The Good Life

• Please log in to reply

30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*

Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:15 AM

Hey Gluten Free Friends!

Just an interesting idea...I was wondering, what everyone thought was the best part about being a Celiac? A plethora of answers is welcome!!!

Here are mine:

*I learned how to COOK!!! (and not only do I love to cook, I am in control--unlike at a restaurant.)

*We DO have food choices--and it's amazing how much they taste like the REAL thing!!!

*There are a lot of us out there going through the same predicaments!

*THIS SITE!!!

*THIS MESSAGE BOARD, AND THE PEOPLE HERE!!!

*You can still exercise!

*You can promote awareness--and change the way your fellow Gluten consumers look at ingredient labels!

*Wegmans!!!!

*There is still chocolate!

*Support Groups

---That's just a drop in the bucket.

Beat the Wheat (barley, oats, and rye),

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:57 AM

Definitely the incentive to try even more new ingredients in cooking.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:41 PM

Awwww! Plus we read lables and KNOW what we're eating!

#4 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 06:18 PM

I think the best part is all the new friends I've made. (behind on this board from feeling so good and enjoying life. :D )
Hugs, Carol B Enterolab diagnosed gluten sensitive and casein allergic June 04

#5 Alexolua

Alexolua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 10:46 PM

Awwww! Plus we read lables and KNOW what we're eating!

Though I never look at calories, fat, etc.. too concerned about the other part of the label, LOL.

Good points Jill. Though I don't really like to cook, even now... argh! (I do though, lol)

#6 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:04 PM

The thing I like is when I am at a function or someone's home & they offer me something that does NOT look appetizing... I can ALWAYS say, "Ummm, I'm sorry, but I can't eat that because of the gluten..." :) It also keeps unwanted calories down at holidays! PLUS, when at certain restaurants, the gluten-free version they make for me always looks nicer & bigger than the regular version! Bonus!!!

#7 jendenise

jendenise

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 02:26 PM

First of all, GREAT idea! There are more positive aspects of this than I originally thought. For me atleast, I don't gain weight! therefore I got to go shopping for a whole new wardrobe! Also, the gluten-free food I buy is a tax write off! sound too good to be true? Well it's not. Gluten free food can be submitted for a tax write off so start keeping all receipts and take advantage! I'll find the correct info tonight and post it asap as a new post. Also, I've become friends with people I never would have known otherwise. Mostly though, I'm eating healthier, maybe not always by choice, but to keep from getting sick I have to, I don't get to eat a box of doughnuts, or a box of cookies when I want, because, doughnuts are difficult to find and cookies are expensive. One last thing, there are sights that say Celiacs Disease can cause irretableness. I have the BEST excuse ever when I'm snotty. "I can't help it, it's a disease!" Enjoy it if you gotta deal with it!

#8 Pegster

Pegster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 06:26 PM

1. I can still eat chocolate
2. I can still eat at In N Out
3. I can Just Say No to Krispy Kreme (because I know what it does to me)
4. When I travel to Italy, the waiters treat me like I'm special and bring me delicious gluten-free meals including dessert!
5. I know what makes me sick and all I have to do is avoid it. No more surprises!! :D
PEGGY
Positive DH biopsy 4/19/04

#9 astyanax

astyanax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:01 PM

hmm i'd say learning how to cook, eating much healithier than i ever would have!, learning a lot about self control, and discovering that i like whiskey.
gXf since november 1998

#10 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:38 PM

1. It makes me feel better!!!!!! (That's #1 for a reason!) :D
2. I learned how to make rice bread, and it's fun to have everyone taste it and get the "oohs" and "ahhs".
3. It makes me feel better.
4. I discovered Pamela's chocolate cocholate chip cookies.
5. I now have a legitmate diagnosis, instead of telling people I'm sicker than a dog, and them not believing a word of it (due to not knowing what is wrong).
6. I'm in a good mood, for the first time in at least a decade.
7. I get to read celiac3270's posts. (celiac3270, I thought you were at least 35 years old by all that wisdom revealed in your posts!!) ;)
8. It makes me feel better.
9. I am no longer a slave to breads and pastas.
10. Did I mention it makes me feel better? :lol:

Brenda
~Brenda

Celiac, gastroparesis, PCOD, heart problems, pacemaker.

Diagnosed 7-12-04 via bloodwork. Never had a biopsy, doc didn't think it was necessary (said I would know just by going gluten-free).

gluten-free two weeks after diagnosis (and my last bag of Oreos). :-)

#11 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:11 PM

It is easier to lose weight, since I can't eat all of the yummies that made me gain weight. It has also made my kids more aware of what they eat, so they eat better.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#12 lilliexx

lilliexx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:03 PM

Pamela's chocholate fudge cookies!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D ( the best cookies i have ever eatin in my whole life...and mt son agrees!!)
Gluten free since July 2004

I have made it one year and feel much much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:10 PM

I was going to say that it made me feel better but then I thought that was the result of going gluten-free not the reason for having it. But I like the fact that FINALLY I have a diagnosis after 55 years of searching. Feeling WELL is the real key in all of this for me. :P

#14 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:13 PM

I was going to say that it made me feel better but then I thought that was the result of going gluten-free not the reason for having it. But I like the fact that FINALLY I have a diagnosis after 55 years of searching. Feeling WELL is the real key in all of this for me. :P BTW, are In N Out french fries gluten-free? I guess they would be since that's ALL they cook (in addition to burgers.). WOW! I miss my french fries. Can you have a hamburger patty minus the bun? Please let me know and I'll be on my way to find one. LOL ;) What about their sauce? I'm off to do a search. <_<

#15 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 04:54 AM

Wow! Great thread! The number one positive thing it's done for me (the gluten-free diet that is) is make me feel great! I love going out and doing things now. I lost my problem with crowds. I play more with the kids. I just like to DO things now where in the past I never felt good so I was kind of a sidelines person.

I'm also REALLY interested in the tax thing. With four of us here eating gluten-free, the grocery bill has been a bit STAGGERING. Lol! (Okay, not to say it wasn't before, too. :D )

Also, is that chocolate cookie recipe on this site? :lol: (Off to search for it!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: