This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hello From Newly Diagnosed Author/artist

AllysonBrightMeyer

AllysonBrightMeyer Rookie

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you for all the advice and conversation here. I have been "lurking" since November, when I first started to suspect that I might have celiac. All of the posts here have been really helpful for me. I was finally diagnosed on January 12, and have now been gluten-free for the last 3 weeks. I have already been feeling better, though I am still struggling with fatigue (we are now waiting on thyroid tests also).

I had been hesistant to post here, as if doing so would make the diagnosis "real." I've been in better spirits about it, though, for the past week or so and am ready to move forward and be happy to be feeling better.

So, I just wanted to say hello, I'm sure I'll be posting more (still have lots of questions and such) as I move forward into gluten-free life!

A little about me, if interested: I'm a scrapbook artist living in Iowa City, Iowa. I'm also the author of 2 books on crafting for the "Complete Idiot's Guide" series. I recently made a scrapbook page about my celiac diagnosis and "announced" the news to my readers, which was hard but I'm glad I did it.

Sorry to drag on for so long, just wanted to say thanks for all of the help and support you provide here. I'm looking forward to becoming part of the community.

-Allyson

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast

Open Original Shared Link

Do not promote your own business, Web site or products--even if they offer free services. The proper place to post your Web site, business or other services is in your profile, not in your signature block or in posts.
larry mac Enthusiast

Hi abm,

Welcome to the forum from another recent newcomer. lm

zansu Rookie

Welcome, Allyson!

Okay, so a lot of people brought it to my attention that having website links in my post was against the rules. I am so sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone or break the rules....I just thought it would help me "introduce" myself.

I've taken all links out of my posts.

(Going back to lurking now).

So Sorry everyone!

-A.

Michi8 Contributor

Welcome, Allyson! Please don't go back to just lurking!

Michelle

Thanks Michelle, I won't!

I just got a bit emotional about the whole thing, and was feeling like I just needed to run away & hide...sometimes I get a bit like that, particularly relating to anything about my celiac.

I have just been having a really hard time with my diagnosis, so whenever ANYTHING (even silly little things) happen, I get really emotional & upset, and feel frustrated....well, I'm sure you guys know how that is at the beginning of diagnosis.

So I apologize to everyone again about the whole "advertising" thing - although I was just trying to give people a bit more info. Anyway, I know the rules now, so there are no worries there.

Thanks again for those of you who have sent kind words - I am happy to have the support.

-A.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Allyson:

I apologize for the abruptness of some. Although the promotion of personal websites are discouraged, I am sure that it was just an oversight on your part.

Since you have been lurking here since November, you know how kind and helpful the people on the Board are and their knowledge is vast.

I would like to encourage you to join us again. Going gluten free is very hard to do when you are standing in a room all by yourself.

Please join us.

Lisa

PS: There are many scrapbookers here!!

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Hi Allyson,

I will send a welcome to you also. :) Please stick around, it really is bewildering to get this diagnosis and support/information is crucial. We'll try to answer any questions you may have. Glad you're feeling better.

blessings -

Creative-Soul Newbie

Welcome, Allyson!

Glad that you've decided to join us; you will find much support and lots of good information here!

Slackermommy Rookie

I am a new member too...just dx'ed this week.

Welcome. :)

gfp Enthusiast
Okay, so a lot of people brought it to my attention that having website links in my post was against the rules. I am so sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone or break the rules....I just thought it would help me "introduce" myself.

I've taken all links out of my posts.

(Going back to lurking now).

So Sorry everyone!

-A.

I'm just drawing it to your attention before you get told off ... I understand your reasons for posting... its just one of those quirky things on this board...

(personally I'd post more if the rule didn't exist since I get tired of retyping the same things but that's just the way it is :( )

rez Apprentice

I'm from Bettendorf. Did you see a gastro at the U of I. Were they good? Welcome.

Mtndog Collaborator
Welcome, Allyson! Please don't go back to just lurking!

Michelle

Welcome Allyson- don't worry about it! And don't go back to lurking! This is a good place and I think gfp just wanted to warn you before other people jumped on you (looks like that happened anyway).

We're glad you're here and ASK AWAY

Michi8- that has GOT to be the funniest avatar I have ever seen! Where can I get it? Will they make one I can paste to my head? :P Or place on my back.

JayT Rookie

Hi Allyson,

Yeah I have been 'scoled' on here too for advertising. It's hard not to put your site up as a link when you have information that you think might help people. But I get it, if the forum did allow that, then the entire place would just be one big spam center. So although I thought it was harsh when it happed to me, I now understand and just play by the rules. Don't think that you were the first :-). Welcome!

-Jay

Viola 1 Rookie
Michi8- that has GOT to be the funniest avatar I have ever seen! Where can I get it? Will they make one I can paste to my head? :P Or place on my back.

Welcome Allyson, I hope you stay with us for a long time. This board is very helpful and kind. Most also have an awesome sense of humour which gets us through the tough times. :P

Michi8...I also love your avatar! :lol:

Michi8 Contributor
Welcome Allyson- don't worry about it! And don't go back to lurking! This is a good place and I think gfp just wanted to warn you before other people jumped on you (looks like that happened anyway).

We're glad you're here and ASK AWAY

:lol: I found it on another forum I frequent. There is some pretty funny stuff out there if you search around...I just copied it onto my computer and then pasted it in here.

I need one of these signs on my forehead to remind my DH during the times of the month when I have a very short fuse. He just doesn't pick up on the other "subtle" clues like, "I'm warning you ahead of time...stay clear of me today, I'm not dealing well with stress." (Or something to that effect.) ;)

Michelle

mamabear Explorer

Hi Allyson.

I have been a member about as long as you had been "lurking"......and there are 1210 members between us! That's a lot of "official"members, and doesn't count everyone else! I have found that most everyone here is kind,thoughtful and very passionate about celiac disease. You will find a sympathetic ear on the board and don't be bashful about chiming in. It is a wonderfully diverse group with a common goal. Welcome.

gfp Enthusiast
Hi Allyson,

Yeah I have been 'scoled' on here too for advertising. It's hard not to put your site up as a link when you have information that you think might help people. But I get it, if the forum did allow that, then the entire place would just be one big spam center. So although I thought it was harsh when it happed to me, I now understand and just play by the rules. Don't think that you were the first :-). Welcome!

-Jay

Yep, this is why I don't post very often....

The fact is I'm not interested in "advertising", neither was Allyson but those are the rules....

The rules changed to allow links in our sigs but that doesn't interest me because the reason I want to post the link is because I have information to share, pure and simple. That information is indexed and linked... so to simply copy/paste isn't a big help...

Secondly, as Allyson said it is simply an expression of who I am.

Aerin328 Apprentice

Allyson,

Again, welcome!

In your initial post you commented that you are still fatigued. I have found, and have read posts and replies from other people who have found, that fatigue and brain fog seem to be the *last* symptoms to retreat. In fact the immune reaction can continue as long as 1-2 years after going gluten-free b/c the antibodies remain in the blood. I myself found that digestive issues vanished within 6 weeks or so, but after 7 months of being gluten-free I still struggle with brain fog, though it is slowly lifting. Patience must be our mantra!

Anyway, welcome to the board, and lose not hope in the health skirmish ahead. You have taken the first and hardest steps to freedom.

Christian

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hi Allison,

welcome to our board. It already happened to me too. I think, it was even on this board. I'm in so many boards, I can't even remember it anymore. I have the same problem. I know of a lot of things, that celiacs could do around here, but I'm not allowed to post it, since I'm the host :P . So I'm shutting up. It's kinda sad though. Well, never mind. What I actually wanted to say was, don't feel ashamed, it happened to a lot of us. Feel free to ask questions, whatever it is, we will be fine with it.

Hugs, Stef

Michi8 Contributor
Hi Allison,

welcome to our board. It already happened to me too. I think, it was even on this board. I'm in so many boards, I can't even remember it anymore. I have the same problem. I know of a lot of things, that celiacs could do around here, but I'm not allowed to post it, since I'm the host :P . So I'm shutting up. It's kinda sad though. Well, never mind. What I actually wanted to say was, don't feel ashamed, it happened to a lot of us. Feel free to ask questions, whatever it is, we will be fine with it.

Hugs, Stef

Has it ever been considered to have a Buy & Sell Forum and/or and Upcoming/Community Events forum for those types of posts & links? Or would that be a duplication of the Calendar on this site?

Michelle

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Hi Allyson!!!

Welcome to the board, hope you find a lot of support and friends here!

Archived