This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Weight Loss Suppourt Thread (shannonl) And Any Others Who Want To Join

Guest AutumnE

Kaycee Collaborator

Viola,

I'm a old hand at the calories. You might be able to find a calorie counter on the net. But here they have dumped the calories and replaced it with kilojoules and they are about 4 times the number of calories, but I like calories, 1200 sounds better than 5000 kilojoules.

As for fruit, an average banana has about 95cals , apples about 50, plums 20. So I go for the biggest I can find and just count the average. Fruit is good for you. I know it is hard to figure out serving sizes, but I have a little set of scales and a calorie book. Prepared food is easier to guage as all the info is on the packets.

Mainly, I do a guess and that seems to be fine.

Funny, our bread here is about 90 calories a slice (but then I am going on gluten varieties), maybe the average serve for your Kinnikinnick bread is two slices not one. But gluten free bread seems to be heavier, well the one I make is.

There is no easy way to do it.

But then since I am an old hand, I should've got it right 30 years ago!

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mayflowers Contributor

What diet is everyone following? We could also list our weight loss or gain :o each week. So far I lose about a pound a week. I've lost 8 pounds so far...30 more to go... <_< (For my sisters in the UK, 13 kilos, and I'd like to weigh 10 stones)

I'm following Carbohydrate Addict's diet. A Tip: If you eat breakfast, eat protein like eggs or meat. You'll be much less hungry throughout the day. Eating grains triggers the insulin and makes you want to eat all day long.

The last time I was on CAD, I lost 25 pounds so I decided to go back on it.

Maybe this will help the soda drinkers: I just read that they did a study and people who drink soda on a regular basis have a 40% greater chance of getting cancer, most specifically, pancreatic cancer.

Soda raises the acid levels in the body by 57% every time you drink a soda. Cancer can exist only in an acidic environment, that's one of the reasons it's very good to drink green drinks and eat tons of vegetables and very little meat. (I find it hard to give up turkey and chicken...)

Kaycee Collaborator

I'm basically following a calorie counting diet, I have tried others, but if I can't see how much has gone in my mouth, I underestimate what I have eaten and eat more.

But I have reduced the carbs in my diet, like never before. I notice I am not so hungry, not sure about the energy levels, as I am still on holiday, but next week at work will be a test. But it seems to work for me, but I am trying not to have too much saturated fats, as hubby has just been told to reduce his cholestrol levels.

I am aiming to eat a bit of protein with each meal and I will definately not cut out the potato, it will stay there, but I am watching very carefully the amount of other carbs, especially breads and crackers. It is my own fashioned diet. I started off two years ago at 90kilos just counting caloreis and got down to 78kgs, had a rest while coming to terms with coeliac, but still watching the intake, and last Monday I weighted in at 81 kilos, so I have noput it all back on, and I will weigh in again tomorrow morning. It is looking to be a good week.

Cathy

lonewolf Collaborator

Hi Everyone - I had two really busy days in a row and am just getting on. I can't even remember what I ate for sure yesterday and today, but it was too much. Eating on the go usually means eating fast and too much. I started out well each morning - protein with a little applesauce (homemade, sugar-free) each day, but ended up eating too many carbs.

I really NEED to get on here everyday and check in.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

This thread is certainly an eye opener for me. I never thought about the fact that celiac disease makes our metabolism go haywire. I sit here and try to figure out why I haven't lost weight. The part about our bodies learning to survive on less food is something my sister has told me, yet it never connected in my head until I saw the word, metabolism! Now I realize, I have to retrain my metabolism. Now--HOW?????

I will be a challange for Lorka. I am gluten-free of course, and as of now, soy, corn, nightshade, some veggies, beef, pork, shellfish, and very possibly dairy. I think for now, exercise is going to be the answer. I used to have a gazelle, which worked very well for exercising. I was walking on it 30 mins a day, then my neuropathy progressed and I just could not take the pressure on my right foot. I have been told that yoga is great, not sure. Any suggestions?

emcmaster Collaborator
Emcmaster, that is a wonderful idea about one 2,000 calorie binge in a month, it sounds better than my once a week binge. Can this 2,000 cal binge be in one meal, or just no more than 2,000 for that day? I hope it is in one sitting, as I still have a bit of a binge personality. If I start eating chocolate, or crisps, they have to be finished, or else I worry about them till I have finished eating them. It is fatal for the scales and how I feel.

The binges once a month can neatly fit in with the celebrations that occur over the year, shucks that means even more planning! But I am already counting down the next food onslaught.

Happy eating everyone

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

Eating that much in a binge isn't exactly ideal... it's probably far from ideal, but I know that I will likely binge every month or so, so I might as well make sure it's not more than that. If you're satisfied by less calories, then it only helps to not eat that many. That's my goal: to work on making my binges smaller.

And sure, you could eat it all in one sitting or over a whole day. It's calorie intake vs. calories burned when it all comes down to it.

I would highly recommend Open Original Shared Link to anyone counting calories. You'll have to enter a fair amount of custom foods since we eat different foods than non-celiacs (i.e. Kinnikinnick bread, gluten-free pretzels, etc.), but it's a very accurate and easy way to keep track of your calories. It even has buttons to let you average the calories over a few days, a week, a month, whatever - very helpful in finding out how much you actually eat in any given week.

Elizabeth

Guest AutumnE

Hello Everyone! Im back, I skipped on the superbowl party tonight and stayed at home with my 3 year old, I cant eat anything there anyways, I dont care for football, dh will be watching tv and playing poker all night, no babysitter for my 3 year old and she would be bored so I was glad to stay at home. Yesterday was too busy so I didnt get much done. First I cleaned house yesterday, we did our taxes (were getting back way more than we knew! It will help with our vacation this summer down to pigeon forge tennessee), went to dh's mom and dad's, then we went to my mom and dad's. This morning I have been shopping and cooking. I still have to bake bread for the week though so hopefully I can fit in a little laundry and fit in 2 loaves for tonight. One wonderful thing was I weighed tonight and lost another 3 lbs!!! So its 83 lbs since last may! Im so excited! I would be soooo happy If I could lose an even hundred pounds by the end of june.

Eating was very small today and not very good of me-

Chicken and cauliflower with one peach, the problem is its over 8 1/2 hours. I have been way too busy to eat much today. I found out my water has been making me sick to my stomach for weeks. I have a pur filter and it has been making me sick so I bought spring water today in hopes that it will make it better. I dont think it has gluten in it but it may have corn so Im not sure yet why I get sick from it.

I have two pomegranates calling my name :D so I will probably will eat that with a chicken wrap tonight. I was thinking some avocado "french fries" would be tasty with it. Plus Ashley loves them. I only had about 10 ozs of water in today with my morning meds so I need to drink quite a bit throughout the night to try and make up and I might get close to goal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

emcmaster Collaborator

Autumn, make sure you're eating enough! Too little and your body will start to conserve fat, even though the scale might say you're losing. Be careful!!! :)

Guest AutumnE

Now for personals :), I was booted off the internet stupid dial up! <_< I had to retype.

Elizabeth- Welcome! I see your a chocolate fan :) You would fit in well with my family:) Im glad your able to expand your diet now. I have to restrict alot of things now so I have very little variety in my diet. Good dieting, the chicken/garlic/cumin/ lime mix sounds great! Im having a difficult time getting in enough calories it feels like Im constantly eating some days.

Regarding the lara bar splurge,I was very hungry and waited to long to eat. The only protein I can have right now is hamburger, chicken and turkey with fish occasionally. So I get sick of it even though with pcos I should always balance it. I was craving sweets and right now I'm really limited on what I can eat. I am struggling with my food boring phase.

Cathy- that was a great eating day! It looked sooo tasty with all the fruit, Im fruit limited so I was drooling at the mouth lol! Summer is much better for me with dieting but Im trying to get out and pull my daughter around in the sled in our yard and mall walking with her in the mornings which is keeping me going. She loves it! Have you talked to a gi dr regarding his problems? Mine was easily diagnosed with just a fasting and an u/s. I noticed mine also caused me to have pain in my chest and back. I wasnt sure if it was my heart or an asthma attack and it turned out to be my gall bladder. I was close to going to the ER but my stubbournness didnt allow it LOL. I enjoy taking care of people but I hate going to the dr's for myself.

Shirley-Hello glad you could join us! I dont do sandwich breads anymore. Too many carbs and calories plus grains seem to bother me still. I wrap my sandwich in lettuce its tasty and basically all protein. A corn tortilla could also work for you. I love fit day! I have had an account for years its nice to be able to calculate everything to keep an eye on an overall of things regarding cheats and what seems to bring them on and what my average is it motivates me to do better. I dont really do calories anymore but I love fit day. I always gave myself a little extra room for more calories in case I misjudged something.

Mayflowers- Hello and welcome! Im not really following a specific diet, its more my intolerances which I avoid. Basically I cant eat corn, potatoes, tomatoes, gluten, apples, oranges, bananas, berries of any kind, melons of any kind, Im limited to nuts that are shelled except peanuts, no juices due to mold allergy, no peas, no dairy, grapes, no grains including rice, and no soy, no pork, artificial sweeteners, roast, legumes,no processed foods or ham. So it leaves with not much options for food. So not really a huge need for counting calories as my only treat food is lara bars which I limit myself due to cost. I'm only drinking virgil's root beer which is a natural root beer so Im not sure if the acid would be the same.

I do try and link protein since I have insulin balance problems.

Liz- Hello! I use to have the same problem, carbs were a convienence food to me so I would tend to eat them when I was too busy to eat. I would start out with good intentions but it would all go by the end of the day.

Deb- Hello! I havent done yoga in years, I use to love tai chi when I was younger. Have you tried swimming? If you dont have a gym membership schools are usually open during the winter for open swim. We try to go once every two weeks and its $2 a person so totally affordable. Or maybe an exercise bike for indoor use? I avoid alot of those things too except for beef.

lonewolf Collaborator

Well, here I am trying to keep up my will-power. We're short on money, so all we have in the house is carbs, so I've been trying to just limit my portions. Tomorrow is payday, so I'll be able to go shopping for some meat. Here's what I've eaten so far today:

B- 3 small (2-1/2") pancakes with about 1 Tbs. raspberry jam

S - 3 canned pear halves

L - about 3/4 C arborio rice cooked in chicken broth, 4 dried plums

S - banana

D - will be snacks while we're watching the 2nd half of the game: carrot sticks, apple slices, water chestnuts wrapped in turkey bacon, a few chips and salsa.

Since there's nothing else in the house to eat, I think I'm safe from overeating today.

Guest AutumnE

Liz- We are on a very tight budget also and my dh doesnt eat the same foods that I do or my daughter. They love gluten free soups, breads and pasta so essentially I buy 2 different types of foods. Thankfully my daughter loves salad and veggies as much as me but she has a tendency to eat all the fruit before the week is up so I skimp here and there to make sure she has enough to last :) Thankfully its tax refund time now so we can be a bit more flexible with groceries. I love water chestnuts and bacon. I'll have to try and find a bacon that is corn free and gluten free.

Viola 1 Rookie

Hi all; it seems I can only get on here once a day now, too many things on the go.

I book marked "Fit Day", will check it out hopefully this evening. Thank you so much for the link!

I haven't really concentrated on any type of a diet. For my first 55 years I have tried hard to gain weight, then for the next 3 years I was just right, it's only the last 2 1/2 years that I've actually thought that I could loose a few pounds, but after all these years of trying to gain, I've really got into some bad habits ... like eating too much good stuff. :rolleyes:

Right now I eat everything, just trying to cut portions, and not cut out carbs or fat or anything like that. Fresh fruit and veggies at this time of year, are only in the house right after shopping day. We only shop once a month for groceries as neither my hubby or I like going into town (50 minute drive) and the tiny stores out here are much too expensive.

However in the summer it's all over the place, fruit in the orchard and veggies in the garden. So I have an easier time then, also I'm more physically active in the summer with the gardens, dog training and golfing. Now we just walk the dog every day and that's it pretty much.

There's no gym or yoga or anything like that out here, even if we could afford to join ... which is out. I've heard something called "curves" is fairly inexpensive, but not if you add the cost of gas every day, or every second day. So, will just stick with using Sheba as my main exercise personal trainer. She works for dog treats :lol: Not too many though or she will need a diet too.

emcmaster Collaborator

Autumn, so sorry to hear you are limited on your food choices. :( I'm limited now as well, as I feel I need to go back to being low-fat and no dairy in case that is the reason I've been sick for the past month.

Shirley, I'm pretty sure you can get in just as good of a workout walking your dog and maybe doing a few strength training videos at home. I prefer to workout at home or outside than going to a gym.

Food today - a pretty horrible example, as I'm feeling pretty sick, but here we go...

dora the explorer cereal with soymilk, 2 kinnikinnick english muffins with a little low-sugar jam

skittles :blink:

fruit salad, more dora cereal with soymilk, 1 dark chocolate square

About 1475 right now (too low!), but if I can manage to eat an apple before bed we'll be around 1550.

Kaycee Collaborator

Forgot to write in what I ate yesterday, but I actually ate some gluten free bread, chock full of carbs and topped with cottage cheese. It was nice, but I think I will wait a few more days for the next slice of bread. I have got quite a freezer full of gluten free tidbits, like muffins, pancakes that do need to be eaten, but not today, they will keep.

Elizabeth, about a big blow out day, it was a bit tongue in cheek, I will try not to eat everything at once, being gluten free has taught me not to be such a pig, actually I could not eat half as much as I used to in one sitting. I think it will be more of a bottle of wine, with crisps, a good Friday night. Have not had chocolate for a little while, I don't really miss it, but if I am in the right aisle at the supermarket and it has my favourite little bar, Flake, I will sidle up to it and put one in my trolley. Thankfully not all aisles have this treat in them.

Weigh in day, I have lost a kilo this week, it feels good, now tip scales at 80 kgs. Wonderful

B: stewed apple and yoghurt

L: Big salad with canned salmon, peach, plums, apricot and banana

T: Handful of oven baked potato chips, 2 sausages (Bad, but nice and easy tea, as been out all day) Stewed apple and custard. (don't usually have dessert, but there have been calories still needing to be eaten)

Not too many calories, probably around 1500.

I've been stewing some fresh fruit to eat with my yoghurt. Tonight I've got peaches on the go. Yum.

I should try to cut back down on the fruit and eat more carrots!

Not much exercise today, been out and about working in a volunteer capacity at a local library this morning, then across to the other coast, (only takes an hour to get from this east coast to the west by car) this afternoon to deliver some battens on the farm, then back in time for tea.

Last day of holiday tomorrow and then back to the dreaded work, six weeks has just gone so quickly.

Cathy

Mayflowers Contributor
Well, here I am trying to keep up my will-power. We're short on money, so all we have in the house is carbs, so I've been trying to just limit my portions. Tomorrow is payday, so I'll be able to go shopping for some meat. Here's what I've eaten so far today:

B- 3 small (2-1/2") pancakes with about 1 Tbs. raspberry jam

S - 3 canned pear halves

L - about 3/4 C arborio rice cooked in chicken broth, 4 dried plums

S - banana

D - will be snacks while we're watching the 2nd half of the game: carrot sticks, apple slices, water chestnuts wrapped in turkey bacon, a few chips and salsa.

Since there's nothing else in the house to eat, I think I'm safe from overeating today.

I buy alot of chicken, turkey and hamburger meat. ALOT of hamburger meat. It's cheap and makes different meals. Also tofu is cheap and is low carb.

Viola 1 Rookie

I made a huge pot of stew yesterday. It had beef (lean) potatoes, carrots, green beans, peas, onions, mushrooms, cellery, garlic and spices of course. It was thickened slightly with potato flour.

How on earth would you put a callorie count on that? Just had a slice of Glutino bun with it.

Guest AutumnE

Elizabeth- I hope you feel better soon, focus on getting well first then dieting.

Cathy- I know what you mean about going back to work after a long vacation.Congratulations on the weight loss!

Mayflowers- I buy alot of hamburger too, its the one meat I get that isnt kosher. It helps keep costs low for me with my protein.

Shirley- Unless you can judge just how much veggies you put in you wouldnt be able to. But I make a soup and I estimated it between 250 to 300 calories a cup with similar ingredients though I dont know how many of each veggies you put into it.

Guest AutumnE

Breakfast- a lara bar and a nectarine, with 2 boiled eggs.

Lunch- Chicken salad with broccoli

Dinner- Turkey burgers(wrapped in lettuce), carrots, pomegranate

Kind of lite eating today, Im getting cabin fever with all the cold which makes me not want to eat. Today's high was 3 degrees with windchill at -25 degrees. I did go out once though, My daughter wanted to play in the snow so I brought buckets full of snow in our bathtub for her to play with lol! She loved it and it helped break up the day.

I bought spring water and for once I didnt get nauseous from drinking water Yeah!

Guest ShannonL

Hey all. This thread is really helping! Today I was looking for a snack and thought about having to type some junk on here!! LOL

B-rice cereal and milk

L-chicken wings (leftover from Superbowl)

S-2 rice cakes with peanut butter

D-grilled chicken, rice and peas (only ate 1/2) Not feeling too hungry.

I am going to spend the rest of the week focusing on eating well. I have to grocery shop!!

Next week I will focus on physical fitness.

I LOVE reading all of your info. Thanks! I would reply individually but I am soooo sleep deprived. My 13month old is sick and up all night wheezing. I have to give her breathing treatments and it eally wakes me up! Not like a 1/2 asleep feeding LOL.

Shannon

Guest AutumnE

I hope she feels better soon, it just breaks my heart when little ones are sick.

This thread keeps me good too! Its hard to cheat when you have to announce it to everyone later on LOL!

lonewolf Collaborator
I buy alot of chicken, turkey and hamburger meat. ALOT of hamburger meat. It's cheap and makes different meals. Also tofu is cheap and is low carb.

Yeah, I buy a LOT of chicken and turkey. We don't eat much red meat (makes my psoriasis break out and my teen age girls won't eat it) and even hamburger is more expensive here than chicken or ground turkey. I use ground turkey in everything that most people use hamburger in. I can sometimes get it on sale for as little as $1/pound. I stock up on chicken when it's on sale. I like organic and free range, but it's not really possible to eat that way all the time when you have 4 kids and are on a budget. And tofu would probably kill me - it's WAY worse for me than gluten.

Silly me, here I was eating all those carbs when I realized we have some venison and salmon in the freezer. (Hubby's family likes to hunt and fish, and can't eat all of it so they share.) My girls are picky and won't eat the venison and one won't eat salmon, but I made both tonight so I'll have leftovers for lunches for hubby and me tomorrow. (The one daughter made herself an omelette.) And I'll be eating salmon for snacks for a while too - we didn't even eat half of it.

B- 1/2 slice of turkey bacon, 1/2 C applesauce with some chopped almonds

L- apple, large handful of raw almonds, handful of rice "Crunch'ems"

S - apple, 1/2 banana

D- about 3 oz venison, 2 small potatoes (1-1/2"?), large carrot, onion pieces - all in stew, 3 bites of salmon, 3 slices of yam (3/4 " slices), a few bites of lettuce with no dressing

Thinking about having to write this down saved me from eating more and baking cookies! It's good to have the accountability.

It would be nice to be able to eat eggs and dairy - especially for breakfast. That's the hardest meal for me to get protein at without having to buy something like sausage, which gets expensive for 6.

Kaycee Collaborator

Autumne, hamburger meat, is that what we call mince here? Well I buy minced (ground) up beef and put just 100% minced meat into a tupperware hamburger maker, freeze it and when I want something to go with tea, wait for it, I fry it with a bit of oil! Well I did used to do that, but now on a diet, will have to re-look at that. But a little bit of oil in a non-stick frypan is not too bad.

I have used minced pork, and mutton as well, but have not tried chicken. The surprising thing is that the meat holds together when frying, and I guess I will have to try grilling it. I was a bit reluctant to try it in case it would all fall apart, but you don't need egg or crumbs to keep it together.

We do not seem to get ground turkey here. We don't eat much turkey in NZ at all, unless it is Christmas time.

Shirley, as for counting calories, , if it is vegetables, I don't count the calories, a bit like weight watchers. But I do count potatoes, corn, lentils, rice and calorie dense beans. I feel if I don't have to worry about counting the calories in veges, I might eat more of them. I do count calories in the fruit! As for a soup or stew I just estimate how many, and make sure I take it easy on heavy loaded calorie foods.

Was watching Oprah today and she keeps saying avoid white food, such as flour, which we do, potatoes, rice, sugar, as they are either are too highly refined and loaded with too many carbohydrates. She once mentioned a few years back, before I even had need to know, that the less white flour and sugar you eat, possibly the easier it will be going through menopause. I so hope so, as it is fast approaching for me.

Yes Shannon, this thread is really helping, it makes me accountable to others in what I eat! And it does not matter what diet we are using, I feel we are all in this together.

Must go, got to cook tea.

Cathy

Mayflowers Contributor
Autumne, hamburger meat, is that what we call mince here? Well I buy minced (ground) up beef and put just 100% minced meat into a tupperware hamburger maker, freeze it and when I want something to go with tea, wait for it, I fry it with a bit of oil! Well I did used to do that, but now on a diet, will have to re-look at that. But a little bit of oil in a non-stick frypan is not too bad.

I have used minced pork, and mutton as well, but have not tried chicken. The surprising thing is that the meat holds together when frying, and I guess I will have to try grilling it. I was a bit reluctant to try it in case it would all fall apart, but you don't need egg or crumbs to keep it together.

We do not seem to get ground turkey here. We don't eat much turkey in NZ at all, unless it is Christmas time.

Shirley, as for counting calories, , if it is vegetables, I don't count the calories, a bit like weight watchers. But I do count potatoes, corn, lentils, rice and calorie dense beans. I feel if I don't have to worry about counting the calories in veges, I might eat more of them. I do count calories in the fruit! As for a soup or stew I just estimate how many, and make sure I take it easy on heavy loaded calorie foods.

Was watching Oprah today and she keeps saying avoid white food, such as flour, which we do, potatoes, rice, sugar, as they are either are too highly refined and loaded with too many carbohydrates. She once mentioned a few years back, before I even had need to know, that the less white flour and sugar you eat, possibly the easier it will be going through menopause. I so hope so, as it is fast approaching for me.

Yes Shannon, this thread is really helping, it makes me accountable to others in what I eat! And it does not matter what diet we are using, I feel we are all in this together.

Must go, got to cook tea.

Cathy

Oh, Kaycee I didn't know you were from New Zealand?! Cool. My favorite actress is Lucy Lawless!

I hope she makes a Xena movie!! On my plan, I eat whatever I want for one meal a day and the other two meals are low carb.

Viola 1 Rookie

Okay, I haven't had enough time in the Fit Day web site yet to figure out callories, but I'm probably up today for sure.

I had B bowl of Nature path mixed grain flakes (gluten-free) with skim milk

L Two french toast with syrup (Probably big callories) :(

S will be micro popcorn lt. (I think I practicly live on popcorn (I suppose that would be high carbs)

D will be left over stew

And of course evening I will have my normal glass of wine, and sometimes an orange, banana or handful of smarties for snack. :lol:

Guest ShannonL

Hey all! Everyone seems to be doing so good. I wanted to tell you about sparkpeople.com. It is awesome and FREE. It is great calorie counter PLUS fitness and goal setting. I forgot about it till today. I am headed there after here.

Viola: I love popcorn. It has a lot of fiber so maybe that helps balance the carbs ;)

As for my meals today...

B-Banana

L-chicken, brocolli and potato soup

S-Banana and some almonds

D- made gluten-free penne with vodka sauce, mushrooms and broccoli. Once I ate a bite I didnt want it!

S-I am getting ready to have a bowl of lofat ice cream!! Yummy

Wow I was under calories for a change!

Archived