- - - - -

Maltodextrin

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jokamo_*

Guest_jokamo_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:59 PM

Hello! I have been gluten free for a week now and I am just wondering about maltodextrin? Is this malt?

Jodi

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GeoffCJ

GeoffCJ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:15 PM

Hello! I have been gluten free for a week now and I am just wondering about maltodextrin? Is this malt?

Jodi

Check out the "forbidden"list linked here. I've found it invaluable as I've been learning. My wife and I have a copy on the fridge, and take a copy to the grocers with us!
http://www.celiac.co...ml?p_prodid=185

Here is what it says about Maltodextrin

* 8) Maltodextrin is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of corn starch or potato starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes. (1) Maltodextrin, when listed on food sold in the USA, must be (per FDA regulation) made from corn or potato. This rule does NOT apply to vitamin or mineral supplements and medications. (2) Donald Kasarda Ph.D., a research chemist specializing on grain proteins, of the United States Department of Agriculture, found that all maltodextrins in the USA are made from corn starch, using enzymes that are NOT derived from wheat, rye, barley, or oats. On that basis he believes that celiacs need not be too concerned about maltodextrins, though he cautions that there is no guarantee that a manufacturer won't change their process to use wheat starch or a gluten-based enzyme in the future. (3) - May 1997 Sprue-Nik News
1. Federal Register (4-1-96) 21 CFR. Ch.1, Section 184.1444
2."Additives Alert", an information sheet from the Greater Philadelphia Celiac Support Group, updated early in 1997. This specific information comes from Nancy Patin Falini, the dietitian advisor for the group and a speaker at a national celiac conferences in the past few years.
3. From the CELLIAC Listserv archives, on the Internet, Donald D. Kasarda, posted November 6, 1996.
Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006
Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

#3 Guest_jokamo_*

Guest_jokamo_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:38 PM

Geoffcj.
Thanks for the info. I printed the list and will take it everywhere with me.

Jodi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: