This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Did Something Stupid....

JerryK

JerryK Community Regular

Sigh...severe rookie mistake....

I fell for the label on one of those specialized loafs of breads..."spelt, a natural alternative to wheat".

Spelt was one of those grains that I remember being on one of those "safe grain" lists..right?..right!.(these are the voices in my head at the store)

I was so proud of "my find" and I raced home and made a piece of toast to check it out. Damn it tasted good for "gluten free bread".

THEN I decided to look in "Gluten Free for Dummies"(which I was) the author lists spelt as a sneaky "alias for wheat". Crap did I feel foolish.

That sucker shot thru me like a greased pig at the county fair...

Let the chastising begin!! B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chocolatelover Contributor

Hey, don't beat yourself up too badly...I had to ask a friend who is a veteran at this gluten free stuff, because I had read mixed things about spelt. I think it's an honest mistake, and you certainly will never forget it!! I figure every mistake we make like this is just one more to put down as a good old fashioned learning experience. :lol:

jerseyangel Proficient

Yea, they put on the label that it's an "alternative to wheat" because some people with an allergy to wheat can safely eat it.

It's not safe for us, though :(

You live and learn ;)

JerryK Community Regular
Yea, they put on the label that it's an "alternative to wheat" because some people with an allergy to wheat can safely eat it.

It's not safe for us, though :(

You live and learn ;)

Yah...glad I only ate one slice....it seems like my body is more sensitive to it now....

hits the reject button in a hurry...

Ursa Major Collaborator

I hope you feel better soon! Anyway, you'll never forget that spelt is wheat, I'm sure.

I went to a health-food store in Florida a year ago, and told the sales lady that I have celiac disease and wanted to buy some flour I could use. She told me that spelt was safe for celiacs! Fortunately, even though I wasn't sure then, I also wasn't convinced it was safe, and didn't buy it. Good thing, too. I wonder how many people are misled by that lady.

Slackermommy Rookie

I did a stupid thing today too. I know the chickens at Sam's Club are gluten free, and today they had ribs out. No label like the chicken though. The guy who runs the meat dept was right there, so I asked if they were gluten free too.

He asked some other guy to check the package, and he came back and told me it was gluten free and yeast free too.

I believed him.

So my slamming headache and nausea are either from them or the GI bug that is going around.

I am starting to realize that people will say something IS gluten free if they aren't sure, instead of saying that they aren't sure.

Sigh.

JerryK Community Regular
I hope you feel better soon! Anyway, you'll never forget that spelt is wheat, I'm sure.

I went to a health-food store in Florida a year ago, and told the sales lady that I have celiac disease and wanted to buy some flour I could use. She told me that spelt was safe for celiacs! Fortunately, even though I wasn't sure then, I also wasn't convinced it was safe, and didn't buy it. Good thing, too. I wonder how many people are misled by that lady.

You are right..spelt is ingrained in my memory. Funny thing is, I don't get much symptoms...

just whoooomp and it's outta here. My body doesn't even bother with cramps or anything <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Jerry:

Ya sure you ain't a Southern Boy. We sure have alot of greased pigs down here. We catch'em and cook'em.

When I left the city and moved here where my husband grew up, we were invited to a Pig Pick'in.

I asked what was that, and said "I don't think sooo"!! Ever been to a Turkey Shoot? I thought they shot turkeys.

Never-the-less, the learning curve is steep. We'll keep you on track. Hope you feel better by Saturday.

Lisa

Ruth52 Newbie

I was also caught with the Spelt bread thing. I just wanted to have a piece of toast and I thought I had made the best find of my life.

Unfortunately for me it was only after the second piece that the folly of my eating really hit me - never again!

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Ruth

JerryK Community Regular
Jerry:

Ya sure you ain't a Southern Boy. We sure have alot of greased pigs down here. We catch'em and cook'em.

When I left the city and moved here where my husband grew up, we were invited to a Pig Pick'in.

I asked what was that, and said "I don't think sooo"!! Ever been to a Turkey Shoot? I thought they shot turkeys.

Never-the-less, the learning curve is steep. We'll keep you on track. Hope you feel better by Saturday.

Lisa

We have greased pigs here in Oregon (Or EE Gun..not..Or EE Gone). Went Chicken pickin...once...never again. I'm learning to never assume anything...

After all this my tests will probably come out negative and they will tell me there is nothing wrong

with me :P

darlindeb25 Collaborator

After all this my tests will probably come out negative and they will tell me there is nothing wrong

with me

Awwwwwwwww Jerry, I think the spelt already proved you can't have gluten!!!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

I have a spelt story:

A couple months ago, I was watching QVC :ph34r: , and the host was presenting a waffle iron. He said that if you were gluten intolerant, you could always use spelt flour instead to make your waffles.

Well, of course I had to email him and politely set him straight! So, I did, and felt much better :P

I had all but forgotten about it when about 3 weeks later, I got an email from the host saying his wife actually had a wheat allergy and that's why he said it. Now that he knew the difference (thanks to me) , he said he wouldn't make the same mistake again.

Just thought I'd share--a lot of people out there get confused about these things. We always have to be on the ball :D

zansu Rookie

This was how I (inadvertently) did my gluten challenge :rolleyes: !!! My wheat allergy friend did it to me!

lonewolf Collaborator

Wait, what am I missing? What's a turkey shoot?

Jerry - you're in good company with the spelt. I thought it was okay for me too after avoiding wheat for about 7 years. It just about killed me.

miles2go Contributor

And don't forget that kamut is an another ancient form of wheat. I was lucky enough to have come across Jax Peters Lowell's advice to "run, not walk" to a nutritionist who gently informed me of those facts even though I wasn't and haven't been medically diagnosed as celiac...although I've done plenty of other stupid things since, not all related to celiac. ;) I've heard others say in line at the marketplace at work that they're gluten-free and then go on to talk about how they're glad they have their spelt bread. I just don't know what to say to folks like that in a fleeting moment of a lunch half-hour's time.

Sounds like you're feeling better, hope that's the case!

Margaret

ENF Enthusiast

Just today I saw loaves of frozen Ezekiel yeast-free rice bread, but the ingredients on the back of the plastic bag listed wheat as an ingredient. You have to be really careful - even in health-food stores.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Yup, I was told Ezekiel bread was gluten free and to try it. I read the ingredients and knew there was no way it was gluten-free. Some people just do not understand what gluten free means.

• 2 weeks later...
JEM123 Newbie
And don't forget that kamut is an another ancient form of wheat. I was lucky enough to have come across Jax Peters Lowell's advice to "run, not walk" to a nutritionist who gently informed me of those facts even though I wasn't and haven't been medically diagnosed as celiac...although I've done plenty of other stupid things since, not all related to celiac. ;) I've heard others say in line at the marketplace at work that they're gluten-free and then go on to talk about how they're glad they have their spelt bread. I just don't know what to say to folks like that in a fleeting moment of a lunch half-hour's time.

Sounds like you're feeling better, hope that's the case!

Margaret

When I first went gluten-free I went out and bought all the supplies I needed and did hours and hours of research on my newly diagnosed celiac disease. One day I was eating dinner when I looked at my vitamin label and saw spelt! OMG...I had been glutening myself without even knowing. Also, two other sources of hidden gluten is Fu which means wheat in asian cooking and Hing in Indian cooking. Hing is a nautrally gluten free herb and it's quiet expensive. It is diluted with wheat flour after it's processed. More things that we have to keep a look out for.

Archived