This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Two Minute Microwave Hamburger Buns

hangininthere

hangininthere Apprentice

I wouldn't have believed this would make a perfect sandwich bread until I saw it with my own eyes! It's moist yet firm, not one bit crumbly, holds together like 'real' bread, ha! And it does not need to be toasted to taste right as with storebought gluten-free breads, no toasting necessary! I can finally have an untoasted 'regular' cold sandwich! So easy too! I'm amazed!

Hamburger Buns

Makes eight large size buns.

1/3 cup oil

1/2 cup clover honey

1 cup cottage cheese

3 eggs

2 cups rice flour (I use brown rice flour myself)

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons lemon peel (I leave out the lemon peel, expensive and I don't like the taste)

In blender, combine oil, honey, and cottage cheese.

Add eggs, one at a time, blend until mixture is fluffy. (My mixture didn't get fluffy, but bread turned out great anyway)

In separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.

Gradually add blender mixture to dry mixture. Mix well. The batter will be thick.

Spoon small amount of batter, about 1/3 or 1/2 cup, into ungreased glass bowls, ones with flat bottoms and fairly straight sides, the size you want your buns to be (I use my Corelleware cereal bowls, they make large buns like I want).

Cook in microwave one bowl at a time, with carousel to turn bowl, for 2 minutes on high. If no carousel in microwave, turn bowl after about 1 minute then continue cooking.

Cooking time will vary depending on your microwave, experiment to see the exact time.

Timing is crucial for the moistness and firmness of sandwich bread quality bun. Measure each bowl of batter exactly each time, and microwave to exact time each time for consistently moist yet firm bread.

The buns cool completely within about two minutes, so put each completed bun away in a bread bag or baggie immediately upon completion, so as not to dry out, as regular bread will do also when left out a few minutes.

Remove the bun from bowl immediately, while still hot, use a fork to poke around edges further and further down sides and under bun, and the bun will pop out of the bowl nicely. Cool less than a minute on rack, then slice through middle while still warm. Cool another minute or less, then wrap each cooled bun immediately in bread bag to keep it from drying out sitting around out.

These large size buns I make are so healthy and hearty. I make a sandwich and then cut the sandwich in half, for two hearty servings. I make a batch of sandwiches and keep wrapped on individual plates in fridge for a few days, for me and son to grab whenever we want, these buns for sandwiches hold well in fridge, don't become mushy from the fillings.

The first bun you cook, check it for doneness before the two minutes is up, because it has to be timed just right for maximum moistness so it doesn't overcook and turn out a little on the dry side.

You'll know it's done as soon as you see it's not 'liquidy' anymore. The second it's not 'batter like', it is done to perfection!

When tweaking your timing, it cooks fast, so if still a little undone, just a couple of seconds can make the difference between 'not quite done' and 'done'.

And it's better to check it while it's still undone, rather than find out it's overdone.

Once you've gotten your amount and timing figured out just right, it's a breeze to make these buns ever after!

Best wishes to all!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Unreal! Where on earth did you FIND this recipe???

I wonder if it would work in the oven (cooked longer, of course)--I like my breads "browned."

hangininthere Apprentice

I found this recipe on-line several months ago and just tried it this past week and it worked perfectly, couldn't believe it!

I thought I had thrown the recipe away, had deleted a bunch of recipes I'd found on-line and had e-mailed myself, then cleaned out my e-mails a couple of months ago thinking I wouldn't use them!

I thought I had written it down too, but I had thrown away a bunch of recipes I had written down too, thinking I wouldn't use them!

Well, when I decided I wanted to try these buns, I couldn't find the recipe, not in my e-mail or written down in recipe box or folder, nor on-line!

I hunted and hunted on-line for this recipe again, and couldn't find it for the life of me!

Then last week I found it written down in my recipe folder somehow when looking for another recipe, and was so glad, wanted to finally try it! Tried it this past Sunday and Monday, perfected the recipe, and made up some good sandwiches!

I can't for the life of me find it on-line again!

The recipe on-line had a typo or something, the time was way off, and the first bun I tried burnt to a hard black crisp while I was fiddling around in kitchen and not watching carefully, just waiting for microwave to ding! It filled the house with acrid stinky smoke and we opened the windows to clear it out and the whole house had that burned smell all day and through the night, yuk!

So I put the right timing on the recipe!

I don't think it would work in the oven, just the microwave on high.

Because I tried microwaving a bun for longer on medium setting in microwave instead of on high (because the original recipe on-line didn't say what setting for microwave!) and wondered if I could get the bun to rise even higher, and it didn't rise right at all. Just rises right on high setting!

Glad you mentioned browning it, I forgot to put in my original post above that it does not need toasted to taste better as with storebought rice breads! It's amazing! Finally, I can have an untoasted 'regular' cold sandwich! I added this above!

This bread is so much like 'real' bread that you can toast it in toaster, I tried it for butter and jelly toast and it turned out fine, except that it browned on one side in the toaster but not the other, I have a wide slot toaster and the slice leaned over on one side inside toaster slot. A good heavy firm yet moist bread that even holds up in the toaster, amazing!

Best wishes!

babygirl1234 Rookie

wow

ebrbetty Rising Star

sounds weird, makes me want to try it LOL, what brand of cottage cheese is gluten-free?

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I will definitely try this!

Hey, Hanginthere, by any chance are you from Pittsburgh?

hangininthere Apprentice

LOL!!!

Yes, I had been wary of trying cottage cheese in past months because all the ones I saw said 'natural flavors' if I'm remembering right, so was afraid to try it.

Then I happened to find some when I went shopping for the bun recipe, and it doesn't say 'natural flavors' on it.

Plus, you just now made me remember something important...this may be why the buns I made turned out and held together so well, will have to experiment and see, as the original recipe I found on-line just said cottage cheese (and had the timing all wrong, so it could be wrong about this too)...

At my Aldi's or Save-A-Lot discount grocery store, they had a different brand of cottage cheese than I ever noticed before, and it contains three different gums, xanthan gum, guar gum, and locust bean gum.

Now I'm wondering, was wondering from the git-go but forgot when I posted this recipe this morning, if it's the gums in this particular brand of cottage cheese that made the buns turn out good and moist yet firm, and rise right and hold together right, probably so.

I'll have to try this recipe with 'pure' (gumless) cottage cheese if I can find it made without the gums and no 'natural flavors' listed, to see if I've spoken too soon here, yikes!

Or you could throw a little gum in the recipe just in case, and see how it turns out, if you're used to using the gums in recipes! I haven't graduated to using gums in recipes, keep holding off, so expensive!

Well, the brand of cottage cheese I got is Coburn Farms at Aldi's or Save-A-Lot grocery store, forget which store.

I hope everybody has an Aldi's and Save-A-Lot they can get this particular brand of cottage cheese from, so the buns will turn out right like mine did! Or can throw some gum in with the recipe if they have some!

Before I knew to go gluten-free, I refused to buy cottage cheese that had added gums, but now gum is good, ha!

Shoot, wish I could edit the title of my topic post here and leave out the part about 'no gums needed', but can't edit titles on this site, just message, shoot!

That would be neat if it worked with pure gumless cottage cheese too, but I'm thinking maybe not. Will post update on that if I try recipe with pure cottage cheese instead.

Either way, this is still a good and healthy and easy recipe for great sandwich bread that doesn't even require toasting! Yayyy!!!

Best wishes All!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hangininthere Apprentice

No, I'm from Northeast Ohio, close! I added more info in my profile a few days ago, it's in there, haha!

Best wishes!

larry mac Enthusiast

hit,

A most unusual, yet interesting recipe. Must try soon as I get couple of glass bowls. Do you grease the bowls?

best regards, lm

hangininthere Apprentice

No, don't grease bowl. I'll edit and add that in recipe above, glad you mentioned it!

Just plop the small amount of batter into the bowl, then immediately after taking it out of microwave, gently poke with a fork around edges round and round and further and further down under until the bun pops right out nicely.

Yes, this is the easiest recipe yet for great sandwich bread, and doesn't need toasted, so amazing!

Best wishes!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I think I found the website. There seem to be a few gluten-free recipes.

Open Original Shared Link

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Wow...they do sound cool.

I would wonder about baking them, too, instead of microwaving. How "goopy" is the batter....you said thick...I'm wondering if you could kind of blob it out on a baking sheet and bake it? Hmmmm.

My Aldi doesn't have Coburn - it's called "Friendly Farms" but we LOVE their cottage cheese. Hmmmmm...I haven't had it since going Gluten free, though, so I don't know? Hmmmm....I'll have to check it.

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks again, I'll look at the cottege cheese's tomorrow when I shop..I like fitness and freebies, I get their online newsletter

hangininthere Apprentice

Hi All!

Great you found that site, thanks! BUT beware because it said bake 12 minutes, what is that? A typo? Only takes 2 minutes to bake! Otherwise it will burn to a black chunk, could be a fire hazard!!!

P.S. I read the recipe on that site and think I've figured out why they said 12 minutes. I think that must be the timing for putting all the bowls in the microwave and cooking all at once! But I'm just gonna cook one bowl/bun at a time, since it turned out well for me doing it that way! I wrote the recipe here the way I do it personally! Could try all at once like recipe on-line says, maybe I will try it sometime like that myself, that'd be even faster and easier yet!

P.S.S. Boy am I a ditz! Twelve bowls wouldn't all fit in a microwave at one time, no matter how little they were, hahahahahaha! I'm cooking them one bun at a time, ha! For two minutes each!

I highly suspect that these buns only turn out when cooked very fast on microwave high setting! But you can try in the oven and see, but I'm 99.9% sure it won't work in oven, because when I tried one bun on medium setting on microwave, it didn't rise like they do on high setting. I suspect they have to be cooked fast in microwave, and that in an oven it wouldn't cook fast enough to rise, just guessing!

Then it must have been Aldi's (discount store like Save-A-Lot) that had the kind I used! Do you have an Aldi's nearby?

I hope it works with any kind of cottage cheese, so that the buns turn out good like they did for me, and so I haven't spoken too soon!

The on-line recipe didn't specify cottage cheese with gums in the ingredients, so hopefully any cottage cheese will work well!

We'll see! Everyone give updates on how theirs turned out, and what kind of cottage cheese they used, whether the cottage cheese had gums added or not!

I'll try it with a different kind without gums too, to see, and give an update! Not going shopping til next week, it'll be a while before I do my update!

Since I don't have a deadly reaction to glutens (and soy), don't get so violently ill like my son does, I'm his 'King's Taste Tester' for any foods I'm experimenting with, such as 'natural flavors' listed on ingredient labels. I get sick for several days, but not violently.

Don't buy the apple pie filling from Aldi's though! It had wheat in it but didn't list anything but apples, corn starch, and the like, nothing about any added 'natural flavor' and good thing I tried it first before my son, even though I didn't suspect it, I was still afraid to serve it to my son before testing it myself, and good thing I tested it first, he would have gotten deathly ill!

So I'm gonna test the other cottage cheeses that have 'natural flavor' on the ingredients list, but no gums, to see if it works with this bun recipe. I'll take a big bite of the cottage cheese alone to test for reaction, before I waste the other ingredients if the 'natural flavor' is gluten (or soy, me and son get sick on soy too). Wish me luck, ha! And good luck to all who are trying this recipe, let me know how it works for you!

And good luck finding a gluten-free cottage cheese! This Coburn Farms cottage cheese I got at Aldi's checked out okay with me and son, thank God!

Best wishes to all!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Does it taste cottage cheesy? I hate cottage cheese, I think it's the texture, but it goes in a blender, so that should eliminate the icky texture, right?

larry mac Enthusiast

hit,

Had a dumb attact at the grocery store on the way home from work and got ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese. What's funny though, is both the "precious" brand, and the walmart brand ricotta cheeses have xanthan, locust bean, and guar gums listed in the ingredients.

Obviously, I didn't read the ingredients on cottage cheese. It probably has all three also, from what you said. Will try again tomorrow, need to make some more muffins tonight anyway, I'm out.

best regards, lm

hangininthere Apprentice

LOL!!! Don't tell me you get brain fog too, haha! Ain't it the pits when that happens!

Well, you can make some yummy lasagna with the ricotta, if you like it and pick up the rest of the ingredients for it at the store next time, ha!

That's good to hear that it had the gums just in case. You'll be all set. Hopefully the cottage cheese doesn't have 'natural flavor' on the ingredients too, though. Mine didn't, thankfully. And don't forget the bowls, ha.

About the buns tasting like cottage cheese, I'm such a heavy smoker that I don't know if the hamburger buns taste like cottage cheese or not, my taste buds and nose aren't working so good.

But I imagine if you don't like the taste of cottage cheese, you wouldn't like the taste of the buns, because I'm thinking it must have some taste of cottage cheese.

It does get liquified in the blender though, so none of that consistency. But the taste might just turn you off anyway.

I wouldn't even taste cottage cheese til I was in my late twenties! It looked so gross to me I wouldn't even taste it!

Then the first bite I finally tasted, I loved it and have loved it ever since!

Best wishes All!

larry mac Enthusiast
.....I wouldn't even taste cottage cheese til I was in my late twenties! It looked so gross to me I wouldn't even taste it! Then the first bite I finally tasted, I loved it and have loved it ever since.

hit,

I've got you beat; I'm 55 & have never tasted cottage cheese. Heck, I had never tasted yogurt until I started having stomach problems a couple years ago; I heard it was good for that. Not sure what would have happened if I hadn't of started with the "whips"; They're light and mild. I've since gone on & am eating other kinds now.

Same with buttermilk. I've used it for baking since forever, but have never tasted a drop. It's just a dumb mental thing I guess.

best regards, lm

hangininthere Apprentice

LOL!!! I hope you find you like cottage cheese! I've never tasted buttermilk, only in packaged processed buttermilk pancake mix before I went gluten-free, hahahaha.

I discovered yogurt late in life too, and love it so much I binge on it and have to not buy it on a regular basis or I'll eat up a case in one day! When I binge like that I even smell like yogurt, ha!

I take acidophilus pills every day, they have helped with many maladies, keep them in check! Acidophilus good for everyone!

Now the only yogurt I can have is the plain yogurt from Aldi's, all safe pure ingredients and no gums or anything extra, and then I add my own fruit or vanilla extract, and sugar, absolutely delicious.

I was so glad to read here somewhere that distilled alcohol is now officially a safe ingredient, didn't know that!

It has opened up a whole new world to me as far as me and my son can now have jarred pickles and relish and hot peppers. I couldn't find a pickling cucumber in town to make my own, and they're very expensive too. Also enjoying storebought mustard again instead of making my own, have to read the ingredients carefully as always though. The Giant Eagle brand Honey Dijon mustard checked out fine, been having that with my homemade mayo on our sandwiches.

Let me know how you like the hamburger buns. If you find you don't like the taste of cottage cheese or the buns, you always have the great recipe you discovered for your sandwich bread you posted, thank God!

Best wishes to all!

BFreeman Explorer
LOL!!! I hope you find you like cottage cheese! I've never tasted buttermilk, only in packaged processed buttermilk pancake mix before I went gluten-free, hahahaha.

I discovered yogurt late in life too, and love it so much I binge on it and have to not buy it on a regular basis or I'll eat up a case in one day! When I binge like that I even smell like yogurt, ha!

I take acidophilus pills every day, they have helped with many maladies, keep them in check! Acidophilus good for everyone!

Now the only yogurt I can have is the plain yogurt from Aldi's, all safe pure ingredients and no gums or anything extra, and then I add my own fruit or vanilla extract, and sugar, absolutely delicious.

I was so glad to read here somewhere that distilled alcohol is now officially a safe ingredient, didn't know that!

It has opened up a whole new world to me as far as me and my son can now have jarred pickles and relish and hot peppers. I couldn't find a pickling cucumber in town to make my own, and they're very expensive too. Also enjoying storebought mustard again instead of making my own, have to read the ingredients carefully as always though. The Giant Eagle brand Honey Dijon mustard checked out fine, been having that with my homemade mayo on our sandwiches.

Let me know how you like the hamburger buns. If you find you don't like the taste of cottage cheese or the buns, you always have the great recipe you discovered for your sandwich bread you posted, thank God!

Best wishes to all!

I didn't have any cottage cheese but did have ricotta because of the person who posted the idea of using it in pancakes (Thank You! They were SO good!) and I couldn't wait to try this recipe so I used the ricotta. I made just half in case they didn't work out (used 1 whole egg and one egg white). They were very good; go ahead and make them with the ricotta! (It's easier to find gluten free ricotta anyway.) I made husband a cheeseburger for dinner last night for the first time in ages. The bottoms were rounded and the tops flat, so I used the bottoms for buns and the tops to make Egg McMuffins this morning. The only thing was the brown rice kind of made for an icky color. I think I'm going to try them with Featherlight and see what happens. (I looked at this recipe and thought no way that would make decent bread; just goes to show you.......)

BF

hangininthere Apprentice

Wow! I'm so glad you liked them too! Glad to hear the ricotta cheese worked just as well!

I'd totally forgotten about having hamburgs, been so long, hahaha!

You'd think I'd have thought of hamburgers since I put 'hamburger bun recipe', but I've just been making turkey lunchmeat sandwiches and barbeque chip-chop ham sandwiches with it the same as I was doing with the storebought rice bread, except with the storebought we just had open-faced sandwiches, too much dried out or rubbery bread, but with these buns I've been making top and bottom layer of sandwich, a regular sandwich! My son didn't like hamburgs on that storebought, hahahahaha!

Glad you mentioned hamburgs, gonna make some soon! My son likes these microwave buns a lot! We've had open-faced egg sandwiches and BLT's on the storebought too, but so dry, will taste so much better on these buns!

The buns I made Sunday and Monday are holding up in the fridge well! I've had sandwiches made with them, ready to grab in the fridge, since Sunday and Monday, and the mayo and mustard hasn't made them mushy at all, and made up some fresh sandwiches today with the leftover buns in fridge, buns holding up fine after four and five days in fridge! Yayyyy!!!

The buns I made without the lemon peel are yellow colored, I guess from the eggs! And the buns I made with the lemon peel are brownish color!

I would have never believed this recipe could work until I saw it with my own eyes! Gonna try the pancakes with it soon too!

Best wishes to all!

newg Apprentice
LOL!!!

Yes, I had been wary of trying cottage cheese in past months because all the ones I saw said 'natural flavors' if I'm remembering right, so was afraid to try it.

Then I happened to find some when I went shopping for the bun recipe, and it doesn't say 'natural flavors' on it.

Plus, you just now made me remember something important...this may be why the buns I made turned out and held together so well, will have to experiment and see, as the original recipe I found on-line just said cottage cheese (and had the timing all wrong, so it could be wrong about this too)...

At my Aldi's or Save-A-Lot discount grocery store, they had a different brand of cottage cheese than I ever noticed before, and it contains three different gums, xanthan gum, guar gum, and locust bean gum.

Now I'm wondering, was wondering from the git-go but forgot when I posted this recipe this morning, if it's the gums in this particular brand of cottage cheese that made the buns turn out good and moist yet firm, and rise right and hold together right, probably so.

I'll have to try this recipe with 'pure' (gumless) cottage cheese if I can find it made without the gums and no 'natural flavors' listed, to see if I've spoken too soon here, yikes!

Or you could throw a little gum in the recipe just in case, and see how it turns out, if you're used to using the gums in recipes! I haven't graduated to using gums in recipes, keep holding off, so expensive!

Well, the brand of cottage cheese I got is Coburn Farms at Aldi's or Save-A-Lot grocery store, forget which store.

I hope everybody has an Aldi's and Save-A-Lot they can get this particular brand of cottage cheese from, so the buns will turn out right like mine did! Or can throw some gum in with the recipe if they have some!

Before I knew to go gluten-free, I refused to buy cottage cheese that had added gums, but now gum is good, ha!

Shoot, wish I could edit the title of my topic post here and leave out the part about 'no gums needed', but can't edit titles on this site, just message, shoot!

That would be neat if it worked with pure gumless cottage cheese too, but I'm thinking maybe not. Will post update on that if I try recipe with pure cottage cheese instead.

Either way, this is still a good and healthy and easy recipe for great sandwich bread that doesn't even require toasting! Yayyy!!!

Best wishes All!

I am making these buns over the weekend and I bought the cottage cheese today at Walmart. It was the Walmart brand (Great Value) and it says Gluten Free on the container. It was the lowfat kind in a pink container. It also contains Guar Gum and Locust Bean Gum...hope this helps! Gwen

Kaycee Collaborator

I think the reason the recipe does not need or use gums is because protein holds things together a bit like the gumes. I always put an egg into my bread mixes and they hold together real good.

Cathy

newg Apprentice

I made the buns today and they are great! I am going to make an egg salad sandwhich and take it to work on Monday!!!! They were so EASY to make and they taste good too! I am not a huge cottage cheese fan either and I don't taste it at all in the buns!! Thank you so much for this recipe!

Gwen :rolleyes:

Archived