18 replies to this topic

#1 AmandaD

AmandaD

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:39 AM

Does any celiac out there eat Fritos corn chips (in the USA) safely?

Thanks - A
Amanda
Positive TTG 9/05
Positive endoscopy 9/05
Doing well with "Sprue"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:04 AM

Fritos are gluten free in the US.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 JayT

JayT

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:21 AM

Hi,

Here is the direct link to your question regarding Frito chips. They list all the varieties you can eat on this page.

http://www.fritolay....odID_364066.htm

Safe eating!!
Dx and Gluten Free since 1996

#4 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:41 AM

I'm looking for chips too, but I noticed this at the bottom of that page and wanted to bring it to your attention ...

"Our LAY’S® STAX® chips (all flavors) are made on gluten free lines, thus all LAY’S® STAX® products are free of gluten.

*The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected.

All Frito-Lay products are labeled accurately with the most current ingredient information. Frito-Lay makes every effort to maintain this list; however, since the ingredients in our snacks are subject to change at any time, we recommend that you check the label on a specific product for the most current and accurate nutritional information. If you need assistance, please contact Frito-Lay Consumer Affairs toll-free at 1-800-352-4477 Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Central Standard Time. "

From what I read here only the LAY'S STAX are 100% guaranteed to be gluten free. UNLESS they decide to change the recipe :unsure:

That is what happened to me with the Back to Nature crackers. I was told that the ones I bought were gluten free based on the bar code, but I would have to check back on my next box. Sometimes their maltodextrin is made from barley ... Of course, I forgot to check back with them and got glutenned. :angry:

"Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected. "

Anybody else bothered by this statement ? It's either gluten free or it's not. :ph34r: Why do they tempt us by saying if you are sensitive don't eat these. Just because you don't react doesn't mean it does not have gluten and will not damage your intestines ............ :angry:

Please excuse my rant ... I am just getting fed up with this ... I'll be quiet now ... :rolleyes: Marcia
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)
August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...
July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)
Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)
September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

#5 JerryK

JerryK

Hey you get to type in here after 500 posts!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:04 AM

Fritos are gluten free in the US.

I'm pretty sure the Chili Cheese ones have gluten in them, but the regular do not.
Dental Enamel Defects
Gastro symptoms
Positive Dietary Response
Enterolab Antigliadin IgA positive 12/06
Transglutaminase IgA Positive
Blood TG IgA Negative 2/07
HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)
Gluten Intolerant...Likely non Celiac

Western Oregon (Or-ee-gun) US

Why Worry?...YOU are a sentient being on a habitable world in a cosmos largely filled with nothing.
You’ve already won the lottery! Enjoy it!

#6 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:14 AM

My family doesn't seem to be real sensitive to cc issues, but I do have problems with Fritos if I eat too many. I love those chips too.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#7 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:22 AM

Hi,

Here is the direct link to your question regarding Frito chips. They list all the varieties you can eat on this page.
http://www.fritolay....odID_364066.htm

Safe eating!!

Marcia,

This is just a legal disclaimer. If I was their attorney, I would advise them to say the same thing. Technically, "gluten free" will not have an actual definition until 2008 (i believe). Even then, it will allow for 20 ppm of gluten and under to be gluten free.

It does not make economic sense for these companies to switch to gluten free dedicated lines (at least not yet). I don't blame them. In fact, I am glad they disclose how they make them so I can make an informed decision on whether to buy their product or not.

furthermore, if they use the same lines for different products (some gluten free and some not), they had better issue this disclaimer (for liability reasons).

Eating out and non-dedicated lines are part of the risks associated with being Celiac. It sucks, but that's business/life.

:)

#8 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:40 AM

Marcia,

This is just a legal disclaimer. If I was their attorney, I would advise them to say the same thing. Technically, "gluten free" will not have an actual definition until 2008 (i believe). Even then, it will allow for 20 ppm of gluten and under to be gluten free.

It does not make economic sense for these companies to switch to gluten free dedicated lines (at least not yet). I don't blame them. In fact, I am glad they disclose how they make them so I can make an informed decision on whether to buy their product or not.

furthermore, if they use the same lines for different products (some gluten free and some not), they had better issue this disclaimer (for liability reasons).

Eating out and non-dedicated lines are part of the risks associated with being Celiac. It sucks, but that's business/life.

:)

See, I believe it does make economic sense for them to produce a gluten-free product on a dedicated line. I certainly don't want eat the first batch made on that line after they have made something with gluten ... :ph34r:

Anyone new to the diet may not respond to these, but later on probably will. We appear to get more sensitive to gluten the less we are exposed to it.

Until, I am certain I will not be glutenned and spend the next few days jerking and on the toilet, I'm not going to eat these ... They lost my $2.79 ... :lol:

Marcia
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)
August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...
July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)
Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)
September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

#9 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:47 AM

I wish I could agree with ya.

But seeing how Frito Lay is a multi-billion dollar company and the gluten free market has not proven itslef to be sufficiently mainstream yet (at least mainstream enough for building new facilities to house dedicated lines), I don't see it happening.

What we think is a profitable market and what they think is a profitable market are two completely different things.

They will change when they have financial reports that tell them that the market will deliver the money to pay for a dedicated facility and for them to make the same amount (or more) of profits. Until that happens, they will not.

Much to our dismay...

#10 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:14 AM

If it made economic sense to to it, they would be doing it! They want to make profits, not lose money. I used to work at Frito Lay Research, and at a plant. So I know some things associated with some products. But that was a long time ago, I'm sure there have been many changes since then.

I'm guessing that many of these products are gluten free to start with, but the seasonings may contain wheat or MSG or other chemicals some people may be sensitive to. The plain corn chips, potato chips and such are usually just corn & potatoes fried in oil with salt sprinked on. If you stick with those then theoretically you should be OK.

The first poster asked about Fritos corn chips. The plain one's don't have any gluten in them. Neither do plain Ruffles. Now when you start getting the seasoned one's you have to read the labels carefully.

If you looked at that list, it's pretty long. They make a lot of different products. There's no way they could have a dedicated line for every one, but many probably do. These lines typically run 24/7 (at least the ones I worked at did), and only shut down for maintenance. We're talking millions and millions of chips. How many gluten-free ones do you thing they would sell. And then you've got half the people thinking they're sensitive to all kinds of other stuff. Where does it stop? How many gluten-free, dairy free, cassein free, vegan, soy free, etc. etc. etc. chips do you think they would sell. And no matter what they would make, half the people are still gonna think they got a reaction from it anyway!

And concerning the leftover residue. There's no way to estimate that without visiting a plant and watching how well they do at cleaning the equipment. But if it's as small as they seem to indicate, lets hope that the majority of celiacs can live with it. That would mean there's hope for a lot of celiacs to live normal lives being exposed to low levels of gluten from whatever source.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#11 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:17 AM

I do not eat Frito-Lay products because I have had reactions to them in the past, AmandaD.

#12 AmandaD

AmandaD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:34 PM

Thanks guys, I think what I'm going to do is let my husband and kids have them, but I probably won't eat them myself (we're having chili tonite)...:o).
Amanda
Positive TTG 9/05
Positive endoscopy 9/05
Doing well with "Sprue"

#13 hicupingandburping

hicupingandburping

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

why were other posts erased? Alot of people have had contamination problems with fritos and gluten including myself...

#14 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:47 AM

why were other posts erased? Alot of people have had contamination problems with fritos and gluten including myself...

I'm confused -- we don't erase posts unless the are spam --

Are you looking for this thread?

http://www.celiac.co..._1
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#15 minniejack

minniejack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:48 AM

I've been missing the BBQ corn chips. This week I made a fantastic purchase with those new Planters Black Chipotle nuts--yuuummmy. A small handful and you get the yummy taste of bbq fritos w/o the gluten. And they work easily into my diet. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: