This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vitamin D Deficiency

lonewolf

lonewolf Collaborator

My doctor tested me for vitamin D deficiency last week and just called to say that I need to take 2000 mg/day of Vitamin D. This probably explains why my psoriasis has been worse, but I don't seem to have any other symptoms.

Has anyone else had this? I've been gluten free for quite a while, but now I'm wondering if I'm having some type of malabsorption problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DebS Newbie
My doctor tested me for vitamin D deficiency last week and just called to say that I need to take 2000 mg/day of Vitamin D. This probably explains why my psoriasis has been worse, but I don't seem to have any other symptoms.

Has anyone else had this? I've been gluten free for quite a while, but now I'm wondering if I'm having some type of malabsorption problem.

I was diagnosed as having a vitamin D deficiency as well and I'm now taking 2000mg a day of vitamin D. I know I would have a vitamin D deficiency even if I didn't have a gluten intolerance problem (not diagnosed as celiac, just a high IgG number so no damage to my intestines). I've read that the vast majority of people in this country are deficient in vitamin D because of our fear of the sun. We've been told for so many years to avoid the sun like the plague and since the only way our bodies can make vitamin D is through sun exposure...well you do the math. Anyway, I wouldn't worry that the low vitamin D level is a sign of malabsorption...just my opinion though.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Actually, the vitamin D deficiency is both a sign that people don't get enough sun exposure, AND a symptom of celiac disease. We do get some vitamin D in food (in butter, for instance), and it can't get absorbed when your small intestine is damaged.

I was deficient in vitamin D as well when tested in November of 2005. I started supplementing with cod liver oil (the Carlson brand, which doesn't taste gross), and the last time I got tested had gone to have too much vitamin D! So, I had to stop taking as much.

And that is the best and most natural way of getting vitamin D, in cod liver oil. You get your essential omega 3 fatty acids at the same time as vitamin D.

lonewolf Collaborator
Actually, the vitamin D deficiency is both a sign that people don't get enough sun exposure, AND a symptom of celiac disease. We do get some vitamin D in food (in butter, for instance), and it can't get absorbed when your small intestine is damaged.

I was deficient in vitamin D as well when tested in November of 2005. I started supplementing with cod liver oil (the Carlson brand, which doesn't taste gross), and the last time I got tested had gone to have too much vitamin D! So, I had to stop taking as much.

And that is the best and most natural way of getting vitamin D, in cod liver oil. You get your essential omega 3 fatty acids at the same time as vitamin D.

Actually, this kind of concerns me. I've been fanatically gluten-free for about 15 months and I've been wheat free and very gluten light for almost 11 years. And, I don't actually have Celiac - I don't even have the right genes, so I shouldn't even have had intestinal damage. And to top it off, I've been taking cod liver oil off and on for a few years too.

My doctor was curious about my vitamin D level because she thought I might have a deficiency, but I'm using some vitamin D psoriasis medication that often makes people have too much of it. It just doesn't make sense that I'm deficient. I've been doing some research and am wondering if I'm also low on calcium - I'm intolerant to dairy and don't always remember to take my calcium supplements.

super-sally888 Contributor

Hi,

I was never tested for Vit D levels, but my calcium levels are often too low.

They did look at parathyroid function way back, and it was out. The treatment of calcitriol (biologically active vitamin D) - not the one you get in regular vit tablets, which is the precursor of the active Vit D (they assume your body will convert it to vit D - and most people do). My problem was/is not lack of sun exposure. I live in a tropical country and I am a triathlete. Yes I use sunscreen, but my tan proves I do have regular sun exposure. This vit D brought my calcium levels up to mid normal range.

Recently calcium is low again (dr. has already prescribed Vit D and Calcium) but I will be testing parathyroid again before I start that...

Sally

georgie Enthusiast

I am low in Vit D and high in Calcium. Dr is watching and will supp Vit D and recheck Calcium. Parathyroid was mentioned. It doesn't make sense for me to be low in Vit D here in Australia, but Dr said many people are now. I am using a D3 liquid 1 x month.

Nancym Enthusiast

Be sure to take the OILY vitamin D3 called Cholecaliferol, not the D2 or the dry D3. I think GNC or Vitamin Shop has Carlson's brand which comes in 2000 IU.

D deficiency is being linked to all kinds of disease now. Here's some web sites that write about D: vitamindcouncil.com

This Open Original Shared Link writes a lot about it.

There's a growing group of doctors that believe our population is very deficient in Vit. D due to where we live and the fact we're not outside in the sun with our skin exposed (and not slathered with sun-screen).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

georgie Enthusiast

Yes, its an oily D3 made up by a compounding chemist.

Vit D seems to be so important. The Dr is even treating my husbands Type 2 Diabetes ( just dx) with it - and not Diabetes meds. Low levels are also linked to breast & prostate cancers.

Gentleheart Enthusiast

Other than rickets in extreme cases, what are the typical symptoms of vitamin D deficiency?

Nancym Enthusiast

They're finding cancer, osteoperosis and stuff like that linked to D deficiency. So the symptoms are nasty, nasty diseases that might kill you. :P They really should be doing routine Vit D testing in blood.

angst2amity Rookie

Look at this. I have severe Vitamin D deficiency and high blood calcium.

Open Original Shared Link

• 2 years later...
Lahoma Newbie

Other than rickets in extreme cases, what are the typical symptoms of vitamin D deficiency?

Some of the symptoms are:

Bone/joint pain (particularly in the long bones of the body)

muscle aches and fatigue

Muscle spasms particularly in face and feet

General Fatigue

difficulty sleeping

After 2 years of being gluten free and taking 2000 IU of vitamin D per day I am still vitamin D deficient :( I now am starting a weekly prescription vitamin D supplementation routine - I think it is like 50,000 IU per week for 10 weeks - and hopefully it will fix this up for me, but they are worried about why I would still be deficient (maybe refractory sprue? but my bloodwork was negative for antibodies) so its more trips to the doctor for me.

JennyC Enthusiast

I just thought that I'd add that vitamin D deficiency is very common. I work in a hospital laboratory and nearly every patient we test is vitamin D deficient. A tech tested her own blood, and she too was deficient even though she takes vitamin D supplements each day.

jackay Enthusiast

Hi,

I was never tested for Vit D levels, but my calcium levels are often too low.

They did look at parathyroid function way back, and it was out. The treatment of calcitriol (biologically active vitamin D) - not the one you get in regular vit tablets, which is the precursor of the active Vit D (they assume your body will convert it to vit D - and most people do). My problem was/is not lack of sun exposure. I live in a tropical country and I am a triathlete. Yes I use sunscreen, but my tan proves I do have regular sun exposure. This vit D brought my calcium levels up to mid normal range.

Recently calcium is low again (dr. has already prescribed Vit D and Calcium) but I will be testing parathyroid again before I start that...

Sally

I got headaches from calcitriol so switched to Vit D3. With the Vit D3 in my calcium supplements, I take at total of 3500 IU daily. Three months ago it was in the midrange level. My doctor likes it higher during the winter months. I just had it checked again yesterday.

I had surgery for hyperparathyroidism nine months ago. I had 3 1/2 of my 4 parathyroid glands removed. I'm anxious to see what where my parathyroid hormone and calcium level are at. I take 2500 mg. calcium daily and am hoping to cut down ono that. If I do cut down, I need to have my calcium level checked again in a month.

• 3 weeks later...
thleensd Enthusiast

They found my Vit D deficiency next week (I'm at 18, ref range 30-something). I'm anxious to get started on my D because I'm hoping to get some symptom relief. Vit D deficiency can cause fatigue, muscle wasting, and a whole host of other things including bone and muscle pain. Maybe it will help my insomnia and anxiety a bit too. =D

My regular doc said to take a supplement...1000 IUs or so, but I saw my GI doc today, and she put me on 50,000 IU/week for 8 weeks (like Lahoma). After that supposedly I can go down to a maintenance dose of 1000/day. I did a bit of research and it is the new recommended approach to deficiency.

I took my first 50,000 a couple hours ago. So far so good ;-)

Not only is D deficiency common among the general population, but apparently very common with Celiac. GI doc reminded me that ANYTHING usually absorbed in the duodenum may be low (and should be checked).

She didn't tell me to up my calcium intake, but after a bit of reading today, I might.

bluebonnet Explorer

i try to get my sun exposure daily and i've always supplemented with a dry d3 (after this post i hear dry is not good). my mom had to take 50,000 for 3 months and her levels finally went up. mine are 25 right now with 30 being the cut off. you're saying if i take the cod liver oil supplement i would get my d3 and not need a fish oil supplement?

Reba32 Rookie

I was just dx with D deficiency. All they told me was "take an off the shelf supplment" Didn't say how much or how often, nothing. I really dislike doctors most of the time, they're not much help :P

I looked at my handful of vitimins that I currently take, and I guess it's not nearly enough D, considering how much the rest of you are taking! I guess I'm in for another trip to the vitimin shelf!

• 3 months later...
isabela1 Newbie

hello people

some have lack of it which is why you should know more about vitamin D deficiency symptoms

Archived