This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

The Good Life

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

Hey Gluten Free Friends!

Just an interesting idea...I was wondering, what everyone thought was the best part about being a Celiac? A plethora of answers is welcome!!!

Here are mine:

*I learned how to COOK!!! (and not only do I love to cook, I am in control--unlike at a restaurant.)

*We DO have food choices--and it's amazing how much they taste like the REAL thing!!!

*There are a lot of us out there going through the same predicaments!

*THIS SITE!!!

*THIS MESSAGE BOARD, AND THE PEOPLE HERE!!!

*You can still exercise!

*You can promote awareness--and change the way your fellow Gluten consumers look at ingredient labels!

*Wegmans!!!!

*There is still chocolate!

*Support Groups

---That's just a drop in the bucket.

Beat the Wheat (barley, oats, and rye),

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Definitely the incentive to try even more new ingredients in cooking.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Awwww! Plus we read lables and KNOW what we're eating!

kalo Rookie

I think the best part is all the new friends I've made. (behind on this board from feeling so good and enjoying life. :D )

Alexolua Explorer
Awwww! Plus we read lables and KNOW what we're eating!

Though I never look at calories, fat, etc.. too concerned about the other part of the label, LOL.

Good points Jill. Though I don't really like to cook, even now... argh! (I do though, lol)

Guest gfinnebraska

The thing I like is when I am at a function or someone's home & they offer me something that does NOT look appetizing... I can ALWAYS say, "Ummm, I'm sorry, but I can't eat that because of the gluten..." :) It also keeps unwanted calories down at holidays! PLUS, when at certain restaurants, the gluten-free version they make for me always looks nicer & bigger than the regular version! Bonus!!!

jendenise Rookie

First of all, GREAT idea! There are more positive aspects of this than I originally thought. For me atleast, I don't gain weight! therefore I got to go shopping for a whole new wardrobe! Also, the gluten-free food I buy is a tax write off! sound too good to be true? Well it's not. Gluten free food can be submitted for a tax write off so start keeping all receipts and take advantage! I'll find the correct info tonight and post it asap as a new post. Also, I've become friends with people I never would have known otherwise. Mostly though, I'm eating healthier, maybe not always by choice, but to keep from getting sick I have to, I don't get to eat a box of doughnuts, or a box of cookies when I want, because, doughnuts are difficult to find and cookies are expensive. One last thing, there are sights that say Celiacs Disease can cause irretableness. I have the BEST excuse ever when I'm snotty. "I can't help it, it's a disease!" Enjoy it if you gotta deal with it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pegster Apprentice

1. I can still eat chocolate

2. I can still eat at In N Out

3. I can Just Say No to Krispy Kreme (because I know what it does to me)

4. When I travel to Italy, the waiters treat me like I'm special and bring me delicious gluten-free meals including dessert!

5. I know what makes me sick and all I have to do is avoid it. No more surprises!! :D

astyanax Rookie

hmm i'd say learning how to cook, eating much healithier than i ever would have!, learning a lot about self control, and discovering that i like whiskey.

BRCoats Enthusiast

1. It makes me feel better!!!!!! (That's #1 for a reason!) :D

2. I learned how to make rice bread, and it's fun to have everyone taste it and get the "oohs" and "ahhs".

3. It makes me feel better.

4. I discovered Pamela's chocolate cocholate chip cookies.

5. I now have a legitmate diagnosis, instead of telling people I'm sicker than a dog, and them not believing a word of it (due to not knowing what is wrong).

6. I'm in a good mood, for the first time in at least a decade.

7. I get to read celiac3270's posts. (celiac3270, I thought you were at least 35 years old by all that wisdom revealed in your posts!!) ;)

8. It makes me feel better.

9. I am no longer a slave to breads and pastas.

10. Did I mention it makes me feel better? :lol:

Brenda

plantime Contributor

It is easier to lose weight, since I can't eat all of the yummies that made me gain weight. It has also made my kids more aware of what they eat, so they eat better.

lilliexx Contributor

Pamela's chocholate fudge cookies!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D ( the best cookies i have ever eatin in my whole life...and mt son agrees!!)

kalo Rookie

I was going to say that it made me feel better but then I thought that was the result of going gluten-free not the reason for having it. But I like the fact that FINALLY I have a diagnosis after 55 years of searching. Feeling WELL is the real key in all of this for me. :P

kalo Rookie

I was going to say that it made me feel better but then I thought that was the result of going gluten-free not the reason for having it. But I like the fact that FINALLY I have a diagnosis after 55 years of searching. Feeling WELL is the real key in all of this for me. :P BTW, are In N Out french fries gluten-free? I guess they would be since that's ALL they cook (in addition to burgers.). WOW! I miss my french fries. Can you have a hamburger patty minus the bun? Please let me know and I'll be on my way to find one. LOL ;) What about their sauce? I'm off to do a search. <_<

FreyaUSA Contributor

Wow! Great thread! The number one positive thing it's done for me (the gluten-free diet that is) is make me feel great! I love going out and doing things now. I lost my problem with crowds. I play more with the kids. I just like to DO things now where in the past I never felt good so I was kind of a sidelines person.

I'm also REALLY interested in the tax thing. With four of us here eating gluten-free, the grocery bill has been a bit STAGGERING. Lol! (Okay, not to say it wasn't before, too. :D )

Also, is that chocolate cookie recipe on this site? :lol: (Off to search for it!)

jendenise Rookie

Okay for the tax thing I just realized it's on the home page of Celiac.com, so... Scroll down towards the bottom under Celiac.com Site index, it's the 5th link from the bottom. Save all your receipts from stores, online purchases, etc... Just make sure you're very careful and honest with what you submit because they may audit you, and make sure that you were doctor diagnosed, not self proclaimed - which I doub't anyone sane would even consider. But I hope it helps!

babiesatemydingo Newbie

cheetos :)

BRCoats Enthusiast

Cheetos are gluten-free????? Yipee!!!!

:D

babiesatemydingo Newbie

hey go ahead pig out!

Open Original Shared Link

babiesatemydingo Newbie

word of caution though they are made on the same lines so there is a chance traces could get in there.Not for the super sensitive.

ponita Newbie

This thread has really made my day! It's been great reading everyone's positive words. I'm printing this off and keeping an ongoing list on my frig!

* Being gluten-free has really made me aware of my nutritional needs.

* I have lost some nagging unwanted pounds.

* I have decreased my joint pain by atleast 75%!

* My husband tells me my "restless leg syndrome" is not a problem as it used to be (I guess I would kick him so much it would wake him up.

* I have energy to take on more activites.

* I love having the extra couple of hours a day to enjoy instead of napping.

I'll keep thinking of more, thanks for the spark.

Melissa

Guest Lindam

:D I have to agree with what everyone has said so far, except for shedding all those unwanted pounds. How are you doing it? I lost 20 and I fell like I've gained some of it back and I don't want it!!!

The best things for me is the knowledge that I have gained, the "friends" I have made, and the encouragement from everyone to let me know I am not alone.

Linda ;)

Guest gfinnebraska
:( I hate to be the "party pooper," but Cheetos & Fritolay "say" they are gluten free, but if you check the label, they contain MSG = gluten. I have a major reaction after eating them. Sorry!!! They are one thing I really do miss... does anyone know of a good gluten free cheese curl?? Thanks!
FreyaUSA Contributor

Today, especially in the US, MSG is made with sugar cane or sugar beet. MUCH more cost effective to produce. Thus, Frito-Lay must be using non-gluten containing MSG in it's products if it is claiming to be gluten free. Sites I've read basically state if you're buying a product made in the US that contains MSG, it will be gluten free. But, do not assume the same for imports.

Guest gfinnebraska

Thanks for the MSG info. ~ Then I must just be very sensitive to the use of same lines to make gluten items. Bummer!! I can't eat any of their products without a serious reaction. :( I thought it must be the MSG... oh well. :blink:

Archived