This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pain In Lower Left Abdomen

TCA

TCA Contributor

I've had a pain in my lower left abdomen for about 6 weeks. It is slowly getting worse. I started out by going to my family doctor, who did an ultrasound and found nothing. He sent me to the OB/Gyn, who I've seen twice. He did an ultrasound last week and put me on antibiotics in case it might be an infection. I've finished the antibiotics and the pain hadn't eased at all. I went back yesterday and they did another ultrasound, which was extremely painful. They found nothing. He did bloodwork and checked my CBC and did a mono test, both of which were normal. During all of this they have done 4 pregnancy tests, all of which were negative. I had an ectopic on my left side 7 years ago, but it was fairly easy to locate. He suggested I see a GI to rule out anything there. The next step is exploratory surgery to see what's wrong. With 2 kids and a husband with little leave, I don't want to go there unless I have to.

Does anyone here have ANY idea what might be going on? Could it be something like spastic colon?

My gyn did ask if I had been tested for celiac disease. I have been gluten-free since 9/05 because of going gluten-free for my breastfed daughter. I don't think this is a celiac disease symptom, but I just don't know. The pain is stationary and I don't have any other gi symptoms.

I am also exhausted all the time, but that could be explained by anemia that I just can't seem to get over.

Sorry to bother all of you with this, but I'm having a hard time figuring this one out. I still wonder if it couldn't be another ectopic, but all indications are no at this point. Any ideas to look into will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Electra Enthusiast
I've had a pain in my lower left abdomen for about 6 weeks. It is slowly getting worse. I started out by going to my family doctor, who did an ultrasound and found nothing. He sent me to the OB/Gyn, who I've seen twice. He did an ultrasound last week and put me on antibiotics in case it might be an infection. I've finished the antibiotics and the pain hadn't eased at all. I went back yesterday and they did another ultrasound, which was extremely painful. They found nothing. He did bloodwork and checked my CBC and did a mono test, both of which were normal. During all of this they have done 4 pregnancy tests, all of which were negative. I had an ectopic on my left side 7 years ago, but it was fairly easy to locate. He suggested I see a GI to rule out anything there. The next step is exploratory surgery to see what's wrong. With 2 kids and a husband with little leave, I don't want to go there unless I have to.

Does anyone here have ANY idea what might be going on? Could it be something like spastic colon?

My gyn did ask if I had been tested for celiac disease. I have been gluten-free since 9/05 because of going gluten-free for my breastfed daughter. I don't think this is a celiac disease symptom, but I just don't know. The pain is stationary and I don't have any other gi symptoms.

I am also exhausted all the time, but that could be explained by anemia that I just can't seem to get over.

Sorry to bother all of you with this, but I'm having a hard time figuring this one out. I still wonder if it couldn't be another ectopic, but all indications are no at this point. Any ideas to look into will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Abdominal pain in one side and Anemia are both signs of Celiac, and some people have NO physical signs at all.

If you are gluten free then you should NOT be having signs from Celiac, but if you have it you could have intolerances to other foods which will cause Celiac like symptoms!!

I'm sure others here can lend more insite into what's going on. I really hope you figure it out soon!! Good Luck!!

jerseyangel Proficient

One thought I had is endometriosis.

Sorry you're having this pain, Tanya. I hope they get to the bottom of it soon :)

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I am not sure if this will help or not, but before learning I had celiac, I had pain in the left lower abdomen and it kept getting worse, nothing helped it...no pills, rest, heating pads. I had also all kinds of radiology tests to find out the cause, nothing. When I switched Dr's I had been keeping a journal of what was happening to me and when. She suggested I get a test for celiac right off the bat. It came back very positive. Once going on the diet things improved and now I am pain free. I did get some accidental glutenings over the holidays and the pain came back slightly, not nearly as intense as before going gluten free. Hope this does help you, I know how you feel. I was scared.

Jestgar Rising Star

Alright TCA. I've had enough of you being the center of attention. From here on out you will be well. Your daughter will have no more health issues whatsoever. There will be no more surgeries, no more things hurting and no more food issues of any kind.

Every member of your family will be completely healthy. Got it?

TCA Contributor
Alright TCA. I've had enough of you being the center of attention. From here on out you will be well. Your daughter will have no more health issues whatsoever. There will be no more surgeries, no more things hurting and no more food issues of any kind.

Every member of your family will be completely healthy. Got it?

I'm laughing because I'm hoping that was meant to be funny! Trust me, I'd very much like to NOT be the center of attention and for everyone to just get well and stay that way for a while!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone else for the suggestions. My OB says it isn't endometreosis. I did glutened pretty bad last month, but I doubt it would still be hurting. I had my usual joint pains for a few days and the usual rash broke out on my elbow, but would it still be hurting after a month?

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Tanya

I was hoping Patti would get on.

Why don't you PM her

Maybe she can help you shed some lite on this from the testing and surgery she just had.

i sure don't have ideas but sending my love and hugs anyway.

judy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

georgie Enthusiast
Thanks everyone else for the suggestions. My OB says it isn't endometreosis.

I thought of Endometriosis too. Have you had a laparoscopy? Mine was very bad and only discovered during an op.

jerseyangel Proficient
Mine was very bad and only discovered during an op.

Mine, too. I had actually asked my doctor last summer if I might have it, and she said no because it didn't show up on the ultrasound. My pain was also on the lower left side.

Turns out, I had a bad case of it--and also another form of the disease that infiltrates the uterine wall. All of this was discovered during surgery. The best way to diagnose it is by having laproscopic surgery. It's often missed.

Jestgar Rising Star
I'm laughing

That's all I wanted. Get well. :rolleyes:

TCA Contributor
Mine, too. I had actually asked my doctor last summer if I might have it, and she said no because it didn't show up on the ultrasound. My pain was also on the lower left side.

Turns out, I had a bad case of it--and also another form of the disease that infiltrates the uterine wall. All of this was discovered during surgery. The best way to diagnose it is by having laproscopic surgery. It's often missed.

Well, we all know how wrong drs. can be, don't we??? ;) The GI still hasn't called me back. I may end up having to have the laproscopic surgery done. I'm so sorry so many of you have had to go through this, but glad that you don't think I'm crazy. :blink: If it doesn't get better in a couple weeks I guess that's what will happen. Thanks again! Sorry to sound like a hypochondriac about everything! I think I started falling apart at 30! I guess it was the 29 years of gluten, Ha! :P

jerseyangel Proficient

Oh Tanya,

No one thinks you're crazy! I still don't know how mine was missed for so long. I had a hysterectomy a month ago for what I thought were large fibroids and a cystic ovary. I had basically had enough of the pain, but as I said, I really suspected endo because of the symptoms.

I went for my 4 week check-up on Monday. It was then that the doctor told me that I actually had 3 diagnoses! That was the first I knew about the endo!

Like you said, we all know how wrong doctors can be--and it's very true. :)

georgie Enthusiast
Mine, too. I had actually asked my doctor last summer if I might have it, and she said no because it didn't show up on the ultrasound. My pain was also on the lower left side

That is very wrong for a Dr to say that. I had HEAPS of ultrasounds and it missed my extremely severe Endo completely. The Lap op was a breeze- just in overnight as I live so far from the hospital. I had the op for a ovarian cyst. That's when the Endometriosis was found. I now have my hormones balanced as my Thyroid Dr also does hormone balancing. I use a bio identical Progesterone Cream on my wrist each night - as a saliva test done showed I was very Oestrogen dominent. Do a search on Oesrogen Dominence and you will see how nasty it is, and can cause cancer, fibroids, cysts and Endometriosis.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I used to get a very severe pain in my left abdomen. It did not lessen with going gluten-free initially. So I kept trying things, and now it seems to have gone away. I went on grain free diet, quit potatoes, quit legumes. Was already dairy free.

Some possibilities????:

yeast problems in your intestines

inability to digest any grains

inability to digest lectins.

I know it seems odd that the pain would always be in one spot. I always thought so. I've not have lap surg or any kind of looking in there whatsoever, so I can't vouch that I don't have some sort of bigger problem. HOWEVER, it has finally gotten better.

I have also gotten a very bad pain in my lower abdomen just from having a bacterial vaginal infection. I assume you've ruled that out, though.

I don't know. Good luck to you, though, for sure. Fructose intolerance, is another poss.

Sherri

Mtndog Collaborator

Tanya- I was thinking endometriosis too. Or a cyst that for whatever reason didn't show up in the ultrasound. :( It couldn't be your hip could it?

I hope you find out soon!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

While endometriosis is a possibility before you undergo an exploratory laproscopic procedure have you had a colonoscopy? Diveritculosis or outpouchings in the large intestine are fairly common with celiacs and can also be a cause of pain in the lower left quadrent. They can cause problems even when diverticulitis (that's when they become inflammed) is not present. It might be another thing you may want to rule out also.

key Contributor

I have to say with all the stress you have been under, there is no wonder that you are having problems. I for one have been under a tremendous amount of stress with my two kids health issues. I have three boys. I have seen what you have been through in the past year and it is crazy. As far as falling apart at 30, I have to agree, this is exactly what happened to me. I swear I went to bed one night and woke up with the worst abdominal symptoms ever. Right now I am feeling better.

Have you ever had any surgeries in that area?? It could be adhesions from a previous surgery. Doing exploratory surgery would only make this worse. Also, I think I would have the colonoscopy first. My mom had had spastic colon symptoms forever and she always got a horrible pain on her right side. IN fact, in her 30's she told me she had 6 colonoscopies and it was never anything. I thought since my son and I have celiac maybe she did too, but she just got tested and it is appearing that everything is normal for her there.

I guess endometriosis is a possibility too. I have to say from my experience, the more stress you are under with your children, can cause your health to suffer. I am also anemic and I am getting 8 iron infusions over 8 weeks. So far I have had two. I am hoping it will set me on the road to recovery. Anemia is exhausting!

Take care and I will be praying for you!

Monica

TCA Contributor

I have had an ectopic pregnancy on my left side 7 years ago. I guess it could be adhesions. I do have an appt. with the GI on the 29th. Hopefully they will be able to help. I think?????

Thanks for the understanding Monica. I do hope you're able to feel better soon. I guess the stress of it all is making all of us sick. Hopefully things will calm down soon.

I appreciate all the replies. I was really worried it was another ectopic at one point, but I think the things all of you pointed out are much more likely.

Hope you all have a great Valentine's Day! :rolleyes:

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

TCA, I'm glad you're going to the GI on the 29th. Let us know how it goes. I agree with ravenwoodglass that a colonoscopy could be in order. Some ulcerative colitis is called left-sided UC because it only effects the rectum, sigmoid colon, and the left side of the colon (in other words, it hasn't spread to the whole colon but just stays in the last third of it). UC actually causes some blood loss from the colon that leads to anemia as well. I'm by no means a doctor, and you can take this with a grain of salt, but having just done a lot of research on UC for myself, I know that this is one thing that your GI will likely want to rule out by getting a look inside the colon. I think they can also visualize fistulas and other things in the colon through a barium enema (I know--yuck). Good luck, and let us know what happens.

• 5 months later...
makeasplash Newbie

TCA, let me know how it works out because I have been dealing with endometriosis for years now, and I finally learned to manage the symptoms by going gluten-free about 10 weeks ago. I do still have one slight nagging pain in my lower left abdomen (which I always had to a greater extent before, especially with cramps), and I'd be interested to find out if it could be related. I've also seen my share of doctors and breathed through painful ultrasounds, just to have them say "cramps" and send me home with nothing.

Teacher1958 Apprentice
TCA, let me know how it works out because I have been dealing with endometriosis for years now, and I finally learned to manage the symptoms by going gluten-free about 10 weeks ago. I do still have one slight nagging pain in my lower left abdomen (which I always had to a greater extent before, especially with cramps), and I'd be interested to find out if it could be related. I've also seen my share of doctors and breathed through painful ultrasounds, just to have them say "cramps" and send me home with nothing.

I'm going in for a colonoscopy on Monday. The pain in my lower left side occurs after any large bowel movement. It's a burning sensation almost like a raw skin area that has been disturbed. It usually lasts all day, and the pain becomes more of an ache and goes into my back and down the inside of my left leg. It's not unbearable, but it is uncomfortable.

Archived