This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anal Bleeding?

melrobsings

melrobsings Contributor

Hi guys I'm at my whits end here and need some advise. Here is the short story.

I have celiac disease and 2 days after Christmas I started bleeding anally. The first day was about 3 tablespoons of bright red blood, the the 2nd was a tiny bit of the same. i went to the ER both days, they sent me home saying it wasn't a hemeriod and get a colon scope. i went in for the colon scope and they said before i went under that they were just going to look and not take any biopsies. When i woke up they said they did 2 biopsies. They came out fine.

I didn't bleed again until 2 days ago. It was bright red again and not that much the first day. The 2nd bright red and more. Today bright red mixed with dark red (they told me that's not good) and more.

I feel fine. i haven't gone back to the ER cause they said "don't come back until you have more then 1/2 a cup come out of you." Alas it's the weekend and my doctor is MIA, same with the scope doc.

Has anyone else had this? Does anyone know a great scope doctor in the NYC area? I'm so so so fed up and more irritated then fear at this point. Any advice?

Thanks guys, you all have helped me so so so much lately. I have been reading a lot on here and it's nice to know others go through what i go through with this and yall have answered tons of questions and addressed issues i have too.

Thanks.

MelRob.

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Internal hemorrhoids near the anus could cause this bleeding. I sometimes get it, and it's from hemorrhoids, but mine are quite obviously on the outside as well. Since you had the scope and biopsies which showed no cancer I presume, I think hemorrhoids are likely to blame.

Maybe it's time for you to go and get a second opinion, just to be safe.

Mtndog Collaborator

I think Ursa's probably right. My hubby has internal hemorrhoids and has this happen from time to time.

I know Columbia is renowned for its celiac center.

Hope you're OK.

jerseyangel Proficient

I have internal hemmorhoids (found during colonoscopy), and have a small amount of blood, usually just on the toilet paper, from time to time.

I agree with speaking to your doctor about it again, just to set your mind at ease. This is something you want to be sure about ;)

jhun Rookie

Hi Mel, the same thing happened to me before being diagnosed with celiac. I don't know if it has something to do with celiac. The first time I had bleeding I immediately saw a GI doctor and had a colonoscopy done, he diagnosed me with internal hemorrhoids but he said it is only grade 2 and he showed me in the colonoscopy video which seems to be just like a scratch and not real hemorrhoids at all. I get the bleeding when I have D instead of C. My bleeding stopped for 3 months and came back again, so I decided to see another GI doctor who also did a colonoscopy and saw nothing but scattered erythema and diagnosed me with chronic non-specific colitis. While consulting a 3rd GI doctor (the one who diagnosed me with celiac) I told him of the bleeding, he did a digital rectal exam and told me that he felt no mass and he saw no fissure. This remained like a mystery to me but I'm still looking for answers and I am discussing it with a 4th GI doctor who did my endoscopy for celiac.

hershey Newbie

I've had this too and went racing to the ER in a panic- literally. After colonscopy, GI doc told me I was totally clean but had a few small internal hemmorhoids. That was last summer. It's happened a few times since, and I've narrowed it down to times when I do long runs. For me, I don't think it has anything to do with celiac disease. Are you a runner or do heavy weight training? It seems to be fairly common for distance runners and is known as "runners bleed."

melrobsings Contributor

Thanks so much for everything guys. The doctors have rules hemriods out.....so now i'm back to square one.....and if i could only get a damn doctor to call me back!!! agrhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Thanks so so so much for all the info!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 6 years later...
BKJ Newbie

I also have this occasionally, usually after I eat something I shouldn't and have a difficult bowel movement and upset stomach. Then it goes away for awhile and when I get constipated, and strain, it happens again. I have Celiac disease but am not always careful. Also have hemorriods.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi BKJ,

I get it from eating dairy.  Gluten also but not since I went gluten-free.  It took about 9 months for my constant gut pain to go away after going gluten-free.  Being careful, or rather just being sure you aren't getting nay gluten is very  important for your healing.  The auto-immune process doesn't need much gluten to kick up a storm of antibodies.  And they don't instantly stop attacking when you stop eating gluten.  The damage keep keep going on for weeks or months.  Even if you don't feel it.  So a little bit of exposure every other week means the autoimmune attack is going full time.  Learning to eat gluten-free is not something that happens overnight though.  It can take some time to understand how to avoid gluten and how to eat differently.  We are here to help you if you'd like. We have all been down that road ourselves after all.  It may have been a little bumpy at times but we made it. :)

• 4 years later...
LookingForANewPlanet Newbie

Like GFinDC, if I eat something I shouldn't I might get pain and red blood on the tp for a week. It's really easier just to not eat any wheat! (Or broccoli!)

Ennis-TX Grand Master
2 hours ago, LookingForANewPlanet said:

Like GFinDC, if I eat something I shouldn't I might get pain and red blood on the tp for a week. It's really easier just to not eat any wheat! (Or broccoli!)

This is a older post from 5+ years ago, if your having this issue perhaps start a new thread for yourself.
I will say the red blood on the TP is not upper digestive tract (this would be tarish) but lower like the colon. If you have red blood on your stool, TP, I would get a colonoscopy, if yours flares to gluten also, then it sounds like Ulcerative Colitis/Colitis. This commonly flares to gluten, dairy, soy, alcohol, spices, etc. And in some cases like mine it can flare to sugars like glucose and fructose. -_- there are prescriptions to prevent flares, but the best thing I have found was taking marshmallow root and slippery elm along with aloe Vera twice daily.

• 1 month later...
beemerw Rookie

I have been tracking food and my sensitivities..I have Hashimoto’s and you know docs..they tend to not test..you have to tell them..I asked for a gluten sensitivity test..I am 99.9% gluten sensitive, yet the doc says I have a choice to eat gluten..no..This bleeding happens..HERE IS MY DISCOVERY

ITCHING, BLEEDING IS NOT HEMERRHOIDS UNLESS YOU SEE THE HERRHOIDS..Trust me..Sensitivities to hidden gluten causes this sensitivity..grains have corn hidden..that does not metabolize right..soy unless it is soy lecithin..dairy they say can be possibly casein or the actual antibiotics the cows get..so look up the list of hidden gluten in processed food..Eating..my eating is what I can promounce, but I know I cannot have corn because I react and I watch my reactions..if you are reacting too much you can either journal your food or do an elimination diet like Sarah Ballantyne’s wonderful book outlines and includes all this info..The Paleo Approach..Celiac is an Autoimmune condition..Paleo, or Paleo Autoimmune..or even gaps diet is good..elimination for 2 good months then add again 1 thing at a time and watch your body..bone broth can help heal..I am not saying cure, I am saying heal your gut lining and repair so you are not as sensitive..Does not hurt to try..Coffee is a seed and can effect you as well..it is good to stop for a minute..and stress does not help..

Archived