This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Baby Shower

linds

linds Apprentice

ok, my best friend is pregnant and I am responsible for throwing the baby shower. I am extremely happy to do so but I have no idea what to do. I am only 21 as is she and I have only been to one baby shower in my life and it was amost 10 years ago. I was wondering if you guys could give me some good ideas on any part of throwing a baby shower. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

I threw 2 baby showers & a bridal shower lately and I'm currently pregnant so I might be able to help. The best thing to do is to pick a theme. I used Mommy's Lil Pumpkin (October baby) and Sweet Pea. If you go on Ebay you can get personalized invitations that are not very expensive. You can also get scratch-off cards to match the invitations. I did that and got real scratch-off lottery tickets as the prize for the game. They also have bingo games and other things to match the theme that aren't that expensive. For the pea shower I took a baby bottle that I got at walmart and filled it with little green jelly beans and we played count the peas. The person who was closest got the bottle full of jelly beans. I also got personalized memory books with the theme on ebay. Everyone loved these and people were able to write messages to the mom and I wrote down who gave her what gifts. I also took pictures and put the pictures in the book.

I did 2 games for each shower. I got a cake and had the local grocery store make it match the theme as well. I decorated with streamers and balloons to match the colors I picked and got matching plain-colored plates and silverware at the dollar store.

mroper Rookie

I threw a baby shower for my sister just a few months ago. We had a baked potato bar and salad, everyone was pleased even the non gluten-free people.... We had all of the toppings to choose from, cheese, sour cream, broccoli and cheese, chili, bacon bits and of course butter. It was a real hit and very easy to do! Good luck!

StrongerToday Enthusiast

We play a fun game at every shower (baby or bridal), for the baby shower go down the baby aisle at your store. Pick up some small items (pacificer, outlet plugs, nail clippers, boo-boo packs, etc. anythingyou like). Put each item in a paper bag and number each bag. Give everyone a piece of paper and a pen and have them number the page from 1 - 10 (or how many number of items you have). Pass the items around and everyone guesses just by feeling the bags (I always tape them shut). The mom-to-be opens the bags, keeps the cute goodies and the person who got the most right wins a prize!

this is good for bridal showers too - just use whatever theme you want (kitchen, bath, etc.).

RIMom Newbie

I'm doing one next week and yesterday I went to www.babyshower101.com. they had great games, favors and much more. we are all set now.

Good luck

linds Apprentice

thank you for all the ideas. I would love more suggestions if anyone has some.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Picking a theme is a great start, it can also help on the cost, you can get plain pink/blue colored napkins,plates, etc to match.

I really liked the potato bar idea, it is a healthy idea and everyone can make their own potato which allows for everyone to be happy.

Open Original Shared Link

This site looks nice and helpful.

ALso if you have any bulk paper stores in your area you and buy plates/napkins in bulk and get a discount.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

Tacos are another good, gluten-free meal that everyone can tailor to their own tastes. That what one of my friends did for her bridal shower.

May9 Rookie

This is a really cheap way for all the guests to get to know each other if they don't already. Just get a roll of toilet paper. Have each person roll of a line of toilet paper but don't tell them what it is for. Now after everyone has their toilet paper you tell them that for each piece of paper they have to tell something to the group about themselves. It's really fun, a good ice breaker and very cheap.

We also play a clothespin game. The first thing you do is put a clothespin on everybody who enters the door for the party. Then pick an "it". Like maybe if they cross their legs or say the word "Baby" or the Mother to be's name anything like that. You tell the guests the "it" and anyone who catches someone doing or saying the "it" that person gets the other persons clothespin. At the end of the party whoever has the most clothespins wins. We usually give small prizes like stationary sets or a box of chocolates.

We also play the envelope game.

Items needed: envelopes, buttons, needles, thread, and scrap fabric big enough to sew a button on

Seal a button, needle, piece of thread and fabric into each envelope before the party.

The game begins when you say go and everyone has to open their envelope and sew on the button to the fabric. The first one to sew the button on stops the game. The winner is actually the one who has opened their envelope the neatest and cleanest way but of course you don't tell the guests this before the game. This is usually a group decision.

Another good game I like is "draw the baby"

Everyone closes their eyes and is given a piece of paper and pen. They then have to draw a baby with their eyes closed. The closest one to actually looking like a baby is the winner.

You can also get some yarn and have everyone pull off a length that they believe will go around the mother to be's belly. Use an original piece of yarn already measured to the mother to be to check everyone's guess. The closest wins.

We also play the ad game. Put ads for baby or female items on a piece of paper. Hand everyone a copy of this paper and they have a certain amount of time (we usually choose 15-20 minutes depending on how many ads you have) to write down the item for each ad. For example, "Because you're worth it." the answer would be Loreal. The one to get the most wins.

Oh Boy, I didn't mean to write so much. I guess I've been to a lot of baby showers. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Archived