- - - - -

How Do I Get The Help I Need

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_McCamy_*

Guest_McCamy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2004 - 03:56 PM

I came across an article the other day regarding celiac disease and I have many of the symptoms and factors. BUT right now I have no insurance and financially not in a good situation so my family doctor is just passing it off as nothing.

I went in to his office with chest pains and he told me that it was stress. I then emailed him and asked into getting testing for celiac and he said it was too expensive. Period.

Does anyone know where I can get help to get tested for this around the Charlotte, North Carolina area? I know I'm not supposed to, but I put myself on a diet the other day thinking I have no other options but to figure this out on my own?

Thanks for any help!

Pat

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2004 - 05:32 PM

Hi Pat. I feel for you and feeling like you have to fight with doctors to get them to test you for Celiac. If you really think you have Celiac Disease you could do one of two things:

1. You could try a gluten-free diet for a month or so to see if you improve. If you do chances are you have Celiac.

2. You could order a stool panel test from Enterolab Dr. Fine says it is more sensitive than blood. The test to check for gluten sensitivity is around $100.00. This way you will know for sure what is wrong with you and have a doctors diagnosis.

I hope you begin to feel better soon. :)

#3 Lily

Lily

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 04:46 AM

My doctor was able to tell with a simple blood test checking for the antigliaden antibodies. The first doctor wouldn't check it, but the 2nd one finally did and it came back positive. I don't know how much it would cost without health insurance though.
You'll be in my prayers.

Lily

#4 Guest_McCamy_*

Guest_McCamy_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:44 PM

My doctor was able to tell with a simple blood test checking for the antigliaden antibodies. The first doctor wouldn't check it, but the 2nd one finally did and it came back positive. I don't know how much it would cost without health insurance though.
You'll be in my prayers.

Lily

I figured these was a simple blood test for this but he won't do it. Maybe I should find a clinic that has a sliding fee scale that might do it.

Thanks for your response. I am trying the CF diet on my own right now but it's only been a couple of days. How long before I would see results?

Pat

#5 Guest_McCamy_*

Guest_McCamy_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:47 PM

Hi Pat. I feel for you and feeling like you have to fight with doctors to get them to test you for Celiac. If you really think you have Celiac Disease you could do one of two things:

1. You could try a gluten-free diet for a month or so to see if you improve. If you do chances are you have Celiac.

2. You could order a stool panel test from Enterolab Dr. Fine says it is more sensitive than blood. The test to check for gluten sensitivity is around $100.00. This way you will know for sure what is wrong with you and have a doctors diagnosis.

I hope you begin to feel better soon. :)

I have put myself on the gluten-free diet but it's only been a couple of days. I may also try to find a clinic that can take low-income people on a sliding fee basis just to get the blood test.

Thanks!!!!

Pat

#6 Lily

Lily

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:35 PM

Pat,
I was gluten free (mostly) for 2-3 months and my blood test still showed a weak positive. They put me back on wheat for 3 weeks and tested me again and it was a strong positive. You still have enough in your system to show if you are sensitive. Having the positive blood tests will be proof enough I think to help you stay gluten free. Once I was off the gluten and then put back on it made me sicker than ever - I became more sensitive to it.
Could the health department help you?
My best to you,
Lily

#7 Guest_McCamy_*

Guest_McCamy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:00 AM

Lily,

I'm hoping that either a low-income clinic or a free clinic can help soon, or my husband and I get jobs where we have some insurance!!!!! Thanks for your reply - I really appreciate any help.

Pat

#8 VAGuy

VAGuy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 10:05 AM

You asked how long before you can see/feel results - I began feeling better within a few days, not great, but better. I've had a few blunders in the past two months but not many - I feel much better physically, and it's difficult to describe but mentally things are much more calm.

What I found:
The gluten-free flours/breads do take a little adjusting to
I think I OD'd on corn the first 10 ndays
Taste buds do adjust
Watch out for sweet things, dairy

I found a gluten-free food list @
http://homepage.mac....GFfoodlist903.1

good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: