#1 hillary_henry@yahoo.com

hillary_henry@yahoo.com

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 10:06 AM

Hi
My daughters blood test came back positive she goes for her biopsy on the 29th of this month. I took Ronni to the doctors because she was always sick. Well ronni hasnt had diarrhea or vomiting this month she still hasn't gained any weight and shes not gluten-free. I was just wondering could the blood test be wrong? maybe this is just wishful thinking.

Hillary

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 10:51 AM

Hillary,

As I understand it, it is common for symptoms of celiac disease to come and go. I believe the blood tests typically do NOT produce false positive results--though false negatives are another story entirely. I totally understand your wish, however! I hope your daughter's biopsy conclusively proves the diagnosis, so you can move beyond the doubt you are understandably experiencing right now and put her on a gluten-free diet with a clear conscience. Good luck to you both as you prepare for the biopsy!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#3 hillary_henry@yahoo.com

hillary_henry@yahoo.com

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:03 AM

Thanks Sarah, I'm sitting here at work in tears. I just hope I can do everthing right so my daughter is healthy. I know I will have more questions after the 29th.

Thanks Again,
Hillary

#4 DLayman

DLayman

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:13 AM

Give that girl a big hug and tell her that the biopsy will be fine!! We just got through it with our two year old! He did great!
Don't be suprised if the result of the bipsy is negative.. I would trust the blood tests thought because your body does not just randomly make antibodies!
I am going to have to probably fight to get a blood test because my doc went straight to the biopsy!!!

#5 hillary_henry@yahoo.com

hillary_henry@yahoo.com

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 01:56 PM

Hi,
Ronni had her biopsy yesterday. Before her biopsy Ronni's doctor explained to me that it was thought that celiac disease affected the intestines but they have come to learn it affects the stomach as well so she was going to do a biopsy of her stomach to. After the biopsy her doctor told me her stomach had some inflamation you can imagine how upset that made me then she tells me her intestines are twisted may need surgery to repair. I asked if I should start her on a Gluten free diet and she told me not yet. Im writing this and I know it probably doesnt make any sense, anyway has anyone ever heard of celiac affecting the stomach and why would I be told not to put her on a gluten free diet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: