This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kentucky Fried Chicken Update

Guest mmmom

Guest mmmom

Kentucky Fried Chicken Update - We have just been diagnosed with Celiac and my daughter is 15 a has started going out with her friends and regaining her life after 4 years of illness- very sensitive- we purchased Clan Thompson's Celiac Food List and found out the hard way that things are always changing. Kentucky Fried Chicken has changed their items to include wheat please see the new allergy information that was listed as of 1/27/07 - I saw a list on here that was incorrect - maybe it was old. But the celiac disease Food List is now out of date and I thought others should know

Mary

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast
Kentucky Fried Chicken Update - ......Mary

mmm,

As much as I love all things fried, I just figured I had walked thru my last fried chicken place door 7 weeks ago. Wouldn't there be massive CC problems?

best regards, lm

Michi8 Contributor
Kentucky Fried Chicken Update - We have just been diagnosed with Celiac and my daughter is 15 a has started going out with her friends and regaining her life after 4 years of illness- very sensitive- we purchased Clan Thompson's Celiac Food List and found out the hard way that things are always changing. Kentucky Fried Chicken has changed their items to include wheat please see the new allergy information that was listed as of 1/27/07 - I saw a list on here that was incorrect - maybe it was old. But the celiac disease Food List is now out of date and I thought others should know

Mary

I'm confused, I thought that KFC products always had wheat in them. What products have changed?

Michelle

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I can't even conceive of what could possibly have *ever* been gluten free at KFC. All the chicken is coated in flour. Just look at their website - the allergen and sensitivity page. The only thing you can get there that doesn't outright contain wheat is tomato slices, lettuce, and cole slaw - however, the cole slaw is NOT free of gluten.

Guest mmmom
I'm confused, I thought that KFC products always had wheat in them. What products have changed?

Michelle

MIchelle,

I would have thought so too, but I saw in Clan Thompson food guide several items that were suppose to be free of gluten - of course I am sure there is always a huge cross-contamination with everything there. It had said several items were made without gluten (mashed potatoes, baked beans, and more) but I don't know when he makes his list up - jusst that we get updates every 3 months. This changed last week. HOwever, I know think it is down to the corn on the cob being safe and I don't even know if I would trust that! I do not eat out! this is very hard for my child to do though.

Mary

Michi8 Contributor
MIchelle,

I would have thought so too, but I saw in Clan Thompson food guide several items that were suppose to be free of gluten - of course I am sure there is always a huge cross-contamination with everything there. It had said several items were made without gluten (mashed potatoes, baked beans, and more) but I don't know when he makes his list up - jusst that we get updates every 3 months. This changed last week. HOwever, I know think it is down to the corn on the cob being safe and I don't even know if I would trust that! I do not eat out! this is very hard for my child to do though.

Mary

Okay, that makes sense. I don't think much, if anything, at KFC in Canada was ever gluten free though...they never have offered mashed potatoes, baked beans, corn on the cob, rice etc here...although rice may have been a menu item for a short time.

Michelle

larry mac Enthusiast
.....I now think it is down to the corn on the cob being safe and I don't even know if I would trust that! I do not eat out! this is very hard for my child to do though. ..Mary

Mary,

I'm sorry, you need help, not negativity. That's got to be tough, being the parent of a teenage celiac. I've got two grown girls & one boy, 16. None celiac, although not gene tested. So I don't want to even imagine.

I just can't think of anything KFC would have unless it's something pre-packaged. Do they warm the COTC in metal pans? If so, are the pans being contaminated in the washing process, or interchangeable with all the other pans? Then there's the human hands touching everything, although they use tongs for the chicken and probably wear plastic gloves.

OK, now you've done it. I want some fried chicken and COTC.! Anyone make gluten-free fried chicken?

best regards, lm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I apologize. I'm not trying to be negative. I know how difficult this is. I have three gluten-free kiddos, the oldest, the one who's been "gluten lovin'" the longest, was the last to be dx. He's unhappy. He's rebelling. And, he's not eating (anything!). He'd love to be able to go to KFC for *anything* at this point, even if it was just for COTC.

I just wanted to let you know that my response was made as a frustrated and angry parent of a child who desperately wants to eat like a "normal" kid - and who is very upset with his mother for not allowing it.

Guest mmmom
I apologize. I'm not trying to be negative. I know how difficult this is. I have three gluten-free kiddos, the oldest, the one who's been "gluten lovin'" the longest, was the last to be dx. He's unhappy. He's rebelling. And, he's not eating (anything!). He'd love to be able to go to KFC for *anything* at this point, even if it was just for COTC.

I just wanted to let you know that my response was made as a frustrated and angry parent of a child who desperately wants to eat like a "normal" kid - and who is very upset with his mother for not allowing it.

It is okay! I know this has to be the hardest time for us! We have been sick (she lost cognitive memory from95% to 65% and has been on a home plan from school for 4 years, I have been very sick off and on for the last 3, I get so hypoglycemic when I come across any wheat that I have ended up in the ER twice) After we did an elimination diet, My daughter's symptoms disappeared in about 3 days, she is doing AWESOME- Back in school full time, honors classes and running around- she has NO problem with complying to diet, we are just finding out how hard that is to do! I did not know gluten could be hidden in so many places.

I am sure it is very hard with a little one, they do not understand, especially being so young. Mine on the other hand had life taken away from her she was a level 9 gymnast reduced to a child with NO muscles or ability to get off the couch. So as hard as it is keep telling yourself it is the only way and your battles now are giving him a lifetime of unbroken dreams!

Mary

Guest mmmom
Mary,

I'm sorry, you need help, not negativity. That's got to be tough, being the parent of a teenage celiac. I've got two grown girls & one boy, 16. None celiac, although not gene tested. So I don't want to even imagine.

I just can't think of anything KFC would have unless it's something pre-packaged. Do they warm the COTC in metal pans? If so, are the pans being contaminated in the washing process, or interchangeable with all the other pans? Then there's the human hands touching everything, although they use tongs for the chicken and probably wear plastic gloves.

OK, now you've done it. I want some fried chicken and COTC.! Anyone make gluten-free fried chicken?

best regards, lm

Thanks you are so sweet! It is hard but not too hard as we have been so sick and I really thought we were going to lose her through this- this seems like a blessing after what we have been through. Fortunately, this is the first time she has run into trouble eating out. She has lunch with friends off campus at school every day. There are a lot of good choices like Wendy's and Chick-Fil-A even has gluten free menus, and since she reacts to every drop of gluten she would quickly know of cross contaimenation. We just learned we need to check websites every week for updates- UGH!

Now on to the recipe - I have not tried this but I was going to - it is for Chicken fried steak but would probably work for chicken as well- Here goes-

Flour Mixture

2c. brown rice

3/4 c. potatoe starch

1/4 c. cornstarch

3tsp. xanthum gum

Other ingredients:

1c flour mixture

garlic salt

lemon pepper

2 c milk

Oil for frying:

Heat oil over med/med. high heat

Season about a cup of the flour with garlic and lemon pepper (slightly more than you think) coat chicken (or steak) Fry and drain

Gravy (I guess)

Remove oil and reserve 2 tsp. in the pan Heat pan over med heat and add 3 tsp of seasoned flour mixture and make a roux. After a few minutes of cooking the flour (stirring constantly) add 2 c. milk and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened (add more seasoning to taste.

If you try it let me know - I plan to when I get a little better!

Guest mmmom
Mary,

best regards, lm

Okay you made me hungry which is a very good thing! I have lost sooo much weight and have to eat constantly all day long and wake up through the night hypoglycemic ( iaccidently took some generic Aleve that had gluten 2 days ago and I was just recovering from my previous mistake of using light butter instead of real- I thought I was being so careful- I am such a rookie) Anyway, I made the Fried Chicken strips minus the gravy - not a gravy fan- and it was awesome! Better than KFC anyday! Now go get you some corn and have a great meal!

larry mac Enthusiast
.....I made the Fried Chicken strips .....and it was awesome! Better than KFC anyday! Now go get you some corn and have a great meal!

Wow, I'm impressed. Ok, you got a deal. thanks, lm

georgie Enthusiast

My husband makes a buckwheat batter and coats the chicken pieces with that. I prefer it. It has a nutty taste. I would never eat at KFC. Its not really healthy eating . cc would be a big issue.

Guest mmmom
My husband makes a buckwheat batter and coats the chicken pieces with that. I prefer it. It has a nutty taste. I would never eat at KFC. Its not really healthy eating . cc would be a big issue.

I agree - I never eat at KFC before or after diagnosis! I am a salad girl! How does your husband make the batter if you don't mind sharing? After all my years of cooking it is getting exciting to try some new things! Overwhelmed at first, but now even my husband is enjoying the change. And the fact that I am well enough to cook anything. HAHA!

georgie Enthusiast

He does - 1 cup of buckwheat flour, 1 cup water, 1 egg, salt to taste, spices as preferred. Whisk until a batter. Add chicken pieces ( we have large cubes)and let coat thoroughly. He said sometimes he almost lets it sit for a minute or so like this - then remove pieces and cook in deep fryer.

Joanie & Meg Newbie

I Thank God for this message board! I glutened my daughter and myself last night.

KFC coleslaw! Didn't know. Also because of this message board I found out about McDonalds fries.

Thank all of you out there.

Joanie

• 1 month later...
cynicaltomorrow Contributor

Since when does KFC coleslaw contain gluten? I eat it everytime I go there and have never gotten sick.

I also get mashed potatoes with no gravy... as well as a tender roast sandwich/wrap without the bun/wrap.

As far as the corn on the cob goes... I used to work at KFC back in the day... and they have a separate little cooker for it. No worries. :)

elonwy Enthusiast

According to the Food Allergies statement from KFC, their coleslaw has gluten, as do their mashed potatos. Since most flaked potato mixes for mashed potatos have gluten, I'm not surprised.

The corn on the cob, green beans and salads w/o croutons are about all we get there. I won't go there, but I do make chicken at home.

i use corn flakes or potato chips for the crunchy, and Pamela's pancake mix for the flour needed.

Yum. Chicken good.

Elonwy

Tash-n-tail Rookie
According to the Food Allergies statement from KFC, their coleslaw has gluten, as do their mashed potatos. Since most flaked potato mixes for mashed potatos have gluten, I'm not surprised.

The corn on the cob, green beans and salads w/o croutons are about all we get there. I won't go there, but I do make chicken at home.

i use corn flakes or potato chips for the crunchy, and Pamela's pancake mix for the flour needed.

Yum. Chicken good.

Elonwy

I have got to thank you for the intro and the link here! It's been an amazing life-line and everyone has been so helpful! Sincere thanks and much appreciated indeed. It's never come up on my searches but another friend in the States sent the link a few days after you did. :D

Marcus

From Tribe.

Archived