22 replies to this topic

#1 CatandCanary

CatandCanary

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

I'm hoping someone can help. I have been feel ill and my doctor did some tests. Can someone tell me about Anti TPO test and what could cause it to be at 757.
I am 45 years old married with 6 children

1969 Chronic Asthma, food allergies- wheat, dairy
1970 Migraine Head Aches
1978 Grand Mall Seizures
1998 Fibromyalgia
2000 Irritable Bowel
2004 Hypothyroidism
2005 Interstitial Cystitis
Unwilling to eat gluten for Celiac test
Oct 1st 2006 Gluten free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 georgie

georgie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:35 AM

A high TPO is usually a dx for Hashimotos Thyroid - an autoimmune thyroid. What did you Dr say? Are you on Thyroid meds ? If so , they are not controlling your antibody attacks. A high TPO means you have lots of Antibodies attacking your Thyroid. The TSH is not accurate at this stage. You need to dose to suppress the Antibodies before they totally destroy your Thyroid. Armour does that.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#3 CatandCanary

CatandCanary

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:14 PM

A high TPO is usually a dx for Hashimotos Thyroid - an autoimmune thyroid. What did you Dr say? Are you on Thyroid meds ? If so , they are not controlling your antibody attacks. A high TPO means you have lots of Antibodies attacking your Thyroid. The TSH is not accurate at this stage. You need to dose to suppress the Antibodies before they totally destroy your Thyroid. Armour does that.

Hi georgie,

I went to a new doctor to request Armour for my thyroid and she did some tests and is sending me back to my GP. She said Armour is not a good idea for me because my TSH is on the high side, she said my test result are consistant with Hashimotos and is lowering my thyroid medication.
I am realy confused about what is going on. Why is the Anti TPO so high and what is causeing it. Im realy tired and sick. Last night I couldn't sleep because my feet felt like a cat was puring on them, that is the only way I can discribe it.

Thank you for your help.

Cat

1970 Migraine Head Aches
1978 Grand Mall Seizures
1998 Fibromyalgia
2000 Irritable Bowel
2004 Hypothyroidism
Oct 1st 2006 Gluten free

#4 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:53 PM

I went to a new doctor to request Armour for my thyroid and she did some tests and is sending me back to my GP. She said Armour is not a good idea for me because my TSH is on the high side, she said my test result are consistant with Hashimotos and is lowering my thyroid medication.
I am realy confused about

Its not you that should feel confused - its your Dr. The most successful med to lower a TSH and lower Antibodies is Armour. Your Dr is young ? Most Drs trained in the last 40 years have no working knowledge of Armour, and like ostriches with their heads in the sand - refuse to even research it or update their training. I can only suggest you find another Dr that understands Hashimotos and Armour. I really can't understand at all what your Dr is talking about. Armour lowers TSH ( which is a useless way to test Hashis ) brilliantly. But a Dr that only understands TSH is a Dr that only understands basic Thyroid - and you need to run from this Dr.

Armour is as close to bio identical to what your own body produces ( or would produce if it were healthy). Its perfectly stable, and potency is accurant. In fact - Synthroid has had a few batch recalls in the last few years due to inaccurate potencies. Not Armour. I love taking Armour. It feels so .....good....and so ....right. Read STTM or any yahoo list and you will hear 1000s of similar stories.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#5 nutralady2001

nutralady2001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:28 PM

Hello, I have been a member here for a little while but haven't posted up until now.

What georgie said is true

TSH is not a good diagnostic tool...having said that if you have a high TSH your meds should be increasing not decreasing.

The tests you need are FREE T3 and FREE T4. The Free T3 should be at the top of the range and the Free t4 around the 3/4 mark.

If you have Hashimoto's Disease then it is best to aim for a TSH close to zero, because that will reduce the antibodies.

I spent nearly 12 years on synthetic T4

9 months ago I switched to Armour and it's the best decision I have ever made
Diagnosed Eczema 1964 aged 16 but with what I know now from research am sure it was Dermatitis Herpetiformis
Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1969 at age 21 but had it from age of 12 many painful episodes over the years( was probably Coeliac all along)
Diagnosed Hashimoto's Disease/Hypothyroid November 1994
Low B12 November 2006
Low B12 (still!) July 2007 Docs are happy with results just above low end of normal..*sigh*....still need to resolve it
Gluten free since October 2006 after failing gluten challenge
Diagnosed Hiatus Hernia and Los Angeles Grade A reflux via endoscopy October 2007
Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease via same endoscopy / biopsy October 2007 (took them long enough!) despite being gluten-free damage still evident although had been taking iron tablets for iron deficiency without realizing they contained gluten. Subsequent blood tests show :Positive Anti-Gliadin IgA EIA antibodies, Positive Endomysial antibodies ,Positive tTG IgA antibodies of 300 ("normal" range 0-15)
Auto-immune disease goes back at least 5 generations in my family (and counting) Mainly Type 1 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.
Number 1 Son has Type 1 diabetes ..diagnosed March 2007 at age 31, number 2 son aged 24 is A/I disease free so far ,daughter has lichen planus ( similar to psoriasis) diagnosed 2003 at age 17 am now wondering if it is DH but with flippancy of the young she won't get any testing done

#6 CatandCanary

CatandCanary

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:32 PM

Hello, I have been a member here for a little while but haven't posted up until now.

What georgie said is true

TSH is not a good diagnostic tool...having said that if you have a high TSH your meds should be increasing not decreasing.

The tests you need are FREE T3 and FREE T4. The Free T3 should be at the top of the range and the Free t4 around the 3/4 mark.

If you have Hashimoto's Disease then it is best to aim for a TSH close to zero, because that will reduce the antibodies.

I spent nearly 12 years on synthetic T4

9 months ago I switched to Armour and it's the best decision I have ever made

Hi nutralady,

Thanks for your information. I am going to the GP tomorrow morning and this info will help when she shows me the test result. I am hoping that someone made a mistake on reading them to me over the phone. If not I am getting a copy of the results and going to a private practice doctor as a last resort. None of what this new doctor is doing makes good with me. My first question will be why didn't the doctor that took the test explain them to me or tell me what was going on instead of just sending me to the GP. She did seem to be be a good doctor but looks are not going to get me better. I'm getting to the point that I am not feeling I can keep working. I have been with my job or 17 years and never had this much trouble with my health. On the other hand now I know I can not eat gluten. I have been doing OK on the diet but find I have made a lot of mistakes for the last 3 months. Thanks again.

Cat

1970 Migraine Head Aches
1978 Grand Mall Seizures
1998 Fibromyalgia
2000 Irritable Bowel
2004 Hypothyroidism
Oct 1st 2006 Gluten free

#7 CatandCanary

CatandCanary

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:01 AM

Hi Everyone,

I went to the GP yesterday, she said my T4 was a little high and my T3 was normal. She said she had no idea why I am having so much pain all over my body. I had brain fog and forgot to ask her about the Anti TPO levels. She gave me a new dose on the thyroid meds and said they don't put people on Armur anymore and gave me a long story of why. I am not giving up on the Armur yet, just at a stand off with doctors. My doctor is going to run a B12 test and a test for Porphyria. She said the Porphyria is a long shot but wants to rule it out.

Thanks to all of you for helping me. If anyone comes up with ideas for the Anti TPO leves please let me know.

Cat

1970 Migraine Head Aches
1978 Grand Mall Seizures
1998 Fibromyalgia
2000 Irritable Bowel
2004 Hypothyroidism
Oct 1st 2006 Gluten free

#8 dionnek

dionnek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:46 AM

Just curious, why did she say they don't put people on Armour anymore? I just wonder why, other than the fact that the pharmacy companies are controlling drs now :)

#9 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:50 AM

and said they don't put people on Armur anymore and gave me a long story of why. I am not giving up on the Armur yet, just at a stand off with doctor

And this person has a Drs license :lol: Sounds like another Dr being controlled by Big Pharma.

If anyone comes up with ideas for the Anti TPO leves please let me know

I am not sure what this means. The best way to get those TPO Antibodies to 0 where they should be - is enough Armour.

#10 CatandCanary

CatandCanary

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:53 AM

Just curious, why did she say they don't put people on Armour anymore? I just wonder why, other than the fact that the pharmacy companies are controlling drs now :)

Hi dionnek,

She said it had something to do with the T3 and that if you start taking Armour your 3T will become dependant on it. She also said that most people on Armour are old people who were started on it years ago. It seems that most doctors with HMO plans are not wanting to put people on Armour. When that happens it makes me feel that maybe it is related to contracts and agreements with drug companies. Do you know if Armour is more costly? Do HMO's get cheeper drugs than the smaller practic Co. ? I wonder if it is polatices.

Do you think I should rule out the Thyroid being the problem if my test came out high T4 and normal T3?

I was realy not feeling well when I went to the doctor. I hope this helps.
Cat

1970 Migraine Head Aches
1978 Grand Mall Seizures
1998 Fibromyalgia
2000 Irritable Bowel
2004 Hypothyroidism
Oct 1st 2006 Gluten free

#11 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:10 PM

Do you know if Armour is more costly?

What many are thinking.... Armour is TOO good. It controls HypoThyroid, depression, high cholestrol, osteoporous, obesity, hypoglycemia,muscle pain,type 2 diabetes etc etc etc So you add up what all THOSE meds cost and see how one pill that replaces all of those is going to cost the drug companies big $$$s. Sadly - there is more profit in keeping people sick. If you are well you wouldn't need a Dr ! He would be out of a job ! This is just my own gut feeling and also the popular opinion on the Thyroid Lists. Believe it or not. And most Drs are trained by drug companies - even at med school.

I have read from a Drs page on Mary Shomon's site that back in the 50s that Armour was also used as a cholesterol med. If you had high cholesterol you were put on Armour to lower it.

Cat, You have high Antibodies. They attack your Thyroid and kill it. You can wait another 5, 10 years until its completely non functioning, or you can take a med that works and will stop any further damage. Your Dr is wrong - Armour is used by LOTS and they aren't all old :lol: In fact - its more the younger people that have computer access and can learn about it - and all its benefits - that are using it.

#12 nutralady2001

nutralady2001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:04 PM

What many are thinking.... Armour is TOO good. It controls HypoThyroid, depression, high cholestrol, osteoporous, obesity, hypoglycemia,muscle pain,type 2 diabetes etc etc etc So you add up what all THOSE meds cost and see how one pill that replaces all of those is going to cost the drug companies big $$$s. Sadly - there is more profit in keeping people sick. If you are well you wouldn't need a Dr ! He would be out of a job ! This is just my own gut feeling and also the popular opinion on the Thyroid Lists. Believe it or not. And most Drs are trained by drug companies - even at med school.

I have read from a Drs page on Mary Shomon's site that back in the 50s that Armour was also used as a cholesterol med. If you had high cholesterol you were put on Armour to lower it.

Cat, You have high Antibodies. They attack your Thyroid and kill it. You can wait another 5, 10 years until its completely non functioning, or you can take a med that works and will stop any further damage. Your Dr is wrong - Armour is used by LOTS and they aren't all old :lol: In fact - its more the younger people that have computer access and can learn about it - and all its benefits - that are using it.

Hi Cat and Georgie.

Cat I am in a couple of American thyroid groups and I know some of the girls say it is cheaper to just buy their Armour without going through the insurance company, they just put their script in and get it filled.

It is not true that Armour is not being prescribed

Why on earth would she lower your meds if you have a high TSH.It doesn't make sense

My TSH is 0.01 That is the aim with Hashi's to reduce the antibodies you have to lower the TSH

Your T3 will become dependant on it???? No!

For good health you need an FT3 at the top of the range.If your thyroid is not producing hormone then you have to replace it

Although the FT4 converts into FT3 your thyroid gland if it was healthy would produce T1, T2, T3, t4 and calcitonin.

It is not healthy so you must give it those missing hormones
Diagnosed Eczema 1964 aged 16 but with what I know now from research am sure it was Dermatitis Herpetiformis
Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1969 at age 21 but had it from age of 12 many painful episodes over the years( was probably Coeliac all along)
Diagnosed Hashimoto's Disease/Hypothyroid November 1994
Low B12 November 2006
Low B12 (still!) July 2007 Docs are happy with results just above low end of normal..*sigh*....still need to resolve it
Gluten free since October 2006 after failing gluten challenge
Diagnosed Hiatus Hernia and Los Angeles Grade A reflux via endoscopy October 2007
Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease via same endoscopy / biopsy October 2007 (took them long enough!) despite being gluten-free damage still evident although had been taking iron tablets for iron deficiency without realizing they contained gluten. Subsequent blood tests show :Positive Anti-Gliadin IgA EIA antibodies, Positive Endomysial antibodies ,Positive tTG IgA antibodies of 300 ("normal" range 0-15)
Auto-immune disease goes back at least 5 generations in my family (and counting) Mainly Type 1 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.
Number 1 Son has Type 1 diabetes ..diagnosed March 2007 at age 31, number 2 son aged 24 is A/I disease free so far ,daughter has lichen planus ( similar to psoriasis) diagnosed 2003 at age 17 am now wondering if it is DH but with flippancy of the young she won't get any testing done

#13 CatandCanary

CatandCanary

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

Hi Cat and Georgie.

Cat I am in a couple of American thyroid groups and I know some of the girls say it is cheaper to just buy their Armour without going through the insurance company, they just put their script in and get it filled.

It is not true that Armour is not being prescribed

Why on earth would she lower your meds if you have a high TSH.It doesn't make sense

My TSH is 0.01 That is the aim with Hashi's to reduce the antibodies you have to lower the TSH

Your T3 will become dependant on it???? No!

For good health you need an FT3 at the top of the range.If your thyroid is not producing hormone then you have to replace it

Although the FT4 converts into FT3 your thyroid gland if it was healthy would produce T1, T2, T3, t4 and calcitonin.

It is not healthy so you must give it those missing hormones

Georgie and Nutralady,

Thank you for all this information, I am going to print this up and take it to the doctor with me the next time I go. I did not know about the T1 and T2, I am going to get the test results in the mail any day now and I will most deffanatly take a look into getting info on where I can buy it, if my doctor will not give it to me. If I don't start feeling better soon I'm not going to wait to long before I call her back and go in. My GP only went over the T3 and T4 nothing else. When I get the results back I will be able to see it in black and white. No more over the phone or from the doctor. I have some property in Mexico that I visit 2 time a year, and if I have to, I will get a doctor there. I'm despret to get help, the state of mind I am in now, I am suprised I can even remember my own name.
Your help has been very appriciated.

Thank you so much.
Cat

1970 Migraine Head Aches
1978 Grand Mall Seizures
1998 Fibromyalgia
2000 Irritable Bowel
2004 Hypothyroidism
Oct 1st 2006 Gluten free

#14 CatandCanary

CatandCanary

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:35 PM

Georgie and Nutralady,

Thank you for all this information, I am going to print this up and take it to the doctor with me the next time I go. I did not know about the T1 and T2, I am going to get the test results in the mail any day now and I will most deffanatly take a look into getting info on where I can buy it, if my doctor will not give it to me. If I don't start feeling better soon I'm not going to wait to long before I call her back and go in. My GP only went over the T3 and T4 nothing else. When I get the results back I will be able to see it in black and white. No more over the phone or from the doctor. I have some property in Mexico that I visit 2 time a year, and if I have to, I will get a doctor there. I'm despret to get help, the state of mind I am in now, I am suprised I can even remember my own name.
Your help has been very appriciated.

Thank you so much.
Cat

Hi everyone,

I received my test results in the mail.

TSH, 3rd Generation 0.042
T4 Free 1.8
Tissue Transglutaminase IGG <3
Tissue Transglutaminase IGA <3
My Glucose Fasting test is 101 Border Line

The doctor recomends to lower the dose of Levothroid and changing to Armour would not be a good thing because Armour has more T3 in it and would make things worse. I am now taking 0.088mg of Levothroid.

Reading the other post on here, it looks like they don't realy look at the TSH when you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, is that correct? My doctor said I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis now, what is the differance between having hypothyroid and Hashimoto's or are they the same thing?

Thanks for your help
Cathy

1970 Migraine Head Aches
1978 Grand Mall Seizures
1998 Fibromyalgia
2000 Irritable Bowel
2004 Hypothyroidism
Oct 1st 2006 Gluten free

#15 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:45 AM

The doctor recomends to lower the dose of Levothroid and changing to Armour would not be a good thing because Armour has more T3 in it and would make things worse. I am now taking 0.088mg of Levothroid.

Reading the other post on here, it looks like they don't realy look at the TSH when you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, is that correct? My doctor said I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis now, what is the differance between having hypothyroid and Hashimoto's or are they the same thing?

Hashimotos is an autoimmune disease of your Thyroid. Its HypoThyroid but in an autoimmune way. Sometimes it even has symptoms of hyperthyroid - but that is just an acute flareup.

It means the TSH is virtually useless and not useful to dose by. All bets are off when you have Hashis. You have to dose to suppress the TSH as much as possible ( get it to 0) and reduce Antibodies to 0. If you don't do that - the Antibodies will keep attacking your Thyroid and killing it. They will eventually attack so much they cause Thyroid Cancer or just complete Thyroid failure.

Did your Dr test Antibodies again or is this the same test as before ( 757)

More T3 from Armour will not make you worse. It will make you better. Armour will suppress your TSH, get rid of your Antibodies and make you feel well - better than any other med. It is completely natural and as close to bio identical as our own Thyroids as possible. It replaces what your own Thyroid can't do. Some people use a synthetic T4/T3 combo - but most don't seem to get as good results as straight Armour.

Your current med isn't working - as you have Antibodies of 757. What more proof does this Dr need ? Sorry - you need a new Dr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: