--I'd fire him/her and get another Doctor. My doctor was thrilled when I told her I figured out what was making me sick and it was wheat/gluten--she's the one who then told me I should read PPLP!

SO---yeah, there are others here on the SB. There's also a lot of info on the web for diabetics on SB/ and low carb + sb.

Me too! I was getting ready to start SB and was on message boards looking at different ideas, etc. I came across a post about celiac and how the person's symptoms were so much better. I chuckled to myself thinking, "of course they will get better if you aren't eating wheat." I read the post anyway and as she listed her symptoms, I checked them off in my head, I have that. I have that. I have that. I have that. Hmm...this is weird. And the rest is history. I never realized that the way I felt was abnormal, after all, my mom has always felt this way, maybe it was just genetic. Turns out it was...we were diagnosed the same day, three weeks ago. My sister was diagnosed a few days ago!

So, even though I didn't start SB because I wanted to wait until I got tested for celiac, it did more for me than I ever could imagined. And in three weeks I've lost 9 lbs, even without following SB!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Maeve Newbie

I watched my friend do SBD and thought she was nuts, but saw how she went from junk food junky to health nut and loved it, also, lost lots of weight. Upon my celiac disease DX AND a huge weight gain, I started searching for other ways to eat, so I wouldn't starve. I explored SBD and SCD (we all know as Specific Carbohydrate diet), if you look at them, they have some basic principles (plus some great recipes) that make your body respond a certain way. I say this because I now understand my friend when she says she doesn't miss the old way of eating. I found SBD wasn't enough, so now do SCD and LOVE IT. I think it's just a matter of where your body is at, but SBD is good way of eating (of cours, minus all gluten/wheat)

It is funny how if you remove something you think was fine, then you add it and see how you actually do react to it. I am finding this to be true all the time, and I feel much more in control.

Good luck and if you want to take it a step further, or even just get more great recipes, try SCD website, or cookbook.

• 10 months later...
Roda Rising Star

I thought I would pick up this thread again. I finaly became discusted with myself and decided I needed to loose weight. My parents are doing the south beach diet and are now in phase 2 and have had good results. Thus it motivated me. I want to loose about 20-30 lbs. I am just going on day four in phase one. So far it has not been that hard. The challange is going to be in phase 2 & 3. That is when you start reintroducing some grains. It is based on the gi and alot of our substitues are higher. In phase 2 rice and rice cakes are still a no no and so goes the rice based flours too. There are pita wraps etc and I was going to try to just adapt the microwave bread recipe that was posted on here. I can always make it out of all almond meal but was wondering if anyone would know if flax and sorgum flour would be alright? I also thought I would eat creamy buckwheat cereal instead of gluten free oatmeal (I don't even tolerate the gluten free oats--bummer :( ) When I hit phase 3 I will resume rice in moderation (but boy I could make a whole meal out of it :P ).

On a side note... has anyone experienced an increase in urination while on the south beach diet? I think this is the most I have gone in a long time with the exception of drinking loads of water. I am drinking about the same amount of water to maybe a little more. Also can anyone give me a cliff notes version on how to understand glycemic index vs glycemic load? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast
a member of the frequent customer service caller club! Lol!

I always wanted to be in a club! Love this.

jnclelland Contributor

Hi, Roda!

I've been doing a modified version of SB for the last few years, and I find that it works very well with gluten-free. Brown rice is fine on Phase 2 (unless they've changed something in the last few years!), and so are things like quinoa and sweet potatoes. I also eat Tinkyada brown rice pasta every now and then, but not too often. I just stopped eating most baked goods and really don't miss them much; I feel a lot healthier without them! My one "cheat" is that I do have a piece of toast on gluten-free bread for breakfast (I also like cream of rice - made from brown rice - for breakfast); I make my bread from a mix from Breads by Anna. It's probably not technically SB-legal (it has some tapioca flour in it), but it's closer to a whole grain bread than a lot of gluten-free breads. There are also several good bread recipes floating around here if you're willing to bake your own from scratch.

Just experiment and figure out what works for you; I've had to modify SB in several ways to accommodate my food allergies (dairy and soy in addition to gluten), but the most important thing is the overall nutritional content (LOTS of veggies!) and portion control on the carbs.

Good luck!

Jeanne

Roda Rising Star

It has been about 11 months since I went gluten free and the first few were a big learning curve. I had been experimenting with a lot of gluten free baking and have done rather well with the things I've tried. Now I go and decide to do this so the baking is out for now. I would like to do some baking once I hit phase three and really would like to use flours that are more in line with the diet. Does know if coconut flour would be alright?

cyberprof Enthusiast

Hi Roda and Jeanne,

I too am doing modified SBD. I recently lost a total of 12 and have about 16 more to go to get to an acceptable weight. What I've found is that I can't lose weight if I eat corn, rice, potatoes or baked goods. Sugar seems to be ok in small doses.

So I eat South Beach Phase 1 plus a glass of wine a day, a square or two of dark chocolate w/almonds for a treat. A normal day is: B'fast tea w/milk, sugar, two eggs and V-8. Lunch is leftover protein or salmon or tuna salad plus veggies. Snack is almonds or KIND bar. Sometimes greek yogurt with honey, almonds and craisins. Dinner is meat, veggies, salad and a glass of wine. Cheese for snack.

I fell off the wagon last week when we had a party at work (too many tortilla chips) and did some baking but I am back on starting today.

Roda Rising Star
Hi Roda and Jeanne,

I too am doing modified SBD. I recently lost a total of 12 and have about 16 more to go to get to an acceptable weight. What I've found is that I can't lose weight if I eat corn, rice, potatoes or baked goods. Sugar seems to be ok in small doses.

So I eat South Beach Phase 1 plus a glass of wine a day, a square or two of dark chocolate w/almonds for a treat. A normal day is: B'fast tea w/milk, sugar, two eggs and V-8. Lunch is leftover protein or salmon or tuna salad plus veggies. Snack is almonds or KIND bar. Sometimes greek yogurt with honey, almonds and craisins. Dinner is meat, veggies, salad and a glass of wine. Cheese for snack.

I fell off the wagon last week when we had a party at work (too many tortilla chips) and did some baking but I am back on starting today.

I weighed in Friday and I lost 7lbs. I can tell that I'm loosing my shelf on my back side. :lol: I will begin phase two this Fri or Sat. I have found a great site for low carb gluten free stuff (mostly deserts) and found an english muffin recipe and a wrap recipe. Here is the link.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Check out the rest of the site. I think this girl is one sharp cookie. She even makes a chocolate cake from black beans!

camundson Newbie

B)

I am new to this site and fairly new to gluten-free eating. I have been looking for a way to lose weight while eating gluten-free. I happen to have the SB diet book and cookbook. I am going to go check it out. Thank you for the information and if it works I'll let you know.

Roda Rising Star

I baked up a south beach version of brownies made with black beans. The batter tasted pretty good. The smells wafting from the kitchen are heavenly. I have a new sweet treat for my desert for the next several days. I'll probably freeze the rest. I'll post after I try them. :D

camundson, I got turned onto this by my parents. I heard about their sucess and all the good food they were eating and decided to give this a try. Phase one has been pretty easy given it is pretty much gluten free. I am looking forward to phase two when I reintroduce fruits. I needed to loose because I was really putting on weight with all the gluten free baked goods and rice. I started on 9/25 weighing in at 196# (I am 5'7" with a fairly stalky build) and on 10/2 at 189#. For now my target weight is 160# and not to go below 150#. Up until my youngest son was almost two, I weighed in around 150# and that was very skinny for my frame. I was able to wear some size 8 pants. At this point it is more about a more acceptable weight and being more healthy. Good luck with it. I am really having fun experimenting with the recipes. I joined online and it is pretty reasonably priced. I got a 7 day free trial and then it is $5/week.

Roda Rising Star

Well the "brownies" tasted pretty darn good. It was more like a chocolate cake really, so moist. The only complaint I have is the aftertaste from the splenda. It was all I had so I used it. I will be trying a blend of erythritol and stevia extract as soon as I get some. I like the fact that both of those are natural and supposedly don't leave the aftertaste like the splenda. I will post the recipe I used under the cooking forum so others can enjoy it also. Would be great for diabetics and it has lots of fiber to boost.

• 11 months later...
Roda Rising Star

Bumping up this thread again. I quit doing th diet and exercising around Feb. because of some issues I have been having. I'm managing them for now so I am going to start this back up in the morning. I've gotten so discusted with myself lately on how I look. I'm no heavier than when I started this last year, but still need to get that weight off. I'm pretty unhappy about it. I am going to start back up with my exercise also. So if anyone here needs support (and by gosh I know I do) join in again! :P

lynnelise Apprentice

I've always liked the South Beach diet. I used to think it was amazing how it cleared up my stomach issues, now I know why! lol! I've been indulging in a bit too many gluten-free goodies so I need to get back on board myself!

Archived