20 replies to this topic

#1 GeoffCJ

GeoffCJ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:15 PM

I found some stuff online that seemed to indicate that cottage cheese was not gluten-free, but other things that indicate it is. I couldn't see anything on the ingredient list....

What do you guys think?

Geoff
Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006
Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:12 PM

Depends on the brand and what they put in it. Many use modified food starch. Yuck! Always read the ingredients. Here I could get a brand called Alpine Rose from the milk man. No modified food starch. Can't remember the name of the brand I bought on the east coast.

#3 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:15 PM

Breakstone's cottage cheese is gluten free even though it lists modified food starch as an ingredient. It's made by Kraft. Kraft will never hide gluten on a label. I'm eating some right now. :)
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#4 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:07 PM

I love Long Island, but New York does not know how to make good cottage cheese. :P In Michigan I used to eat, Pairie Farms, Michigan, Country Fresh, and Kroger brand cottage cheese. We have Breakstone here, yet I do not really like it, Pathmark is ok, Friendship brand is another that is gluten-free, but I do not like it, Shoprite brand is probably the one I like best, yet I still prefer Kroger brand--no Krogers here. I do not ever buy cottage cheese that states modified food starch unless it is Kraft.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#5 GeoffCJ

GeoffCJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:26 PM

I love Long Island, but New York does not know how to make good cottage cheese. :P In Michigan I used to eat, Pairie Farms, Michigan, Country Fresh, and Kroger brand cottage cheese. We have Breakstone here, yet I do not really like it, Pathmark is ok, Friendship brand is another that is gluten-free, but I do not like it, Shoprite brand is probably the one I like best, yet I still prefer Kroger brand--no Krogers here. I do not ever buy cottage cheese that states modified food starch unless it is Kraft.

Hmm. well neither of the two brands I have list Modified Food Starch, nor anything that jumps out at me as a problem. I guess I'll keep eating it.

Geoff
Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006
Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

#6 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:20 PM

Geoff,
If you have any more questions about it, feel free to list the ingredients on the label and we can help give you a more definitive answer. :)
Laura

#7 newg

newg

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:14 PM

Walmart's Great Value Brand is gluten-free!

#8 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:44 PM

I've never seen a cottage cheese that wasn't gluten-free so the odds are that yours is, too. As always, you have to call and check, but it's probably going to be ok.
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#9 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:21 PM

Friendship! That's the brand I bought. I liked it. I can't stand any kind with modified food starch in it. No matter the source.

#10 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:59 PM

..... I can't stand any kind with modified food starch in it. No matter the source.

.....I do not ever buy cottage cheese that states modified food starch unless it is Kraft.

jb & db25,

Would you please elaborate on what kind of reaction/symptons you have experienced from modified food starch. I'm trying to form an opinion on this additive. Thank you so much.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#11 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:14 AM

Larry, I never eat anything that states modified food starch unless it is from a company such as Kraft, which always states the allergens. Modified food starch can be made from wheat, so when in doubt, I do not touch it. Some people feel that modified food starch is safe now that we have the new allergen laws in effect, but some companies are still not listing the allergens on the labels, until the law is policed, then I will not touch modified food starch. Therefore, I do not have a reaction to tell you because I do not use it. Sorry.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#12 ShannonM

ShannonM

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

I received the following from Creamland Dairies in Albuquerque, NM about their cottage cheese and other gluten free products as of 3/13/09

"Thank you for your inquiry. Creamland Cottage Cheese products are gluten free. The other Creamland products that are gluten free include:

Fluid milk products
Sour Cream and Dips
Whipping Cream
Half & Half
Eggnog

I feel so appreciative when companies respond to a gluten inquiry!

Shannon

#13 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:13 AM

"Modified food starch can be made from wheat, so when in doubt, I do not touch it. Some people feel that modified food starch is safe now that we have the new allergen laws in effect, but some companies are still not listing the allergens on the labels, until the law is policed, then I will not touch modified food starch"

Please note that this information is absolutely wrong. I've seen no evidence that companies are not listing allergens, except perhaps on very rare mistaken occasions.

richard

#14 emcmaster

emcmaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

I eat Daisy 2% on a daily basis without any problems
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

#15 brigala

brigala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

I appreciate that Darigold actually marks their Cottage Cheese as gluten-free. So I buy that brand. I know most Cottage Cheeses are gluten-free, but I like the guesswork taken out of it for me. Call me lazy, I'll admit it!

They also mark their chocolate milk and several other dairy products as gluten-free. I don't know how widely available Darigold is... there are a lot of brands listed in this thread I've never heard of. Seems like dairy companies are often local or regional.

My favorite Cottage Cheese, which is also gluten-free, is Nancy's. But I know that's not widely available outside of Oregon; it's only in health-food stores in my area, but it's in every store near my mom's house.

-Elizabeth

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: