25 replies to this topic

#16 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:48 PM

Ironic to see this post today, because I just had fries at my local sonic two days ago and I got really sick. On a couple of the fries I saw little fried bits-like from fried chicken. I think they don't understand the point of a dedicated fryer (at this location at least).
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:38 PM

Just got off the phone with sonic........having an icecream craving and it will be my only opportunity on the way to my parents.....anyways......soft serve icecream is gluten-free (didn't ask about toppings) and all of their drinks and add ins's are gluten-free.......have to have my sonic drinks for summer!! However, I wanted to re-verify the status. Just thought I'd share!! Enjoy!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Well, I would never recommend unverified restaurant food to anyone. I was simply sharing my own experience. I trust that people can make up their own minds.

#18 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:43 PM

Well, I would never recommend unverified restaurant food to anyone. I was simply sharing my own experience. I trust that people can make up their own minds.

Cynicaltomorrow...not sure why you quoted my post about the icecream??? I wasn't saying anything about your posts. I was only saying I called to verify the status of a couple of items since it had been quite a while since I had called the last time.

Still stand by my earlier comment though, that it is risky to eat things like the hot dog, chicken salad etc....huge risk of cc and who knows if they are even safe?!?!

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#19 Aphreal

Aphreal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

I'm no where near the South, and we have Sonic on every other corner. =)

I love my Route 44 diet Dr. Pepper! =)

I was also told that the Tots and Fries are gluten-free, but CC can be an issue if there is not a dedicated fryer.

A kindred spirit, I LOVE diet Dr Pepper
Started exhibiting symptoms 1979
DXed IBS 1987
Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010
Gluten free since July 12 2010
Carb&Sugar light August 2010
experimenting with being Grain light

#20 polarbearscooby

polarbearscooby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

The ONLY things I can have at my sonic are the drinks and the ice cream (I like the M&M blast) but I have gotten sick before when the put oreo cookies in my blast at the bottom and didn't re-make it...
I can't eat any of the food because they have one fryer and one grill
Sucks but oh well

#21 bbop

bbop

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

I found on Sonics Site their Allergen Menu, basically nothing is safe and as the grills and everything are not cleaned in between you risk cross contamination.

Source: http://sonicwww.s3.a...ergen_Table.pdf

#22 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

I found on Sonics Site their Allergen Menu, basically nothing is safe and as the grills and everything are not cleaned in between you risk cross contamination.

Source: http://sonicwww.s3.a...ergen_Table.pdf

Thanks for the update bbop and welcome!  Sonic is the least of all places I would stop, even for ice cream. <shivers>

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#23 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

I have had cherry lime slushes there, since going gluten-free - and I was fine. Other than that - didn't even attempt it.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#24 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

• ha ha - i saw the name of this thread and LOL'd - i would never ever ever ever ever eat at sonic.  i would forage for grubs and berries if my only other option was sonic.  3 out of my 4 kids worked there and (even before i was dx'd) they have no clue on how to keep you safe.  the place is known for getting orders out fast fast fast - carhops and staff are timed!!  even if somebody did have a good knowledge of gluten-free, some other high school kid working there would spread crumbs on your stuff in a rush to get orders out.  the ice cream?  seriously?  

no!  no sonic!  sonic bad!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 Evon

Evon

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

The staff of the Sonic I went to were very nice and informative.  I ask about "dedicated" fryers.  Although they had 3 fryers, I was told that their Breaded Cheese Sticks were also fried in one dedicated to only potatoes.  So, you just have to be bold and ask and if still in doubt, don't get it.  I don't think a lot of fast food places are aware of cross contamination...in fact, that is a problem even in restaurants who claim things are gluten-free. 

I tried to link to another post on this topic but it didn't work. This is taken from the Alamo Celiac support group's website:

Sonic. 866-657-6642. No gluten-free menu that is printed or published on the Internet. However, a company representative at Sonic's toll-free number verbally gave the following list of gluten-free menu items:

Bacon
Breakfast sausage patty
Hamburger, no bun
Hotdog, no bun
Sliced American cheese
Shredded cheddar cheese
Pepperjack cheese
Egg patty (may be contaminated from cooking on the same griddle as non-gluten-free foods)
Ketchup
Mustard
Marinara sauce
Salad dressings, all varieties in the usual menu*
Shake mix (Shakes may be made in the same container as malts. Ask the staff to clean the container to prevent cross-contamination.)
Softserve ice cream
Hershey's chocolate syrup
Butterfinger, M&M, Reese's Pieces, and whipped toppings
Route 44 drinks, all flavors in the usual menu*
Slushes, all flavors in the usual menu*
*Special menu items are not included in this list.

Although Sonic's Tater Tots and French fries are gluten free, they may have gluten contamination from being fried with gluten-containing menu items.

#26 LFitts

LFitts

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

• ha ha - i saw the name of this thread and LOL'd - i would never ever ever ever ever eat at sonic.  i would forage for grubs and berries if my only other option was sonic.  3 out of my 4 kids worked there and (even before i was dx'd) they have no clue on how to keep you safe.  the place is known for getting orders out fast fast fast - carhops and staff are timed!!  even if somebody did have a good knowledge of gluten-free, some other high school kid working there would spread crumbs on your stuff in a rush to get orders out.  the ice cream?  seriously?  

no!  no sonic!  sonic bad!

Lol! I would forage for grubs and berries too, ha. The place is a NIGHTMARE. You cannot eat at a sonic without getting gluten. The shakes ARE NOT SAFE. Maybe the cokes, but why bother because you'll just be tempted to get chili cheese tots or some other atrocity.

9 year old daughter diagnosed celiac November / December 2012
Postive endoscopy / biopsy, positive antibody test, positive genetic test

She's been gluten free since diagnosis. I've been gluten free with her since Jan 2013.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: