- - - - -

What Happens After You Go Gf?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_memoryofaspyn_*

Guest_memoryofaspyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2004 - 09:49 AM

I am just wondering if after I go gluten-free what happens if you accidentally come in contact with gluten? I have heard some people say they get really sick, do you get any sicker than you would have been before going gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 10:35 AM

Yes......your body, before going gluten-free, is so used to the gluten that your reactions aren't as severe......when you go gluten-free, if you get glutened, your body would react more violently, not being used to the gluten, anymore.

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 11:34 AM

Different people have different reactions. Some people react horribly to tiny amounts. Some people react about the same as before the diet. Some people are actually less sensitive. And some people, like me, barely react or don't react at all.

richard

#4 Mydnyt

Mydnyt

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:32 AM

Something to do with the amount of time since you've been gluten-free?
One of the girls I know is intolerant, but once in a while (ie. 8 months or so) she'll have some pizza or pasta or something while out with friends with minimal side effects. But if she does it a couple of times it hits her big time

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:14 AM

I think it pretty much entirely varies by individual, and no one can answer that question for you... I seem to have gotten a bit more sensitive, but was never terribly sensitive to begin with.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:18 AM

I was just pondering this and thought I remember seeing - therefore, I decided to add my 2 cents.

Since discovering all of my intollerances and then accidentally ingesting something I know I cannot eat, I am so sick. However, I can't decide if I am reacting the same way I did before the restricted diet (no gluten, milk/casien, corn, soy bean, and corn) because I was sick all the time and it just felt normal or if my reactions are actually getting worse.

Even minute amounts kill me and I am sick for at least 24 hours, and it seems the larger the quantity, the longer the period of pain so I eat any new what I would consider safe food in very small quatities to wait for a reaction and if I don't have one, then I eat more just to be sure.

Just a little venting...I usually enjoy my food and life and am very thankful that I have figured this out so I can actually enjoy life again.

-Kate
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#7 HAPPY DOG SUZ

HAPPY DOG SUZ

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:25 AM

:unsure: Katie
What kind of pain were you in?
I was diagnosed w/fibromyalgia now celiac. Just trying to get a connection if there is one to my pain thanks Suzanne

#8 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:41 AM

All digestive pain (along with fever, headaches, joint pain, fatigue) - the docs have checked to see if I have fibromyalgia and so far, I don't pass all 18 points. I am hoping that I don't develop the rest.

-Kate
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#9 Guest_memoryofaspyn_*

Guest_memoryofaspyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:24 PM

I get really bad leg pain (in my muscles). Before I found out I had celiac I had them test my lactic acid. 2 years ago my oldest daughter passed away from a genetic condition called mitochondrial disease, and with it she had a condition called lactic acidosis. Since this condition is genetic, it was at first thought that I to had the condition and passed it on to my daughter. I have had sever muscle aches, especially in my legs and lower back all of my life. When I asked the doctors to run the lactic acid test, that is when they decided to also test me for celiac.

I have been searching high and low to find out if my daughter may have also had celiac, she was 8 months old when she passed away, and she only weighed 11 lbs, but with Mitochondrial disease it is common for children not to gain weight, but I am wondering since I was nursing and didnt know I had celiac, was she getting all the nutrition she needed? Did my celiac add to her already severe condition and make it worse? Sorry about the rambling, but I am searching for answers, I miss her terribly, and want to know all I can. we have another baby now who has a 1 in 4 chance of having the same condition, and I want to make sure we are doing everything we can to make sure she will be fine. if anyone is interested you can visit my daughter Aspyn's website at www.aspynblock.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: