#1 TonyG

TonyG

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:42 PM

Hello,

I have been diagnosed with celiac disease a few months ago but seem to have many other food intolerances as well. This morning I had one of the worst mornings ever and would like to know if anyone had experienced this.

I had awoken this morning with severe cramps. As the morning progressed the cramps increased to the point where I had to call out sick from work. I took a little P-Bismol to help reduce the pain and tried to go back to bed. I was so very wrong. To make a long story short, I was in the bathroom all morning with the following symptons-

Inability to retain warmth, yet warm forehead
Diarrhea
Vomiting
Dizziness
Uncontrollable spasms (from being cold)
Painful urine

I had never thought I could have so many bad things piled up in one lucky day. I was beginning to freak out but held off from calling the hospital. After finally purging my entire stomach (from puking) the pains went away and I was able to drink some water and lay down in bed. These reactions were very abnormal and I am reluctant to point the blame at accidental gluten intake. The foods eaten last night include Boston Market chicken, lightly salted rice cakes, emerald cashews, a little bit of lactose free ice cream, and Andes mints.

After looking through WebMD and Google I am beginning to think all this was from a stomach virus and not gluten related. Lactose free icecream will sometimes go right through me, but nothing like what happened today. Are there other Celiacs out there that experience stomach troubles even after sticking the diet?
Someone please find a cure, we would all like our lives back

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jesscarmel

jesscarmel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:55 PM

It is possiBle that you got cross contamination from the chicken you Bought. there also a lot of stomach Bugs going around so it could Be a flu. its hard to say. i'm sure someone else here may have Better advice. try drinking some pedialyte. its a drink that replenishes nutrients after vomittng/diareha.
I hope you feel Better real soon!!!!

Jess
Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac
years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

#3 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:59 PM

I had a stomach virus last weekend and the effects lingered around, it wasn't gluten. I know a ton of other people who had the same problems in the last few days. Sometimes I forget that just we are gluten free doesn't mean you will escape the everyday ills.
I totally understand about the cramps....mine were so bad I thought I was going to ask John to take me to the ER, I was scared. Then all the other fun stuff came. Did not have the urine problem though.
Hope you are feeling better.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#4 TonyG

TonyG

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

This is definately abnormal, it has been bypassing all the Immodium I've been taking. My best guess has to be a virus with the aid of the lactose free ice cream. I haven't eaten much today, im afraid the aches could return.

Is it even physically possible to develop a cure for gluten intolerance? I'd like to start living again.
Someone please find a cure, we would all like our lives back

#5 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:03 PM

It is possible the chicken gave you food posioning. It is notorious for creating stomach problems if not cooked or stored correctly.

Hope you are feeling better.
Cathy

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:10 PM

While there's a small potention for contamination from most of those items, what you describe - particularly the chills and length of time/course of symptoms - makes me strongly think food poisoning.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:35 PM