This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tinkyada Pasta?

daltons

daltons Rookie

I saw something on this forum about tinkyada pasta? I am wondering what that is and where I can find it, because we haven't found pasta that my step son will eat. We tried corn pasta that we can buy in bulk at our local health food store and it was disgusting. He loves mac and cheese and is the one thing he has had a hard time being without, but we just can't find anything good, and rice pasta is nasty. Can anyone help me out?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Tinkyada is the best!! I honestly think if I made a pasta dish with it and had a side by side taste test with "regular" pasta you wouldn't be able to tell the difference!! I can get it at my local grocery store (not all their varieties, but a lot of them) and you can also order them on line from almost any gluten-free grocery web site.

jerseyangel Proficient
I saw something on this forum about tinkyada pasta? I am wondering what that is and where I can find it, because we haven't found pasta that my step son will eat. We tried corn pasta that we can buy in bulk at our local health food store and it was disgusting. He loves mac and cheese and is the one thing he has had a hard time being without, but we just can't find anything good, and rice pasta is nasty. Can anyone help me out?

Hi daltons,

Here is a link that will tell you all about Tinkyada.

Open Original Shared Link

I can find it at Whole Foods, and grocery stores like Shoprite, Wegmans, and Acme. It's either in the regular pasta aisle, or in the natural foods section.

It's very good--lots of people here love it. Just be careful not to overcook it :)

Luvs to Scrap Apprentice

I had the health food store order if for me a case a time. Some of the bigger health food stores where we live stock some of it anyway. Tinkyada is the most wonderful thing--totally saved my sanity now that we are gluten-free at our house. :) Kendra

happygirl Collaborator

Tinkyada is by far the best! I had bad experiences with corn pasta, too ;). It was so disappointing. About 9 months or so into the diet, my mom found Tinkyada....it has been a life saver. We use it all the time....even serve it to others. When we are with my family or my husband's family, everyone eats it (I'm the only Celiac)....and have served it in pasta salads at football tailgates (to a slew of non-Celiacs).

I can get them at Giant, Farm Fresh, Kroger, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and health food stores. Or you can order online. If a local store doesn't carry it, I would ask them to. Its great to be able to pick it up with my regular things at Giant.

Enjoy :)

Guest cassidy

Tinkyada is the best and I too buy it by the case. I have been able to find it at all the health food stores, so maybe I'm just lucky.

If your son likes Kraft Mac & cheese you can buy the powdered cheese in a blue canister. It is usually near the pasta and green canister Kraft parmesan cheese. I wouldn't recommend taking the cheese packets out of the normal Kraft mac & cheese because the packet sitting in all the pasta seems scary and I got sick trying that, but the cheese packet is gluten-free. I love that mac & cheese and buy the canisters and just add butter and milk.

BostonCeliac Apprentice

I'm just going to agree with everyone else - I LOVE Tinkyada pasta!! It's the best. I am thinking about buying in bulk. I get it from either Stop & Shop or Whole Foods or if I'm near any kind of discount health food store, I'll buy there (usually in NYC).

I make mac & cheese alot with this, and my boyfriend LOVES it, he likes it better than any other kind. I usually get the tri-color spirals, cook it in half water, half gluten-free chix stock (herb ox), and then mix in a little butter & shred cheddar cheese in - YUM...

:) Hope you find it and like it as much as everyone else!

Allie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kathy1 Contributor
I am thinking about buying in bulk.

Anyone know where we can buy this in bulh at a discounted price? I love this and use it alot. I have resorted to buying most gluten-free items in bulk via the internet, but I have not had any success in finding a site that offers this at a savings. The lowest price I can find is around 2.99. I would be more than willing to buy a few cases at a time if the price is right!!

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I LOVE Tinkyada too! My kids cannot tell the difference AT ALL! My daughter likes it better (she wasn't a big pasta person before we switched, but she likes it better...how funny).

My Whole Foods sells it for $2.99 - that's the CHEAPEST I've seen it anywhere - even online. So, I'll keep buying it there. Someone I know told me that Trader Joes makes Brown rice pasta too - I'm going to try that this time - for $1.99/lb. I know we had it a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago, just to check it out. But I can't remember if I liked it or not.

My grocery store sells it for $3.99 a bag. :(

I was REALLY dissapointed with DeBoles. IT was really sticky. And I know i didn't over or under cook it. It wasn't mushy or gummy. And i did rinse it like they tell you too but it was just not right. I have not been brave enough to try corn pasta - mostly because of the comments I've seen on here.

GOOD LUCK!

missy'smom Collaborator

If you can't get Tinkyada, try Orgran rice or rice and millet. I really like it and my non-celiac family eats it too. I use Trader Joe's Brown Rice Penne too but I usually use a cream or oil based sauce with it because I think that matches better with this pasta. I didn't like the corn pasta or the DeBoles. I haven't tried Tinkyada yet.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I buy Tinkyada at Wegmans and sometimes I stock up when it goes on sale for 1.99 a bag. It is the best pasta and it tastes like regular pasta.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Ditto on the tinkyada love. I serve it to the unsuspecting and they never know (until the eat it, remember I can't have pasta, and then I tell them). :P

• 4 weeks later...
mouth Enthusiast

HI. Tinkydaya pasta is wonderful.. MY daughters diet consists mainly pasta and a few other things. I get Tinkydaya at Whole Foods, Some Stop N' Shops sell it (in NY), also you can email them they will answer, and tell you where you can it, or call, you may be able to order it from them. IT is a rice pasta, but its made differently. It is made of stone ground rice (some of them stone ground brown rice) my daughter loves it.. Most of them are made to be al dente, most of them will not get mushy, they have one call little rice dreams, its shapes, this one will get very soft. Some have rice bran which my daughters nutritionist says is ok.. because it is rice.. good luck. Mouth :)

tabasco32 Apprentice

[tinkydaya tinkydaya is great! I don't know if I have gluten intolerance but I want to just eliminate it because of ibs or something no wheat. My mom ran out of wheat pasta for rice pilaf so she used these noodle and fried them in oil and they browned! She was shocked how they work just llike regular wheat noodle. She made the rest of the rice pilaf you know with white rice and chicken broth and garlic. She told no one about it and my family didn't notice a difference at all. looked good with the tri tip and potatoe salad which I um can't eat either. Oh well hummmm.

quote name='mouth' date='Feb 22 2007, 10:22 PM' post='272810']

HI. Tinkydaya pasta is wonderful.. MY daughters diet consists mainly pasta and a few other things. I get Tinkydaya at Whole Foods, Some Stop N' Shops sell it (in NY), also you can email them they will answer, and tell you where you can it, or call, you may be able to order it from them. IT is a rice pasta, but its made differently. It is made of stone ground rice (some of them stone ground brown rice) my daughter loves it.. Most of them are made to be al dente, most of them will not get mushy, they have one call little rice dreams, its shapes, this one will get very soft. Some have rice bran which my daughters nutritionist says is ok.. because it is rice.. good luck. Mouth :)

tabasco32 Apprentice

[tinkydaya tinkydaya is great! I don't know if I have gluten intolerance but I want to just eliminate it because of ibs or something no wheat. My mom ran out of wheat pasta for rice pilaf so she used these noodle and fried them in oil and they browned! She was shocked how they work just llike regular wheat noodle. She made the rest of the rice pilaf you know with white rice and chicken broth and garlic. She told no one about it and my family didn't notice a difference at all. looked good with the tri tip and potatoe salad which I um can't eat either. Oh well hummmm.

quote name='mouth' date='Feb 22 2007, 10:22 PM' post='272810']

debmidge Rising Star

It's a very good product and will fool anyone that it's gluten-free. I have started seeing it in my local Shop Rite supermarket too.

mouth Enthusiast
It's a very good product and will fool anyone that it's gluten-free. I have started seeing it in my local Shop Rite supermarket too.

Are you saying that Tinkydaya is not gluten free? The packages that I buy are marked gluten freee, wheat free, etc, made from stone ground rice and water, or stone ground brown rice and water, one says stone ground rice and rice bran and water.

Mouth

jerseyangel Proficient
Are you saying that Tinkydaya is not gluten free? The packages that I buy are marked gluten freee, wheat free, etc, made from stone ground rice and water, or stone ground brown rice and water, one says stone ground rice and rice bran and water.

Mouth

Tinkyada is definately gluten-free. I believe what debmidge meant was that you could serve it to non-gluten-free folks and they wouldn't know the difference.

mouth Enthusiast
Tinkyada is definately gluten-free. I believe what debmidge meant was that you could serve it to non-gluten-free folks and they wouldn't know the difference.

Oh Thank you very much.. I got scared there for a minute!! My daughter loves this stuff.... :P ... And you are right, I tasted it the other night and it was pretty good ! Hey jerseygirl, I used to live in NJ too..

Archived