25 replies to this topic

#1 heathen

heathen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

does anyone know about gluten-free friendly foods at sonic drive-ins? i know this ia a predominantly southern chain, but i really like their drinks and would like not to be ill. thanks.
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2006
Villus blunting and positive blood test

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Joanie & Meg

Joanie & Meg

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:57 PM

:rolleyes:

does anyone know about gluten-free friendly foods at sonic drive-ins? i know this ia a predominantly southern chain, but i really like their drinks and would like not to be ill. thanks.

Hey Heather-I live in Arkansas to. Talked to a manger friend and he said basically nothing is safe except the cokes.

#3 celiacgirls

celiacgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:27 PM

I tried to link to another post on this topic but it didn't work. This is taken from the Alamo Celiac support group's website:

Sonic. 866-657-6642. No gluten-free menu that is printed or published on the Internet. However, a company representative at Sonic's toll-free number verbally gave the following list of gluten-free menu items:

Bacon
Breakfast sausage patty
Hamburger, no bun
Hotdog, no bun
Sliced American cheese
Shredded cheddar cheese
Pepperjack cheese
Egg patty (may be contaminated from cooking on the same griddle as non-gluten-free foods)
Ketchup
Mustard
Marinara sauce
Salad dressings, all varieties in the usual menu*
Shake mix (Shakes may be made in the same container as malts. Ask the staff to clean the container to prevent cross-contamination.)
Softserve ice cream
Hershey's chocolate syrup
Butterfinger, M&M, Reese's Pieces, and whipped toppings
Route 44 drinks, all flavors in the usual menu*
Slushes, all flavors in the usual menu*
*Special menu items are not included in this list.

Although Sonic's Tater Tots and French fries are gluten free, they may have gluten contamination from being fried with gluten-containing menu items.
Karen

gluten free 4/06
casein free 7/06
DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free
vegetarian
gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab

#4 heathen

heathen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:14 PM

thanks. i get the drinks, but i'm quite wary about the food. in fact, i'm enjoying my cherry limeade slush right now. yum.

#5 heathen

heathen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:16 PM

:rolleyes:
Hey Heather-I live in Arkansas to. Talked to a manger friend and he said basically nothing is safe except the cokes.

i love that you refer to them as cokes... a little off subject, but where do you live? do you know about the GIG group in Little Rock?

#6 Joanie & Meg

Joanie & Meg

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:11 AM

Hi again. I sent you a message-but seeing this is my first message board I have ever written on I am still not sure I'm doing things right! Just in case you didn't get it-I live in White Hall about 30 minutes south of the rock. I know Anne that does the GIG at wild oates. Supper nice lady. I also did a gluten free cooking demo this past fall for thanksgiving. Never did anything like that before-it was fun. Feel free to e-mail me anytime.
Joanie

#7 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:33 AM

heathen:
that sounds yummy :). I lived in Auburn for two years (one of which was pre-gluten free) and I always enjoyed Sonics!
Enjoy their limeade for me :)
Laura

#8 jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:08 AM

I'm no where near the South, and we have Sonic on every other corner. =)

I love my Route 44 diet Dr. Pepper! =)

I was also told that the Tots and Fries are gluten-free, but CC can be an issue if there is not a dedicated fryer.
Jayhawkmom -
Mom of three....
Jay - 11
Bean - 8
Ian - 3

#9 mcsteffi

mcsteffi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:55 PM

I too love sonic... esp their milkshakes.... so one day I called to make sure they had a dedicated fryer and asked a few other questions. Its my 3 yr old son that is celiac. When we got there I asked to get a kids meal w/ a hot dog plain instead of the corn dog in the kids meal. They were sooo rude. The manager came out and told me that was impossible because of the price difference. I explained to him about my son not being able to eat anything on the kids menu and all I needed was a plain hot dog (not even the bun) instead of the corn dog. He completely refused. I told him a hot dog should be cheaper than the corn dog and he just kept shaking his head no and kept saying its impossible!!! I was soo furious! We left and havent been back. I miss the strawberry limeades but I will not go back.

stef.

#10 Mewsic463

Mewsic463

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:37 AM

CC issues at any Sonic is a REALLY big issue. (I've been inside several.) I'd stick with the drinks and stay away from the food.

Sorry to disappoint

#11 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:48 PM

I eat at Sonic regularly and have never had any problems.
I've eaten the chicken salad, cheese tots, fries, burgers w/ no bun, and coneys with no bread or chili. But... maybe it's just me! :)

#12 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:51 PM

I eat at Sonic regularly and have never had any problems.
I've eaten the chicken salad, cheese tots, fries, burgers w/ no bun, and coneys with no bread or chili. But... maybe it's just me! :)

Just wanted to point out that just because you have not had any physical symptoms does not mean that you are not causing damage to your intestines.

Have you called corporate to make sure these items are safe? If not, then please do not recommend that people eat them. It is terribly risky to judge if things are gluten free by eating and waiting for symptoms to appear.

Just my 2 cents.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#13 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:10 PM

Just got off the phone with sonic........having an icecream craving and it will be my only opportunity on the way to my parents.....anyways......soft serve icecream is gluten-free (didn't ask about toppings) and all of their drinks and add ins's are gluten-free.......have to have my sonic drinks for summer!! However, I wanted to re-verify the status. Just thought I'd share!! Enjoy!

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#14 johnm

johnm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:36 PM

I see tater tots on the list of ok stuff, can anyone confirm that? I can't find an ingedient list online for any of their foods and am used to things like tater tots having a wheat coating for crispyness.

#15 Karen B.

Karen B.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:08 PM

Maybe it varies by local restaurant but my Mom has been extremely sick from eating at the Sonic near her and finally after the 3rd time, she gave up. I've never given them a try beyond cokes or limeade. (and yes, my cokes are Cokes :-)
Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: