This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dang It's Cold!

Confused in Iowa

Confused in Iowa Rookie

I hope other people are FREEZING like we are here in Iowa......You know I love living in Iowa and would never live anywhere else, but right at this moment....this STINKS......It's a whopping "0" right now and wind chills are expected to be 20+ below tonight.

I've determined we are sick people here, because yesterday it got up to 15 degrees and it actually felt warm out!

And that darn ground hog I heard saw his shadow......so 6 more weeks of this! ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

PeggyV Apprentice
I hope other people are FREEZING like we are here in Iowa......You know I love living in Iowa and would never live anywhere else, but right at this moment....this STINKS......It's a whopping "0" right now and wind chills are expected to be 20+ below tonight.

I've determined we are sick people here, because yesterday it got up to 15 degrees and it actually felt warm out!

And that darn ground hog I heard saw his shadow......so 6 more weeks of this! ;)

Your in luck, he didnt see his shadow! Open Original Shared Link

I'm in houston and it 44. We complain because there is no sun and for us it is cold....guess you would be in shorts.

Take care,

Peggy

Ashley Enthusiast

Whew, I thought we had it cold. Highs in the 30s and lows in the teens. I had to run out and start the car for my mom (who's busy making wedding cakes, running back and forward) in my shorts. I will not do that again. :blink: The winds are so painful, I couldn't imagine them in zero degree weather.

jerseyangel Proficient

We will hit 40 today (in Jersey) but it's going to get colder over the weekend and the highs for Monday and Tuesday are like 16 and 19! Way under the average for this time of year. Br-r-r :D

kbtoyssni Contributor

I'm surprised the groundhog didn't freeze coming out of his hole. It was -5 plus wind when I left for work this morning, and it's getting colder!

missy'smom Collaborator

Hey Iowa,

Yesterday they had a two hour late start where I live, for a 1/2 inch of snow. First time this year that it actually stayed on the ground. I was in shock. I started telling my son, who has never experienced a real winter, all the "when I was little" stories. I grew up in Nebraska and Iowa so I KNOW how it is there. We used to ride a bus to the next town, on farm roads when it was snowing like mad outside and feet of snow on the ground. I remember noting each farm house we passed so I'd know where to walk to if we got stuck.

Confused in Iowa Rookie

I think the ground hog lies anyway!!!!!!!! I know I'm ready to do some complaining about 100+ degree heat........Oh yeh, when it gets to be 30 or 40 around here we are in shorts!!!!!! It becomes a tropical paradise!!!!!!

Don't you love those stories you tell your kids about when you were little!!!! I never forget my dad telling me about walking the dreaded 5 miles (up hill both ways and no decent shoes!)....but he was lucky cuz he had a horse that they could ride to school and then the horse would walk back home. I try not to do that to my kids, but I sure do find myself telling stories about my childhood....My kids just cannot believe that I only had like 5 tv stations to watch AND the only video type game we had was playing this black and white table tennis game........I can't believe I survived!!!! Actually I wish it was still that way at times!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator
Don't you love those stories you tell your kids about when you were little!!!! I try not to do that to my kids, but I sure do find myself telling stories about my childhood....My kids just cannot believe that I only had like 5 tv stations to watch AND the only video type game we had was playing this black and white table tennis game........I can't believe I survived!!!! Actually I wish it was still that way at times!!!

:lol::lol::lol: I had forgotten this. We had only 5 stations too! It is a new world. You and I must be of the same generation. I'll have to pull out that story when my son complains about the limitation I put on TV and video games. I vowed I would never tell the stories. My parents were, and still are, really bad about it but I find myself doing it anyway.

azmom Newbie

I grew up in central Iowa, but now live in Tucson and have become a major wienie. I can't take the cold..I'm sitting here in my warm sweater and jeans, cuz it only got up to 57 today! Last week, we actually got a couple of inches of snow and my kids were in high heaven! School was actually delayed because the icy roads made the city close most of the bridges and we don't have salt trucks. Whose ever heard of a snow day in Tucson? I emailed pics to my friends and family in Iowa..their response was..."You call that snow?"

One of these days, I'll take the kids to Iowa in the winter for a real snow...yeah, one of these days... :rolleyes:

Here's wishing you warmer days!

missy'smom Collaborator
One of these days, I'll take the kids to Iowa in the winter for a real snow...yeah, one of these days... :rolleyes:

I've said that too. LOL

Michi8 Contributor
:lol::lol::lol: I had forgotten this. We had only 5 stations too! It is a new world. You and I must be of the same generation. I'll have to pull out that story when my son complains about the limitation I put on TV and video games. I vowed I would never tell the stories. My parents were, and still are, really bad about it but I find myself doing it anyway.

5 stations would have been luxury! LOL! We had 3 stations and a black and white TV!

We have to tell the stories to our kids though, it's an inter-generational tradition. With all the gadgets and luxuries kids have now, can you imagine what stories they'll be able to tell their kids?

Michelle

who lives in the land where's there's almost 6 months of ice, snow and frigid temperatures. BRRRR

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Wow, we only had 3 stations, when I was a kid. And I remember those learning kids programs. We only had one of them and one comic series, that was it. And that comic-thingy mostly came on Sundays. The rest was for adults, so we naturally didn't spend that much time in front of a TV. Then, when I turned 13 I remember I got an Atari play computer, that you could hook up to the TV. That was pretty much it! Until I bought myself my own first real computer, when I started my apprenticeship and earning my own money. My parents never could afford anything fancy. Yeah, those were the days and it isn't even that long ago :blink: . It was in 1989, when I was 13. So the times have changed tremendously in an insane pace. :unsure: Oh, and about the snow. Yes, yes, we had quite a bit of snow every year. I remember we could ski on the little slopes in our backyard, we had so much of it. Nowadays, you have to drive 1-2 hours, until you hit the mountains.

Hugs, Stef

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

By the way, it's supposed to be like 6 or 7 tomorrow here in PA, where I live. I'm only leaving the house with two pants and two sweaters on :blink: .

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Don't feel bad in PA it is in the single digits and the wind chill puts us in the -'s. I have two blankets on and our thermostat is reading 72 but I still feel cold. I dread the morning walk to work from the parking lot to the hospital.....No skirts for me tomorrow :)

By the way, it's supposed to be like 6 or 7 tomorrow here in PA, where I live. I'm only leaving the house with two pants and two sweaters on :blink: .

Stef-we are in the same area, I am in Harrisburg. Small world

linds Apprentice

I wish that it was going to be 6 or 7 here tomorrow! Right now it is -29 with a windchill of -45 and it is supposed to be about that cold in the morning when i get up. If it is going to be cold we should at least be able to have a bunch of snow which we don't.

No snow here either...just cold, cold, and more cold. I am about ready to give up hope on snow for this year....:(

Confused in Iowa Rookie
No snow here either...just cold, cold, and more cold. I am about ready to give up hope on snow for this year....:(

Archived