This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Teeth Grinding In Sleep

Sinenox

etyrnal Newbie

Read up on gluten sensitivity... on of the primary ways gluten affects people with the sensitivity is by triggering an auto-immune (against one's own tissues) reaction against nerves and brain... so, now ask yourself, if gluten can trigger your own immune system to attack YOUR OWN nerves and BRAIN tissues due to misidentification by the antibodies, between the proteins in your own brain tissues, and gluten proteins... would that be considered 'STRESS' in the BRAIN? An intangible attack on one's own brain tissues by one's own antibodies -- how's that NOT stress? The cross-reactivity that gluten sensitivity can be triggered by other things which contain no gluten as well. Google gluten cross-reactive foods. Coffee is one, dairy, eggs, soy, rice, corn. It's because the immune system doesn't check the entire protein. So it can misidentify other proteins as invaders as long as enough of the protein is similar. A gluten sensitive person's auto-immune reaction can be triggered by other proteins which are similar.

So, if something is attaching your brain/nerves/tissues, how does it NOT make sense that there could be some visceral intangible 'anguish' / stress that would cause one to be tense, and grind ones teeth?  Bruxism.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

Hi there. 

This thread is seven years old and it is very unlikely that the posters will see your reply.  You are welcome to start a new thread if you like.

Colleen

etyrnal Newbie

Hi there. 

This thread is seven years old and it is very unlikely that the posters will see your reply.  You are welcome to start a new thread if you like.

Colleen

but someone may find this the same way i did...  a top google search result when searching for "gluten sensitivity  bruxism".

old knowledge mixes will with new knowledge when it come to clarifying understanding...

notme Experienced

here's some - cross-reactivity is a myth  :)  meaning, there is no science to support this theory.  

GF Lover Rising Star

but someone may find this the same way i did...  a top google search result when searching for "gluten sensitivity  bruxism".

old knowledge mixes will with new knowledge when it come to clarifying understanding...

I did not say the information was worthless.  This is why the thread is still live.  I told you that you may not get responses from this thread and you may start a new one if you please.  There is an FAQ section that might interest you and help you navigate the site.

Colleen

IrishHeart Veteran

The cross-reactivity that gluten sensitivity can be triggered by other things which contain no gluten as well. Google gluten cross-reactive foods. Coffee is one, dairy, eggs, soy, rice, corn. It's because the immune system doesn't check the entire protein. So it can misidentify other proteins as invaders as long as enough of the protein is similar. A gluten sensitive person's auto-immune reaction can be triggered by other proteins which are similar.

ah yes,that googling thing can be a crap shoot when diagnosing oneself with health issues.  

We tend to look at valid sources of information like the University of Chicago Celiac center

IOpen Original Shared Link

We aren’t familiar with any foods that show evidence of cross-reactivity.

Open Original Shared Link

etyrnal Newbie

careful, Google isn't the source... but googling did land me on this page... does that invalidate the site?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

etyrnal Newbie

by the way, you're not citing a study, or a source. You are literally citing their statement of nescience. They are unaware. I. e. they do not know about it. Which is worlds different from having actually scientifically studied it first hand and made biochemical observations which disprove cross reactivity....

they are admitting that they are unaware, and haven't stated any intention of studying it.

IrishHeart Veteran

careful, Google isn't the source... but googling did land me on this page... does that invalidate the site?

no, but not everything on here is "solid gold info" either. People post a lot of opinions...that does not make it "factual "

IrishHeart Veteran

by the way, you're not citing a study, or a source. You are literally citing their statement of nescience. They are unaware. I. e. they do not know about it. Which is worlds different from having actually scientifically studied it first hand and made biochemical observations which disprove cross reactivity....

they are admitting that they are unaware, and haven't stated any intention of studying it.

"we are unaware of"  is  a polite way of saying "it's unproven".

Take a stroll through PubMed...there's no evidence there. Believe me, I've looked.

If any celiac researchers thought this was a hazard to celiacs, they'd publish the information and tell us to stop eating those foods.

kareng Grand Master

Well... You are just trying to be contrary but I will give an answer for others that might want to know - we cite the Univ of Chicago Celiac center because they have the easiest site to link to. They answer questions in an easy to understand manner. They are celiac researchers and have many published studies. They work with other researchers throughout the world. They hosted the International Celiac Disease Symposium this past Sept with researchers from around the world. I went. Several researchers said there is no evidence of Cross- reactivity.

Sometimes, there is no published study to say something doesn't exist because, really? Why would you need to disprove everything someone questioned? How do you disprove something that makes no sense? I have never met you in person. How do I prove that? It would be up to you to prove you have actually met me.

If you would like to discuss the theory of cross- reactivity, please start a new thread as that is not the topic of this old dormant thread. Please be prepared to show some actual scientific proof of your theory to discuss.

Archived