This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Gain

Guest gfinnebraska

LqrMan Newbie

When I was diagnosed with celiac 6 yrs ago, I was 17 and 5'10'' tall, but weighed a measely 121 lbs (that was my lowest). Throughout my life, I was always thin and had the most difficult time gaining weight. It was amazing that I actually grew so tall as now I am 6'2'' (everyone keeps saying I look taller every time I see them) and weigh around 180-185lbs now. I have also tried to work out for a while with very slow results, but lately it seems like my body is developing decent muscle. It really is amazing what can happen when you start absorbing the food you take in! By the way, I eat roughly 4,000 calories a day just to maintain my weight...haha! :P

• 1 year later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ErinB Newbie

:angry:

I can totally understand your frustration. I was diagnosed with Celiac in Sept and still have not figured out what I can and cannot eat. I look like I am 4 months pregnant and that is no exaggeration. Pretty much everyday!! I am growing very depressed over this and no doctor seems to be able to help me. The only time I feel good about myself is if I don't eat, then my stomach is down somewhat - and that has to be for a day or so! I hate all the gluten free food that I have tried, it is gross. I try to just do without rather than eat something I don't like. So I never eat breakfast, and I eat far too much red meat - what other options do I have. I eat chips and candy alot - its a quick fix! Does anyone have any suggestions, perhaps I should not eat out? I really am trying but its just really getting to me. :(

• 11 months later...
keppierce Newbie
Yeah...I have weight gain problems, but probably not for the reasons one might expect. I can and have gained weight on the gluten-free diet, but it's difficult for me to gain more in part because I get sick so often (resulting in a 2-5 pound drop) and also, my doctor is telling me to avoid fat! :lol: Lol...how do you gain weight without fat? I really crave all the fatty foods, too, but I have been slowly gaining and my primary concern is with my symptoms right now.

I had issues with getting sick too. It is common for celiacs to have candida yeast overgrowth because the disease takes a toll on your immune system. I took FIVELAC to get rid of candida and I stopped getting sick. You can get some detox symptoms in the beginning, but it is worth it. Here is a good site to get more info on candida: Open Original Shared Link They are very helpful. They even give you good tips on dealing with the detox symptoms.

I hope this helps you.

keppierce Newbie
I definately don't understand why I am gaining weight. It seems like simple mathmatics to me.... don't take in many calories and have your body burn more than what you take in and you lose weight. That has been the most disappointing and frustrating part for me. I am the healthiest eater and don't eat more than 1200 calores daily, but can't get weight off!!!!!!!!!! To top it all off, I am a college basketball player at a division 2 school, so definately getting enough exercise!!

See my post about Candida Yeast. This could be your weight gain problem. It is common for Celiacs to have overgrowth.

• 1 year later...
saltuscanfoster Newbie
Just a question... Are there very many of you out there that are like me in that you gain weight when eating gluten? I can instantly swell 10 lbs. over night after eating something with gluten. It is NOT a fun thing!! :o I read a lot of weight loss issues, but wonder how many are like me... weight gain issues! I only lose when I am totally gluten free ~ which takes a while. :( Just curious!! Thanks for the feedback.

NOt sure if I am doing this correctly or not but .. here is my first post in response to the above guery. I also find I lose weight when not eating breads, pastas etc.. I retain alot of fluid and do not feel well physically or emotionally.. not as well as when I do when I eat meats, veg. , fruits, fish, and dairy etc... I seem to retain much more fluid when eating those foods with gluten. Also it could be that many gluten foods.. normal breads and pastas have alot of sodium now too. Good to know I am not alone and am just starting in thinking and working to avoid gluten.. I think for sure I do have sensitivities to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Chuck8268 Rookie
When I get glutened I don't think I actually gain weight but I look like I do, I get so bloated up I look like I'm pregnant, its awful.

As far as gaining weight because you don't like the food you can eat, you should try more gluten-free stuff at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or off the internet. I've found replacements for almost everything I thought I couldn't have.

Trader Joe's sells something they call umm french bread muffins or something, they look like a thick english muffin. you can have a big thick hamburger on that. I actually stick one in my purse and then at my local hamburger haven I order the thick hamburger with no bun. When it comes I whip out my own bun and eat my burger that way.

I'm having problems with eating out too.... its hard without a doubt. And as I've said before I come from a family that puts food above a whole lot of things, every thing we do is food centered (and no one is overweight, fyi). I have 2 restaurant critics in the family! I use to eat out at least 4 times a week. Now since October when I found out I have to be gluten-free I've not gone out too often... I have a few places I can go. But that's what I miss by far the most about all this... my family and friends go out and I can't or don't. I want more places to eat out (Santa are you listening?)

Susan

Ive personaly found out FAMILY is th worst discriminators!!!!!!!!

Chuck

• 6 months later...
cabluvsmkm Newbie

Does anyone have a problem gaining weight? Initally I lost about 25 pounds and seem unable to gain weight. I am 5'7" and only weight 115 pounds. I can't seem to put the weight on. I think it may be due in part to not really liking the food I can eat. I also feel that I don't have the energy to make the foods I can have. I really miss being able to just go out and eat something, like a big juicy hamburger. Any thoughts you may have would be appreciated.

I actually lose weight as well the most i have lost at a time was 10 pounds in 3 to 4 days! lol but hey you can have a hambuger just can't have the bread try a hardees low carb burger! lol just watch the condements!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 6 months later...
rsupergirl Newbie

I found out I have Celiac Disease about a month and a half ago. I thought i had an ulcer. for the past year and a half i have been having major issues with being constipated and gaining a ton of LBS. I am the heaviest i have ever been. I was not able to loose anything before and i am hoping that as soon as my intestins heal i will be able to loose some LBS. Does anyone know how long it takes for your intestines to heal. What to expect and all of that?

Coolclimates Collaborator

I've gained about 7 pounds (more or less) since going gluten free 4 months ago. I worry that I will continue to gain weight. I try to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, but they just don't fill me up like carbs do. I also have constant cravings for carbs and sweets. I'm not sure if I'm gaining weight because I'm getting glutened, so far I haven't noticed any symptoms if I accidentally eat gluten. But I'm worried that I'll keep gaining weight.

Archived