This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Common Cold Prior To Diagnosis

amarieski

amarieski Apprentice

I had a question that just kind of dropped in my head this morn out of nowhere. Im newly diagnosed and only on day 4 of this gluten free stuff, but I want to know if anyone before diagnosis and diet change had a cold or other viral thing that debilitated them or made them not able to function like a normal person couldor should with a cold. The reason I ask this is Im wondering If I were to get sick with a gluten free diet would I not be stuck in bed like usual with what feels as if Im dying. I guess what Im trying to say is, every time Ive gotten sick Ive needed help taking care of my child/house etc, I get slammed at the slightest cold! Since anyone has been on this diet for a bit and gotten a cold or say bronchitis is it easier to handle along with a norml routine of child caretaking and housecleaning . Not sure how else to describe or ask.

Dee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

Every year I would get a cold in November. It would quickly turn into bronchitis. I would be on several antibiotics, steriods and be sick for several months. This happened for as long as I can remember.

This winter is my first gluten-free and I didn't get sick! I do have a cold now but it is so mild that it doesn't even bother me. My husband has the same cold so I know it is a cold and not allergies or something else, but I don't feel bad at all. I am pregnant and I know that when I've been glutened I don't feel so bad so I'm not sure if this cold isn't really affecting me because my immune system is in low drive because of the pregnancy or if I'm so much more healthy now that I can fight it off and not get very, very sick.

So, I would say there is hope. I think that if we feel better from being gluten-free it is easier to handle something like a cold. Whereas if your body is already a mess from eating gluten maybe something like a cold is just too much for it to handle.

amarieski Apprentice

thankyou thats exactly what I was talking about! I feel a little better knowing that its possible I will be able to handle a sickness better, I assume wont be able to tell for sure until I get sick, but i already feel minor differences on this diet on day 4 so I think its a good sign.]

Dee

Guhlia Rising Star

After about a year gluten free my colds started lessening in severity. I used to be flat out on my back with a cold, now I function pretty well with it. Now everyone else seems to get hit worse than I do. It is SO nice not to always be the sick one. I've also noticed that I get colds a lot less than I used to.

Willow5 Rookie

I did a gluten chalenge period this winter of about 5 weeks, I had a "cold" the whole time, when I went gluten-free again my "cold" cleared up within 2 days

gfp Enthusiast
I did a gluten chalenge period this winter of about 5 weeks, I had a "cold" the whole time, when I went gluten-free again my "cold" cleared up within 2 days

I know what you mean.... everytime I get glutened I get "a cold" .. only often when noone else has...

I now look back at pre-gluten-free days and actually wonder if I ever really got a cold most of the time?

Its amazing how much the bodies autoimmune reactions are similar....

amarieski Apprentice

whats also strange for is this morning for the first time in a extremely long time, I woke not to blowing nose , very odd for me. Usually blamed on electric heat....... like I said only on day 4 gluten free but a minor difference that is a relief. However from some reason unless its withdrawal, I had a diet coke and felt miserable about 20 minutes later starting to feel better now only 1 1/2 hours later unsure of that one but I have read that others may be sensitive to the coloring. Ill probably avoid this maybe try diet coke again in a few weeks and stick to sprite. Not a big soda fan anyway so itll be alright.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pinkgirl Newbie

Hello Dee,

I have been on the gluten free diet for over 3 years now and have barely had a cold since. Before the diet I was sick all the time, I had mononucleiosis (sp?), bronchitis, everything, I felt like I was sick and constantly tired all winter long. I noticed a change my first winter gluten free and it has been improving every year since. The few colds I have gotten have been short, painless colds...I haven't missed a day of work yet! You should look forward to less severe colds when you follow the strict diet! Another benefit in the not so easy gluten free diet.

Good Luck!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I wonder if what you are describing might be due to classic American "comfort foods" that we tend to eat when sick: noodles, pasta, toast, crackers, etc. Even our chicken soups tend to have noodles, matzah balls, dumplings, etc.

Before I was diagnosed, I spent every day of 3 pregnancies vomiting, because I did what the doctor said and tried to munch on crackers from the minute I woke up--and I could never keep them down.

amarieski Apprentice
I wonder if what you are describing might be due to classic American "comfort foods" that we tend to eat when sick: noodles, pasta, toast, crackers, etc. Even our chicken soups tend to have noodles, matzah balls, dumplings, etc.

Before I was diagnosed, I spent every day of 3 pregnancies vomiting, because I did what the doctor said and tried to munch on crackers from the minute I woke up--and I could never keep them down.

Oh My God! thats right also! I didnt even think of that but even when not pregnant also. I dry heaved my whole 9 with my daughter and in between this pregnancy I dropped weight (20) without trying tired, migraines ugh you name it. I didnt gain that much weight with her but luckily she is fine, Im 29 weeks though starting this, and the first 14 I was deathly sick, not just morning sickness every other few hours sickness and to date Ive only gained 2 but my son inside is fine thank goodness. I lost in the start of this one, luckily not too much but it hasnt been easy gaining either. At first the reply i got was, maybe your just not one to gain weight, and low and behold, they figured out what my rash Ive had off and on for 3 years was ( dh ) or what they thought it looked like at least, they cant biopsy my skin bc Im pregnant. So they did the blood for celiac which I pushed for once I heard of dh and looked that up realizing it was related to celiac disease!

I did go through what many here have, many common misdiagnoses like ibs, fibro, miscarrige, name it Im infested with it. GLad I dont have to name off that list anymore all I got to say is celiac disease lol. Now my doctors wont look at me like a hypocondriac!

Dee

AmandaD Community Regular

Dee- I've been diagnosed with Celiac for about a year and a half now. I wanted to write about my experience...

Before I was diagnosed I would get breast infections (nursing a baby) and every cold would turn into horrible sinus infections. I also generally felt run down. I always remarked that I thought I had crappy immunity.

Honestly, I've barely had a cold to sneeze at in the past year. Things heal faster. I can only attribute this to a stronger immune system...I feel like my immune system isn't working overtime anymore...if you know what I mean...

I hope that helps - AmandaD

I had a question that just kind of dropped in my head this morn out of nowhere. Im newly diagnosed and only on day 4 of this gluten free stuff, but I want to know if anyone before diagnosis and diet change had a cold or other viral thing that debilitated them or made them not able to function like a normal person couldor should with a cold. The reason I ask this is Im wondering If I were to get sick with a gluten free diet would I not be stuck in bed like usual with what feels as if Im dying. I guess what Im trying to say is, every time Ive gotten sick Ive needed help taking care of my child/house etc, I get slammed at the slightest cold! Since anyone has been on this diet for a bit and gotten a cold or say bronchitis is it easier to handle along with a norml routine of child caretaking and housecleaning . Not sure how else to describe or ask.

Dee

AllysonBrightMeyer Rookie

This was an issue that got better for me almost immediately (I have only been gluten-free for barely over a month.) I have always struggled from getting colds/blahs that wipe me out.

I'd miss work, everyone would always tell me that "it's just a cold, everyone goes to work with a cold." I'd be in bed all day, day after day, no one "got it."

I had a cold about a week after being gluten-free, I took my DayQuil, went to work, and WOW. So that's what it's like, not so big a deal. Just felt a little blah, otherwise got through my day.

It was a nice relevation in the midst of everything.

BridgetJones Rookie

I have been gluten free for 3 years now. I was the same when I got a cold I was absolutely wiped out. I think it might be the anaemia as well that your body cann't cope with a cold on top of everything else. You'll be glad to know that I very rarely get a cold now which I'm delighted about.

Jo.R Contributor

It may not have anything to do with Celiac. When I was in my teens and twenties I would get colds that would knock me out, but as I've gotten older they have become almost nothing. I can't imagine trying to take care of kids with the colds I use to get, but I had my kids in my early thirties and my colds don't slow me down much (unless I want them too ^_^ ). I hope the diet or age will help, I don't envy you. Also, I started using hand sanitizer every time time I leave a store or bathroom, and make my kids use it to, we have gone from getting colds every month to two since Sept.

Good Luck!

amarieski Apprentice

It helps alot to hear what you guys went through and how it felt, sheds some light on my situation anyway even if its not due to celiac............just knowing it can get better. Very irritating to feel like your alot older than you are and its not going to change. Hopefully being gluten-free after some time will help heal some issues Ive been having!

Archived