3 replies to this topic

#1 kathyhay

kathyhay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:18 PM

I just want a direct opinion from as many people as possible on how these have worked for those who have used them. Is it possible that you could be "cured" of gluten intolerance as long as you keep taking them? How soon after you started taking them did you feel better? How much did you take? Are you still taking them? What are the best brand? Where do you get them? Which supplements do you take? If you have any more input you can contribute toward this subject, I would be happy to hear it. Thanks for your support! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jendenise

jendenise

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:35 PM

I've looked into this, spoke w/ my doctor's and nutritionists, and all have helped me to come to the conclusion that it can't be cured. Maybe down the line there could be a possibility of something to prevent the reactions caused by eating glutenous foods, but I think that's a long way away. The only thing to do for now is follow the diet and hope for the best. I kind of like having celiac disease now. I eat healthier!

#3 kathyhay

kathyhay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 03:51 PM

Just bumping my post-- I would like more input on this issue.

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 04:34 PM

No, supplements, enzymes, or probiotics can not cure gluten intolerance. You have gluten intolerance because the molecules of your immune system recognize gluten as a toxic substance. Nothing can change that short of gene therapy. If it were possible to break down ALL of the offending proteins before the immune system can catch any of them, maybe, but that's not something that you can sufficiently address with supplements. (Even lactaid doesn't catch all lactose (and it's simpler to break down) but gets enough so that there not noticeable symptoms.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: