#16 wclemens

wclemens

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:44 AM

Hi,
It is interesting to see what everybody is eating these days. Thanks for sharing with us. I have had Celiac since the age of 8 and I am about to celebrate my 60th birthday in a few weeks. Only since eliminating almost all processed foods have I felt really great. For years I ate only meats, fruits, and vegetables, and that worked well, until the craving for sugar or ice cream became so overwhelming that I would totally blow all the good I had done by eating healthily for such a long time.
Now I have learned that my body can handle only a certain amount of carbohydrates (my family has a history of diabetes) so I have to limit fruits and vegetables as well. However, 7 years ago I discovered "The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet," by Richard and Rachel Heller, and now limit some carbohydrates to one hour a day, which limits insulin output.
It seems there are so many complex parts of good health, that it takes awhile to find out what works for each of us. What works for one doesn't always work for another.
I am less that five feet tall, and maintain my weight at about 105 pounds, and I feel full of energy and have a positive attitude, as long as I eat periodically, so I feel that I am finding out what works for me.
Thanks to each of you who shared what is working for you and how you are feeling at this stage of your recovery. Welda

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 strack2004

strack2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:46 PM

Hi., I am only into the diet for about 6 going on 7 weeks. I am using the "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" diet proposed by Elain Gottschall. I have the most trouble getting enough carbohydrates, as someone else mentioned, but am experimenting with various allowed kinds of beans like limas, baby and large, green beans, wax beans and purple beans (very good and prolific), romaine lettuce, carrots, am just trying out rutabegas, but think they are giving me gas, have been eating raw celery, but think I will try cooking it and just using a little in stuff., Beans probably give me gas, too, but it is hard to find things that don't do that.zucchini, and owinter squashes,can't eat potago tomato family.sed to eat yams and sweet potatoes, but they are not allowed on the SCD diet. I eat beef, but may quit that or limit it severly as my total cholesterol last Tues. was 260, on the high side. Triglycerides only 76, down from close to 300. The ldl has gone up , can't remember the amt. HdL was also up from last year, though. Dr. is talking about putting me on medication, which I don't want to do. Other foods I eat regularly are canned salmon and mackerel, pollock, eggs, (not often), olive oil, peanut butter, the healthy kind, pumpkin, turkey, chicken (skinned and defatted), bananas, cantalope, a pear now and then, am experimenting with mushrooms, honey (very little) have eaten a mango in thirds or fourths now and then. I also use apple cider. Sometimes it seems to quiet my abdominal pain, sometimes it annoys it. I am not very original in my cooking, but am learning. Cheers, Ruth

#18 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 02:07 AM

Coin Op/Cass,

It's great that you've found a diet solution for your celiac disease. My husband has had undiagnosed/misdiagnosed celiac disease for 26 years and under no circumstances can tolerate fruits, vegetables, soy and beans . Therefore, his only choices are plain meats & fish, dairy corn , rice, potatoes and other gluten-free starches - for now. He's only been diagnosed and gluten-free since 10/03. If he were lucky enough to have been diagnosed early like you, perhaps he would not have to be so dependent on what I described as his only choices. His survival is paramount and whatever has to be done we will do. The fact that he went so long mis-diagnosed is what prevents him from having a diet like yours.

I think the others on this site/board will agree with me, that there is no one gluten-free diet that is better than another. There should be no competition over diets, just a genuine desire to help each other get and stay healthly, to share information and to provide encouragement and empathy to one another during a time of crisis. There is no room for criticism or degrading of a fellow Celiac's gluten-free choice of food, whether it be eating out in a restaurant or at home - as long as it's gluten-free. If you feel that it's your place to "edumacate" us about the dangers of consuming animals, then you've chosen the wrong forum.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#19 Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*

Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:19 PM

Hey Deb!!

Amen. I'm with you. Do you think we forum members have scared Coin Op off? She hasn't posted since the 12th. Maybe she was banned from the site...

Take care,

#20 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:59 PM

Ruth: Beano is gluten-free/CF and really does work. I can enjoy all the gassy vegies and beans when I use those tablets. I really prefer low glycemic bean carbs to the gluten-free pasta, grains and pasta carbs, even though I've controlled my weight enough to not worry about carbs per se. Without beano I'd miss all those healthy vegies and bean carbs. :unsure:
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#21 Thomas

Thomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:02 PM

gluten-free is hard enough

#22 strack2004

strack2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 12:43 PM

Burdee and Others, I have not been diagnosed yet either, probably won't be. However, I decided that the diet is worth trying. At least it is a starting place for testing out various foods from a limited number. I will be spending less time tutoring at school this year, so will have more time to investigate and explore to find out what works and what doesn't , if indeed this is celiac or even food related. I haven't tried Beano for awhile. It's good to know that it is gluten-free, Burdee. I don't get alot of gas, but it does tend to get stuck, especially on the right side of my abdomen. The left side is mostly completely comfortable. I sometimes wonder if I have adhesions on the right side. When I had my gall bladder surgery, the surgeon said he had to cut through alot of tough adhesions. Trouble is that adhesions tend to grow back, and even new ones form with more surgery. I have had a hysterectomy and appendectomy. I find I am getting even more constipated with the gluten-free diet than I was before and that aggravates my burning that starts under my right center rib cage and spreads across my upper ab from there. The real sore spot is under my right center rib cage. I tend to change too many variables in my diet and otc stuff and then I don't know for sure what did what. Just now am bugged because my cholesterol came back with 178 for LDL. Triglycerides down, though to 76. Can't figure out about the LDL since I am not eating much fat at all. Maybe because I am not eating oatmeal? Anyone know of a source of gluten-free oatmeal? Or is oatmeal considered altogether non-gluten-free now? I do have more get-up-and go than I did pre gluten-free. Think maybe my mind is functioning a little better. Cheers! Ruth

#23 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 05:54 PM

One of the tricks I learned from dieting, for constipation take something like Metamucil before each meal. When you're not getting the grains like your system is used to, this will really help. It's just psyllium husks with flavoring and a little sugar. People swear by it.

Or, I've a great recipe for gluten-free flaxmeal pancakes/waffles that uses metamucil (or psyllium husks). Even my 15 year old thinks these are terrific. The flaxseed meal is also a terrific source for all kinds of vitamins, oils, etc. :)

#24 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 03:45 AM

Not much to add in the way of food, but just to let you know, coin-op hasn't been banned from the boards...2/3 warned, so close, but not banned...so this lack of posting was voluntary

#25 strack2004

strack2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 08:26 AM

FreyaUSA, Thanks for your constipation tip. Unfortunately, I had used Metamucil and Celucil, etc. for years previously without any change in my bowel pattern. I am beginning to think maybe I have adhesions in my right side. I seem to feel gas building up there, or pressure from stool collecting. No pressure or pain in my left side, but intense burning in right side. Getting rid of gas and stool seems to relieve the burning for a time, but it soon builds up again. I wonder if the pressure contributes, at least to this burning . I may try the psyllium again. Would like the flaxseed recipe. Thanks again!

#26 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 05:51 AM

I hope it's okay to post this here, but several people have asked for the recipe, so I thought this would be the place for them to find it.

Flaxmeal Pancakes or Waffles

You can fix these two ways, either by cooking like pancakes in a pan, the recipe makes three good sized ones (the benefit of this is that later in the day, if you have any left over, they make an alternative to bread for an open faced sandwich or something. The drawback to pancakes is that they do take quite some time to cook!) If you have a non-stick waffle maker (mine makes 4 waffles at a time) this recipe makes three (I just leave the fourth space empty OR triple the recipe and freeze the extras. They reheat in the toaster wonderfully.) Waffles are a lot quicker.

2 eggs
3 Tbs ground flaxseed (flaxmeal)
1 Tbs orange flavored Metamucil (or psyllium husks and 2 tsp sugar or sweetener)*
1 tsp baking powder

Whisk/stir till combined, let sit while preheating waffle iron or pans. It will thicken quite a bit.

Pour into an oiled skillet and brown on both sides or ladel into a waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer's directions.

Makes 1 generous serving.

*I know it sounds bizarre using Metamucil, but I really like the orange flavoring in the recipe and the time I made them without, my son noticed the difference and didn't like them as much. (So I just don't let anyone know I'm using it and it works out fine. Lol!)

--------------------

#27 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 09:50 AM

Ruth: I had (and occasionally still have) that right lower abdominal pain which also comes and goes with gas or stool passage. Prior to learning I had celiac disease, I started taking magnesium supplements to help with what I thought was constipaton (bloating, gas and occasional hard stools). Going gluten-free helped some, but avoiding DAIRY completely resolved irregularity and hard/floating/mucous coated stools. HOWEVER, I still try to eat lots of fiber from fruits, vegies and the higher fiber gluten-free breads, pastas and pastries. I really hesitate to use laxative/fiber supplements, since I'm already paying enough for digestive enzymes and probiotics. :o Many gluten-free breads, pastas, cookies, etc. are VERY low fiber (maybe they assume people with diarrhea don't need fiber?? :huh: ). Nevertheless, Ener-G foods has some relatively high fiber breads (Harvest, Corn Loaf and Brown Rice Sweet Potato English muffins). Meanwhile, I find that the longer avoid gluten/dairy/soy products, the less I notice any abdominal problems. I believe my abdominal pain (which felt like I had to 'go' but was constipated) really was related to damage from gluten/casein/soy reactions. After almost 5 months gluten-free and several months dairy free I now have MUCH less bloating and gas, only occasional twinges of pain and NO irregularity. So hang in there ... while avoiding the foods which your body has indicated you can't tolerate ... healing, after long undiagnosed celiac disease, takes time. ;)
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#28 strack2004

strack2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 10:51 AM

Burdee, Thanks for your good ideas. So far I am eating only the foods that I think I tolerate from Elaine Gottschalk's diet plan. My diet consists of meats: poultry (chicken and turkey), fish (pollock, canned salmon, haven't tried mackerel yet, eventually will check out tuna that doesn't have added ingredients. Says it is put up in water, but has this other stuff with it) , vegetables:romaine, celery, carrots, lima beans pureed, green beans, other dry beans prepared according to this diet plan, rutabagas, broccoli (not often), mushrooms, Fruits: bananas, cantalope, have tried mangoes, think they bother me. Yesterday I made a fruit salad with cantalope, bananas, canned pineapple in its own juice, 2 peaches. I had company. I also had brown rice for the first time since mid-August. The rice is allowed on most gluten-free diets, but not on the one I have been following. I suspect the raw celery may be giving me trouble. I also eat peanut butter, almond butter, honey (seldom) , olive oil for salad dressing. I am using Procreatin and acidophilus for digestive enzymes. I am almost out of Procreatin and the health food store didn't have any in last week. So I am cutting backon that until Thursday. I have been experimenting with lactase tabs and yogurt. That may be giving me extra trouble this week, also. I suspect I need to try eliminating one
I did have one day several weeks ago when I felt fairly good all day. I had driven to Mankato to try on shoes. Started out on an empty stomach since I was having my cholesterol checked. Had a banana and egg after my test. Then another banana and hard boiled egg at noon , I take along a cooler. Did not have any celery. But had had the day before. Can't remember what I had for supper, but apparently eggs and bananas don't bother me. At least not with an immediate reaction. . My main pain problem is the burning across my upper ab starting under right side of right rib cage. Gall bladder is gone. Bowel problem is mainly all or nothing. Have tried the past few days taking a tbsp of mineral oil and a tblsp of Milk of Magnesia at bedtime. That has produced stool each day so far, but clumpy and hard to pass. And the burning is much worse. I haven't eaten any bread or other baked goods not even those made of gluten-free ingredients, since my mid- August
"downfall" . I guess I have been trying to see that I get enough of the basic nutrients . I did add mushrooms lately. Thanks again, Ruth Any further ideas, esp. re the upper burning would be appreciated.

#29 strack2004

strack2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 10:54 AM

FreyaUSA, Thanks for the flaxseed meal recipe. It sounds like a good one! Ruth

#30 coin-op

coin-op

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:34 PM

coin-op = he :) I only visit this site a couple times a year, to check out celiac research.

Didn't mean to offend, my wording just sucks. I'm actually somewhat envious of celiacs that have all that freedom to enjoy the general celiac diet. A few people said each diet needs to suit the individual, which is true.

Wclemens, your diet sounds interesting, sort of like mine, except for the icecream
part. Occasionally my diet expands and contracts a bit, depending on what new things i might want to try.

My mother and sister have diets somewhat like the people on this board, except my mother cannot do the starches, rising agents, etc (baking powder, potato/rice starch, xanthan gum, etc).

I would like to know what more longtime celiacs are eating nowadays (ie 15+yrs celiac diet). I suspect that these diets get more strict as a person stays on the diet longer. I know of 2 other long time celiacs that have refined thier diets, out of necessity, like i have. For me, this refinement process started about 10 years back, esp with cooked meats, tuna, chicken and such. I grew lactose intolerant shortly after i got mono, about 14 yrs ago i think. The last 5 years have been very stable, with few refinements.

As far as being nutrient deficient and such, there is more poor diet and nutrition science going around then there is good. I always encourage people to search out the truth on such matters. It is always interesting once you get to it. I'll leave it at that :)

-c

btw, beano contains potassium sorbate, which I cannot have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: