50 replies to this topic

#31 cdford

cdford

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 12:26 AM

Life without potatoes, broccoli, or brussel sprouts would just not be life at all. I will just have to suffer if I shouldn't have them! I do limit the potatoes because of the starch, but a 32 oz bag of steamed broccoli is one of this family's favorite tv snacks...especially now that we can douse it in cheese again.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Nadtorious

Nadtorious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:32 AM

Good to hear from you again, coin-op! It's always nice to have the input of long-term celiacs on this site. While I've only been gluten free for 3 years, my diet is very similar to yours. Steamed lundberg rice, potato in small doses, most fruits, plain fish, eggs, vegetables, Bacardi and Smirnoff, and olive or peanut oils. Every 2 weeks or so I'll try introducing something new, usually without luck. I don't know how someone can become so hypersensitive, but I guess I can deal. No chapstick or such. I grind my own flour from rice and dried potato. I dry out fruit to make snacks and such. Make my own juice. I haven't felt this good since I was a kid, and the boys that I race with on the mountain bike team have even noticed-I'm faster than about half of them and can keep up with the rest now :lol: I just have a few questions-did you have straight up gluten reactions to things like meat and such? Or other intolerances? I am definetely intolerant to soy (different reaction than to gluten), but I've had gluten reactions to some of the strangest things. Also, specific brands you use?
Peace-
Nadia
Eat, drink, and be merry!

#33 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 12:08 PM

Lol! I would have said that life WITH brussel sprouts just isn't worth it! :-) I've hated those things since I was a kid. I'm with ya on the broccoli though. ;-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#34 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:43 PM

Ok, let's be fair. When I first read coin-ops post I was a little offended. Then I went back and read it, she had spelled educated wrong and I thought HA. Then I noticed she/he put a smiley face by it. I think her diet is lacking in many vitamins and maybe we can help her with a little variety. Remember each of us have adjusted in our own way. We all keep gluten out. And I for one am very thankful for all of you that have helped add variety and new things too my diet. There have even been many times that I have learned about new foods that are gluten-free. So coin-op welcome.
Forever the peacekeeper (or at least trying) B)
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#35 BellaSara

BellaSara

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:56 AM

Where is pastor dave? Too bad he is not a registered member. I need that recipe for gluten-free German Chocolate cake. My mother used to make it every year for my birthday and I don't know what I will do without it this year.

#36 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:49 AM

Actually, I think the "edumacated" part was a Homer Simpson. He throws "ma" in the middle of a lot of words, including "educated/edumacated" and "saxophone/saxamaphone."

At any rate, I am sorry to hear of such a limited diet but can understand the refining project. I keep finding more and more things that cause me problems when I eat them. I'm really tired of this process.

Fortunately, I can eat broccoli and the LOVELY Brussels sprouts (I always loved those, even as a kid!) Just can't be broccoli or veggies that are raw and rinsed in Fit or some other citric acid spray not listed on the package. I hope that one day (yeah right) all these additives will be listed on the package so people who actually spend time at home sick from work because of ingesting them can make informed choices.

Aargh, I better end this now because I feel a rant against food producers coming on...

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#37 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:17 PM

Just can't be broccoli or veggies that are raw and rinsed in Fit or some other citric acid spray not listed on the package.

:o Really? Oh no! What is "Fit" I eat a lot of 100% frozen veggies mixes. Would these have those additives in them?

Obviously any veggies could have traces of pesticides or preserving chemicals if they are not organic. And even orgain growers sometimes use pesticides, so I guess you can't get away from it. But, if we didn't have pesticides we would not have all the food in our grocery stores.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#38 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:03 PM

Mel and I have been talking about this on another thread - Fit and similar sprays have citric acid in them and citric acid is mainly made from fermenting a sugar with aspergillus niger, which is a mold. Many restaurants use sprays/rinses like these because they clean the veggies well and don't contain sulfites (illegal). I used to get sick after eating salad at some restaurants. One of them is Outback. I will be sick within 30 mins. I think it's an allergy for me but have not been tested.

Anyway, if interested, I just found a whole slew of foods that are made with aspergillus (various types) and funny thing is, I can't eat any of them without having some problem.

PRODUCTS OF ASPERGILLUS FERMENTATION:

SOY SAUCE
CHOCOLATE
TEA (BLACK)
MALT EXTRACT (MOST CEREALS)
LACTAID (MILK ADDITIVE)
SOME VITAMINS - SOLGAR AND JARROW brands ARE SAFE; MOST ARE NOT
CITRIC ACID (A VERY COMMON FOOD ADDITIVE; NOT DERIVED FROM CITRUS FRUIT)
SOFT DRINKS (Citric acid is made with the aspergillus fermentation process)
FRUIT JUICE (COMMERCIAL-OFTEN MADE FROM MOLDY FRUIT; MANY CONTAIN MOLD ENZYMES ADDED IN PROCESSING)
DIGESTIVE ENZYMES (PANCREATIC ARE ALRIGHT), OTHERS ARE NOT
CHOLESTEROL LOWERING ENZYMES
ACIDOPHILUS WITH F.O.S. (Acidophilus has very healing effects and promotes natural anti-fungals in the body, however, artificially produced F.O.S. is made with the aspergillus fermentation process.  If you would like natural F.O.S., you can consume watermelon seeds and reap the same nutritional benefits without any aspergillus fermentation).

http://www.mold-surv...20FERMENTATION:

I also read on another site that some sorts of ham are made with aspergillus. I always feel weird (stomach ache, headache) after eating ham. Black tea makes me feel very sick if I drink it a couple of days in a row, but green or white tea are fine with me. Last night I had a bunch of raspberries that were borderline moldy - I read today that aspergillus is the main mold on fruit and veggies. I have been sick since dinner last night - thought the salad we brought had a citric acid wash on it, but now I'm blaming the berries.

There is this one brand of organic veggie at the store that must use citric acid on the veggies (fresh, in the produce section) that gives me symptoms, too. Citric acid can be organic so I guess that is ok to use. Just depressing to me though that they don't have to list that stuff on the package.

So weird when something like this all falls into place...

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#39 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:21 PM

Oh wow, I did not know all that. Thanks for taking the time to explain :D
Carrie Faith

#40 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:28 PM

No problem. I'm kind of excited because it explains a lot of adverse food reactions I have. I hope it helps someone else, too, because I have not found a good site that puts it all together.

:) :) :)

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#41 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:31 PM

PS in case any of you were sad for me, chocolate does not seem to have an adverse effect on me. But I don't eat a ton of it and when I do I get the really good stuff (dark chocolate!!!) so maybe I'm avoiding some of the mold...

:D

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#42 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:44 PM

I've been on the diet 16+ years and find that my diet is expanding as more and more gluten free products come on the market. I did have issues with dairy early in the diet, but they sorted themselves out, although I find serving amounts is what is important. When introducing foods the serving amount needs to be very small and expanded as your body gets used to it.
Small discomforts tend to sort themselves out when the new food is tried several times. The cabbage family is pretty much avoided cooked, although I do use the cabbage family raw in salads. I find it is less gassy than when cooked, and the amount is small at a time.
I think when we try new things that we have been without for a long time we tend to get a little 'piggy' and run into problems that way. :D Especially with the lovely sugar products that have evolved in our stores over the years.
I was a few years ago having problems with some fruits, but can now go out and pick the plums, pears, apples and cherries in the orchard and make a pig of myself without problems. Strangely enough though, I only eat small amounts of the stuff I can and I use a very light syrup when doing so. I've never had any problems with the berry crops.
It really is very funny what we can and can't tollerate. I try everything Gluten Free often. If I can't tollerate it after four or five tries of tiny amounts, then I leave it for another year or so. Our bodies, I think do go through changes over the years. What you couldn't tollerate five years ago, may be okay if you introduce it very slowly again now. The problem may be giving up too quickly or taking too large a serving the first time out. :rolleyes:

#43 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:03 PM

I think when we try new things that we have been without for a long time we tend to get a little 'piggy' and run into problems that way.

:lol: That is so funny because I can so relate. LOL!
Carrie Faith

#44 aaascr

aaascr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:42 AM

Might explain why I'm allergic to most of the
items in the "moldy" list :D
alicia
been gluten-free 4 yrs.
too many food allergies to list!

#45 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:18 AM

Dear Coin-op:

I think most of us have put a lot of research into food and products that are gluten free. We are a support group and we have for the most part supported each other through many different things both good and bad.
We don't judge each other and try very hard to just be there to talk or whatever it is someone needs.
Maybe you didn't mean to come off as judgemental. Please don't judge us and we won't judge you.
We support you and would like to hear about your experiences. When were you diagnosed with celiac? Tell us about your experiences and what led you to become vegan?
Welcome to the board :D
Sally
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: