This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Any One With This Symptom?

Curt

Curt Newbie

Hi,

I'm new to this board but have been gluten, dairy and egg free for almost 10 months now. Like a lot of you I have been to many doctors with gobs of tests all showing no problem. Blood work showed no gluten problem but Entero Labs showed gluten, dairy and egg positive. My question is I have a symptom that never seems to go away or if it does for only a short time and then comes back over and over again. Besides bloating my symptom is a very quick spasm or cramp or hard pinch just below my navel to the right. It varies in intensity to where it is hardly felt or can be quite painful like a charley horse but it is always just a split second long. I can have a hundred a day or I can have a couple. When I first went on the gluten free diet I felt pretty good for 2 months and then it all came back. Now it comes and goes to where I can have a good week or two and then 3 weeks from h*ll. I eat simple whole foods and eat the same thing everyday so I don't get "glutened" at all. Anybody out there have anything close to this?

Thanks,

Curt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Felidae Enthusiast

Could it be to another food intolerance such as soy? Also, it could be related to gas. Before I went gluten free I had many pains in my colon. I would get them in the "corners" of the colon. Basically your colon has three corners, one of them is not so much a corner, but more of a curve.

Anyway, I don't know if that made any sense at all. But, maybe you could keep a food journal and see if the pain changes with things that you eat, time of day and so on.

Curt Newbie
Could it be to another food intolerance such as soy? Also, it could be related to gas. Before I went gluten free I had many pains in my colon. I would get them in the "corners" of the colon. Basically your colon has three corners, one of them is not so much a corner, but more of a curve.

Anyway, I don't know if that made any sense at all. But, maybe you could keep a food journal and see if the pain changes with things that you eat, time of day and so on.

Hi Felidae,

Thanks for the reply. I don't eat soy so that's not an issue. I've been on food elimination diets before and it never seemed to matter. I've been eating EXACTLY the same foods every day now for over 6 months as I wanted to remove all variables. There seems to be no pattern as I can feel fine for a week or two and then it gets bad again without changing my diet at all. I suppose it could be related to gas but the spasm is in the same location everytime. It's weird.

Felidae Enthusiast

Well, your appendix is located in the lower right hand quadrant. But, if you have been having spasms for years, it shouldn't be your appendix because that needs to be an acute response.

I don't know, maybe by one year of gluten-free it will go away. It took me one year of being gluten-free to feel normal again.

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I don't have your symptoms, but when I read the description of the location of the pain/spasm, it made me think immediately of the ileocecal valve - which can sometimes get stuck closed, or open.

Here's a link to general info about this. This is not mainstream medical stuff, so take it for what it's worth.

Open Original Shared Link

Curt Newbie
Well, your appendix is located in the lower right hand quadrant. But, if you have been having spasms for years, it shouldn't be your appendix because that needs to be an acute response.

I don't know, maybe by one year of gluten-free it will go away. It took me one year of being gluten-free to feel normal again.

Yea, I'm hoping that my gluten-free diet will help over long term. It is encouraging to hear people say that it took a year or longer, means I still have hope! Thanks again.

Curt Newbie
I don't have your symptoms, but when I read the description of the location of the pain/spasm, it made me think immediately of the ileocecal valve - which can sometimes get stuck closed, or open.

Here's a link to general info about this. This is not mainstream medical stuff, so take it for what it's worth.

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks, I will check out the link.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived