35 replies to this topic

#31 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

The cross-reactivity that gluten sensitivity can be triggered by other things which contain no gluten as well. Google gluten cross-reactive foods. Coffee is one, dairy, eggs, soy, rice, corn. It's because the immune system doesn't check the entire protein. So it can misidentify other proteins as invaders as long as enough of the protein is similar. A gluten sensitive person's auto-immune reaction can be triggered by other proteins which are similar.

ah yes,that googling thing can be a crap shoot when diagnosing oneself with health issues.  

We tend to look at valid sources of information like the University of Chicago Celiac center

We aren’t familiar with any foods that show evidence of cross-reactivity.

http://www.curecelia...-reactive-foods

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 etyrnal

etyrnal

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:41 AM

careful, Google isn't the source... but googling did land me on this page... does that invalidate the site?

#33 etyrnal

etyrnal

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:47 AM

by the way, you're not citing a study, or a source. You are literally citing their statement of nescience. They are unaware. I. e. they do not know about it. Which is worlds different from having actually scientifically studied it first hand and made biochemical observations which disprove cross reactivity....

they are admitting that they are unaware, and haven't stated any intention of studying it.

#34 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

careful, Google isn't the source... but googling did land me on this page... does that invalidate the site?

no, but not everything on here is "solid gold info" either. People post a lot of opinions...that does not make it "factual "

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#35 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:18 AM

by the way, you're not citing a study, or a source. You are literally citing their statement of nescience. They are unaware. I. e. they do not know about it. Which is worlds different from having actually scientifically studied it first hand and made biochemical observations which disprove cross reactivity....

they are admitting that they are unaware, and haven't stated any intention of studying it.

"we are unaware of"  is  a polite way of saying "it's unproven".

Take a stroll through PubMed...there's no evidence there. Believe me, I've looked.

If any celiac researchers thought this was a hazard to celiacs, they'd publish the information and tell us to stop eating those foods.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#36 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

Well... You are just trying to be contrary but I will give an answer for others that might want to know - we cite the Univ of Chicago Celiac center because they have the easiest site to link to. They answer questions in an easy to understand manner. They are celiac researchers and have many published studies. They work with other researchers throughout the world. They hosted the International Celiac Disease Symposium this past Sept with researchers from around the world. I went. Several researchers said there is no evidence of Cross- reactivity.

Sometimes, there is no published study to say something doesn't exist because, really? Why would you need to disprove everything someone questioned? How do you disprove something that makes no sense? I have never met you in person. How do I prove that? It would be up to you to prove you have actually met me.

If you would like to discuss the theory of cross- reactivity, please start a new thread as that is not the topic of this old dormant thread. Please be prepared to show some actual scientific proof of your theory to discuss.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: